PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 dies 3 piece set, who make the best??????

haff202
01-17-2009, 11:47 AM
I am new to reloading and just want to load for the 45-70. I have no equipment but do not want to load to load. If Iam going to reload then I might as well reload to best I can. As I make my list of supplies I need the dollar amount keeps growing. I do not want to buy something and have it break on me. Quality products only. WHAT IS THE BEST 3 PIECE 45-70 DIE SET OUT THERE??????

I saw a youtube video and the guy compared two die sets of the same caliber.

ddeaton
01-17-2009, 12:22 PM
I like Redding, but use all brands. Reddings are $$ though

August
01-17-2009, 09:14 PM
I have a Hornady set and am happy with it. In particular, the seating die has a bushing that drops down to guide lead bullets into place without much, in any, shaving of lead. The expander works well in this set also.

largom
01-17-2009, 09:26 PM
I mostly use Redding dies but for my 45-70 I use Hornady with a Lee factory crimp die.
LARRY

flutedchamber
01-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Well, it looks like you are getting replies from all corners of the manufacturing world. I have a set of RCBS which serves me very well. However I must say the set of dies that I work with are over 35 years old.

Lee makes excellent dies for a very reasonable price. If you are on a limited budget, or even if you aren't ...there isn't anything wrong with Lee dies. I own about a dozen sets and are extremely pleased with all of them.

e15cap
01-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Redding

R.C. Hatter
01-18-2009, 02:06 AM
I have loaded .45/70 cartridges since 1964, and I use a set of RCBS dies with
complete satisfaction, that I bought back then. I have four rifles in that caliber.
The dies are still in good condition. I've loaded many hundreds of rounds with them.

cajun shooter
01-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Since you are on this site, I will assume that you intend to use cast boolits. That being said the RCBS Cowboy dies are made for that purpose. As all the others have stated, Lee does make a good die for the money but I think the RCBS beat them for this purpose.

missionary5155
01-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Good morning Greetings and WELCOME !!!
I have possibly all brands... I generally look to Lee first and if they have that caliber ( I have a few strange things) I get theirs.
For cast I realise I may need to open the Lee seater die( I like FAT boolits) . But I Have had to Open the seater die for other brands also. May need a fatter case beller for any brand.
I personally like the seater Lee makes. That little sliding sleeve does seem to help align boolits into the case neck. I have experimented putting boolits in slanted into the die.. The die gets the boolit straight. I have another brand that will NOT do that as well. But then the directions do say to keep it near straight up.
Price being half of most others.. Lee wins. BUT I also see if maybe I can turn up a good used set from other companies. Redding are very GOOD dies !
God Bless you !

gon2shoot
01-18-2009, 10:09 AM
I changed to the RCBS cowboy set and have been pleased with it. Had some trouble with cast in other ones.

1hole
01-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Dies are dies, they all work fine or they couldn't survive in the retail market. Seems the less experience with other brands some folks have, the more tied to a single brand they are.

That said, for any straight-wall cartridges, both Lyman and Redding have a two-step + flair expander design that works better than any other type. They work great for both jacketed and cast bullets.

You should also get a Lee Factory Crimp Die, making you a four die set. Lee's is the best crimper available simply because it isn't so "case length" dependant for consistant results.