PDA

View Full Version : Lyman sabot slug

Jim
01-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Lyman makes a slug mold called the Sabot Slug. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it in smooth bore shotguns. If so, how does it perform at, say, 50 yds.? Think I could get a 3" group out of it?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=236595

phaessler
01-17-2009, 02:16 PM
I have a few I can send you if you wanted to play. I have only ever shot them in a rifled barrel, but instructions say otherwise.....

Here is the data sheet that I got with mine from Lyman....

Pete

Gunfixer
01-17-2009, 04:56 PM
I am getting 4" @50 using AA hull load and aa12F114 wad( last one on the chart phaessler posted) 18" mossberg 500 bead sight. Just got a rifle sight slug barrel (smooth bore) for the 835. Be about a week before I can go shoot em in it. Fun to cast, not fun with mossberg pad. swapped to decelerator. MORE BETTER.

phaessler
01-17-2009, 07:22 PM
I have had moderate success with AA hulls (grey ones) the claybuster red 12F114 wad, and 40-42grains of BlueDot, but thru a rifled Mossberg 500, 100yd groups are 2" for the first 5, then they can beat you up quickly.

Jim
01-17-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm thinking about buying a mold to cast that slug. That would be one H311 of a "front door gun" load.

dk17hmr
01-17-2009, 10:24 PM
That would be one H311 of a "front door gun" load.

With the hollow base seated forward?

charger 1
01-18-2009, 06:05 AM
I have had moderate success with AA hulls (grey ones) the claybuster red 12F114 wad, and 40-42grains of BlueDot, but thru a rifled Mossberg 500, 100yd groups are 2" for the first 5, then they can beat you up quickly.

Seriously. You broke two inches. Could I please have the complete recipe? Up here most guys have found 2-3" at 50 and who knows where at 100

HBAR2989
01-18-2009, 09:16 AM
My load is 45gr of bluedot in a yellow win AA 1 1/4 oz wad. I use low brass rem. hulls because these are straight hulls, not tapered like AA hulls. I found my best groups are from a extended rifled tube. better than fully rifled. I can keep my shots touching or almost @ 50yds with my 1187/870. These loads are stout, but are out of lymans data.

centershot
01-18-2009, 07:55 PM
FORTY-FIVE grains of Blue Dot?!?! OOOWWWCH! :-? It hurts just thinking about it!

shotman
01-19-2009, 01:58 AM
I loaded a .728 ball on 30gr of blue dot and that was enough for me. 25gr is ok and and it went through a 5gal bucket of sand. I would not even try 45gr

Jim
01-19-2009, 06:19 AM
.....25gr is ok and and it went through a 5gal bucket of sand.....

That's impressive.

turbo1889
01-19-2009, 11:13 AM
FORTY-FIVE grains of Blue Dot?!?! OOOWWWCH! :-? It hurts just thinking about it!

I loaded a .728 ball on 30gr of blue dot and that was enough for me. 25gr is ok and and it went through a 5gal bucket of sand. I would not even try 45gr

Well then if that's true, if you knew how many grains of "STEEL" powder I use to load the Lyman 525 wad-slug for my super-magnum 3-1/2" 12ga. loads your hair would stand up straight on the back of your neck. Of course that gun is a NEF-USH with thumb hole stock where the stock and forend that's been lead weighted plus an after market recoil pad on the back of the stock.

ovendoctor
01-19-2009, 07:14 PM
been shooting the 525 for a few years
never had a deer get up and complain about it:drinks:
shoot them out of a mod 37 & a weatherby OU
fun to cast,cheap to shoot,rocks your world if your not prepared for it[smilie=1:

Doc.

HBAR2989
01-19-2009, 07:57 PM
It seems for me that 45gr has given me the best accuracy. 45gr of blue dot does rock your world , but shooting at a deer its not so noticable.

charger 1
01-19-2009, 08:09 PM
It seems for me that 45gr has given me the best accuracy. 45gr of blue dot does rock your world , but shooting at a deer its not so noticable.

And how's the deer fair out? You get a burger or two left?

mikenbarb
01-19-2009, 08:43 PM
I have tried them all and I get best accuracy from the Lee keyed slugs. Took me a while to develop a good accurate load but it was well worth the time.:-D
Just make sure you stay within the recommended load data for them and go to work. Just never go below their minimum or above their maximum powder charge because it could have serious results to your barrel(And face). And dont ever change the components they list for that specific load. A simple wad style change can create alot of extra pressure.
Im loading within the Lee slug data with 48.0gr. Blue Dot and it packs a big punch. The max is 49.0gr with Premier hulls and WAA12 wads.:veryconfu

Heavy lead
01-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Please share Mike.

mikenbarb
01-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Heres my most accurate loads to date and im still tweaking them to get better,
Lee 1oz keyed slug cast from pure lead.
Winchester AA hull.(Red one)
Winchester WAA12 wad.
Winchester 209 primer.
34.5gr. Herco powder.

Heres another good one that reaches out far,
Lee Keyed slug cast from pure lead.
Remington Premier hull.
Winchester WAA12 wad.
Winchester 209 primer.
48.0gr. Blue Dot powder.

