PDA

View Full Version : Lee 7.5x54 French Dies & the Alternative C&H

Eddie1971
12-31-2021, 06:38 AM
Recently I grabbed a couple of MAS-36 rifles in pristine condition. Had one years ago but foolishly got rid of it when PPU ammo was embargoed during the Balkan Wars of the early 90's. Anyways, I noticed that 7.5 French dies have become a rarity again. I am a hardcore RCBS user, and they have discontinued this caliber it looks like. I called C&H and they were at that moment out as well and not sure when they would be back in stock, so I bought a set of 3 die Lee from a vendor I use on eBay that I have gotten lots of Lee molds from. I should have read this forum before because that was a total waste of money. What I have read exactly happened to me, the Lee FL sizer is not cut right dimensionally and it makes your PPU cases into belted magnum cases. Now I have one seized in the die and have to beak it free.

Thankfully C&H did a run and I got a neck size and FL size set from them. I know you have to pay more for C&H but they are well worth it. Last few die sets I have gotten from Lee have been terrible - 7.62x25, 8x50 Lebel and 9mm Luger sizer that the carbide insert wore out after 500 rounds. Silver lining is I have FCD in the box to use. Seems like RCBS has really scaled back the calibers they make for dies and if you need a die for an obsolete round C&H is the way to go. Anybody else reloading 7.5 French here?