PDA

View Full Version : Ammunition on airlines

cwtebay
12-31-2021, 11:32 AM
I see that one can carry 11 pounds of loaded ammunition on a flight per TSA's website. I was under the impression that amount is per person. I just called the airline counter and was told that it is per flight, and I would have to declare how much I have packed so the airline can figure how much others can bring.
Does that make sense?
I am planning on taking ammunition to my daughter in February as well as hunt pigs while I am there so 11# won't go all that far!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Martin Luber
12-31-2021, 11:51 AM
11lb per person is what l went by when l was traveling, otherwise how would they know how many people intended to carry until after the first checked in?

waksupi
12-31-2021, 02:35 PM
Just ship it.

cwtebay
12-31-2021, 02:49 PM
Just ship it.I did think about that!
The gentleman that I hunt with uses 6.8spc for all of his hunting and I found a good sized amount for a very reasonable price. It looks like it will weigh around 40#, plus my daughter's ammunition would make 60#ish which is quite doable with the 7 of us travelling (as well as sorta/ kinda free with the airfare) - but is holy monkies expensive to ship! If it comes down to it, I'll have to though.

Bmi48219
12-31-2021, 04:55 PM
Just ship it.

I shipped some loaded ammo several years back. UPS was the only carrier I could find that would. The max per package was 300 rounds. I think there was a max weight per package but not sure what it was. The rounds to be in cartridge boxes, not loose rounds or touching each other. Shipping box they were in had to be fully cushioned.
I had it all packaged and taped when I took it to UPS. The lady at shipping said she was supposed to inspect the contents but trusted me. So six years ago it cost me $25.50 to ship 300 rounds of 40 S&W approximately 1200 miles.
I wonder if a FFL could handle OP’s shipping.

dverna
12-31-2021, 05:09 PM
It is 11 lbs per person.

cwtebay
12-31-2021, 05:16 PM
Airline employee did call me back. It is per person, the first employee was mistaken.
Thank you all for your knowledge.

Froogal
12-31-2021, 05:31 PM
Buy ammo from an on-line supplier. Have it shipped to your daughter.

cwtebay
12-31-2021, 05:37 PM
Buy ammo from an on-line supplier. Have it shipped to your daughter. That for my daughter is home brew, I don't think she'll be able to afford to shoot too much if it has to be purchased at today's prices.
I shipped her primers and powder and boolits for Christmas, she has her Lee Loader so hopefully this will keep her supplied for a little while.

Stewbaby
12-31-2021, 08:05 PM
That for my daughter is home brew, I don't think she'll be able to afford to shoot too much if it has to be purchased at today's prices.
I shipped her primers and powder and boolits for Christmas, she has her Lee Loader so hopefully this will keep her supplied for a little while.

…unless you have Hazmat, don’t ship primers and / or powder. Loaded ammo though is shippable in ‘limited qty’ labeled box via common carrier and ground only. Primed cases also ok…but loose/bulk primers a no no without Hazmat certification (and dangerous to those traveling on any plane it ends up on)

cwtebay
12-31-2021, 08:40 PM
…unless you have Hazmat, don’t ship primers and / or powder. Loaded ammo though is shippable in ‘limited qty’ labeled box via common carrier and ground only. Primed cases also ok…but loose/bulk primers a no no without Hazmat certification (and dangerous to those traveling on any plane it ends up on)YES! Tru dat!! I shipped those straight from the FFL and powder valley.

Teenahlake
01-02-2022, 03:47 AM
It is actually supposed to be based on propellant weight, but the airlines would have no way to figure that out so just use total weight

https://saami.org/transportation-and-storage-regulation-information/transport-data-sheets/un-0012-1-4s-ammunition-by-international-air/