Both loads are star crimped with a 6 point loose crimp and I shoot them from a Remington 1100 with a custom Badger fully rifled barrel. Im cutting a ragged hole @ 75 yds and im real good out to 175-200 yds(Approx 7"). and im comfortable shooting these out to 225 yds. if I absolutly had to.

mmarke
01-19-2009, 09:01 PM
I have had great success casting and shooting the Lyman slug. It looks like a giant air gun pellet and after several years of hunting whitetail deer I have never had a deer walk more than a few yards before giving up the ghost. Usually they drop like a sack of potatoes with a well placed shot.

I use win AA hulls behind 42 grs of bluedot powder. On my 12 gauge, Rem 870 shotgun I was initially using a smooth modified choke barrel with sights that clipped on to the ventilated rib. Memory serves me correctly, I was getting 3 - 4 inch group out to 75 yards. Few years back, I bought a Remington rifled barrel / scope combo for the 870 from WalMart. It was a surprise find. I had no idea that Remington still made rifled barrels with scopes for the 870 !!! I was in WalMart looking for fishing lures.

With the rifled barrel and scope I am shooting 2-3 inch groups out to 100 yards. No reason for me to shoot any longer ranges as my hunting area is not that wide open and I would suspect the slug would lose a lot of energy at that distance. However, the scope is a great advantage to these old man's eyes.

One thing I found that greatly improved accuracy when shooting the Lyman shotgun slug was to weigh the slug before loading. The occasional flyer that I would experience at the range has now been eliminated. I re-melt the few slugs that cast too light or too heavy from the normal range. I weigh each slug for consistency and every other powder charge to make sure the powder amounts do not vary.

By the way, either using a smooth bore or a rifled barrel these slugs generate a noticeable recoil when shooting, but seeing the deer drop on their feet negates the kick. Happy hunting.

Heavy lead
01-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Heres my most accurate loads to date and im still tweaking them to get better,
Lee 1oz keyed slug cast from pure lead.
Winchester AA hull.(Red one)
Winchester WAA12 wad.
Winchester 209 primer.
34.5gr. Herco powder.

Heres another good one that reaches out far,
Lee Keyed slug cast from pure lead.
Remington Premier hull.
Winchester WAA12 wad.
Winchester 209 primer.
48.0gr. Blue Dot powder.

Both loads are star crimped with a 6 point loose crimp and I shoot them from a Remington 1100 with a custom Badger fully rifled barrel. Im cutting a ragged hole @ 75 yds and im real good out to 175-200 yds(Approx 7"). and im comfortable shooting these out to 225 yds. if I absolutly had to.

That's real good shootin' I have a 11-87 with a factory fully rifled barrel, I have the 7/8 ounce Lee, but haven't shot it yet, is yours the 1 ounce or the 7/8? Also what does your barrel slug?

briang
01-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey Mike, I just started using the Lee slug and the load I am using is close to the first one you listed. I'm having problems with the wad sticking to the slug. Did you have this problem and if so how did you fix it? Thanks

mikenbarb
01-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Are you using a Winchester WAA wad and what do you mean by sticking? After it leaves the muzzle?
Heavy, I dont slug my barrels on my slugguns because im shooting sabots and they take up any slop thats left with the wad expansion.
These loads using Blue Dot put out approx 3100ft.lbs. at the muzzle and they will retain approx 2200 @ 100yds and still have approx 1400+ft.lbs.@ 200yds so its plenty to drop almost any big game animal within reason. Some new style factory 3" slugs are putting out close to 4000ft.lbs.(Yes, 4000ft.lbs.) energy so they pack a big wallop.

briang
01-20-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm pretty sure they're WAA, got them from a friend. The bottom of the wad gets forced up into the back of the slug, around the drive key, holding it to some of the slugs. I can them whining/ buzzing going downrange and have found some wads as far out as 80 yards. I figure that's where my flyer's are coming from. I was thinking a nitro card under the slug would help, but haven't tried it yet.

Silicon Wolverine
01-20-2009, 12:33 AM
i modded my drive key mold by milling off the ears that stick up from the base and making it solid. its heavier and it cuts down on max range to about 125 yards but it solves the wad problem and makes a harder hitting round.

SW

mikenbarb
01-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I havnt had that problem with them but just make sure their real WAA wads and not knock offs. Try putting a small amount of liquid Alox on the base to see if that helps with the release and dont use alot of wad pressure. They only require about 20-30 pounds at most. I use 15-20 and they shoot great.

briang
01-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Guess I'll grab some more and see if it goes away with those. The ones I have may well be knock offs, got them from a friend in a ziplock bag, I'll save 'em trap loads. Thanks

mikenbarb
01-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Brian, If you want me to send you the components im using shoot me a PM with your info. I will send a bunch out for you to try to make sure your machine is set up proper and you can compare notes. You will just need to prime the hulls, add powder and put in the components I send. I can also send a dummy round so you can see how I crimp them.

briang
01-20-2009, 08:26 PM
(Picks jaw off floor) Thanks Mike, you're a great guy. PM sent.

mikenbarb
01-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks Brian and thats what this site is all about. I have learned a great deal here and made alot of great friends and consider this my second home. Im sure lots of others feel the same way I do and its the least I can do to help a good guy out.:drinks:
Goodies will ship out tommorow or Wednesday.