PDA

View Full Version : Lube still on the boolits??

sniper7369
01-17-2009, 10:44 AM
The other day I was digging boolits out of my bullet trap and I noticed that they all still had most, if not all, of the lube still in the groove.
I can't help but think that if the lube is still on the boolit that it isn't really doing it's job, right?
It happened with my 90gr 9mm, 200gr .45, and 230gr .45 boolits. I'm using Lyman Orange Magic, i it possible that I need to use a softer lube?

jonk
01-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Well the lube can't really GO anywhere, it is sandwiched between a lead rock and a hard place.

There have been a lot of discussions on how lube really works. I just satisfy myself that it does.

mooman76
01-17-2009, 10:56 AM
When you change the oil or lube your car there is oil or lube left over from before. Does that mean it didn't do it job either?

HeavyMetal
01-17-2009, 11:09 AM
The real answer is in your barrel.

If your not getting any leading, the lube is good. I am curious as to how much is actually left on the boolits.

If your seeing lead deposits than it's time to re think the lube your using. I've never worked with Lyman's Orange lube but I have used the Moly.

If your Orange lube is leading try the Moly, it is softer than I like but has performed well I'd like to se a "firmer" moly lube on the market but until then I have had good luck with carnuba Red as well.

44man
01-17-2009, 11:17 AM
The lube is most likely working in the bore but what I don't like about a hard lube like Orange Magic is a chunk can break out of the groove and throw the boolit out of balance.
I was shipped a box of boolits once and half of the lube was broken out and laying in the bottom of the box. No way I would ever shoot with the stuff.
I like soft sticky lube.
If you take a finger nail and push on the lube in the grooves and it doesn't chunk out, it is OK.

kooz
01-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Their are many theories about how much and what kind of lube is best and also what mechanism gets it from the bullet to the barrel, but really all that matters in the end is whether or not your barrel is leading, and if it isn't your good.

OLPDon
01-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Sniper:

Below is a link which will show you what you should see at the on your muzzle. If its there it's doing its job.
Don
Click on Lube ref. Scroll to Lube Star and there is great picture of what you should see.
http://www.castpics.net/index.htm

jdgabbard
01-17-2009, 01:35 PM
I wish that my lube star looks a perty as that one. My barrel always shows the tell tell sign of overlubing. What is bad is when you get over lubing signs and then take a peek in the barrel only to discover that you do in fact have a case of the leading.

Maven
01-17-2009, 03:10 PM
sniper..., You can add petrolatum (Vaseline or supermarket brand) to soften Orange Magic.

GLynn41
01-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Odd the Orange magic i used several years ago was so soft almost like vaseline- wonder when they harden it -- I used the black moly and it does work-- best or my fav bought was mirror bore? but have seen or heard of it in a long time. As to left on lube when I recover it is from the ground and there is never any lube left -- even bought bullets like Lead heads

sniper7369
01-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys. :drinks:
Thanks very much for that link to the pic of the lube star too OLPDon.

The thing is I AM getting leading. I have slugged my bores and adjusted my boolit sizes accordingly. I was .001 under in one of the 9mm's and both of the .45's. Even with the larger boolits and especially at higher velocities in the 9mm with the 90gr boolit the leading is pretty bad.
I go out to the shop tomorrow and take some pics of the boolits I recovered from the dirt trap. There is a LOT of lube still in the groove. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have not taken note of the lube star at the muzzle of any of my pistols.
Thanks for the info guys, I've been at a loss with the leading lately. :(