PDA

View Full Version : Beware Technology

Pavia
12-29-2021, 07:22 PM
A few years ago I put all my loads on my IPad using “AmmoTracker”. Used it successfully for all my activity and range notes. It was easy and did it’s job for my needs.

Well today I go to load some 44 Special and went to checked my load on AmmoTracker and I get a message that the Developer needs to update their app to work with IOS (which constantly updates). Apparently the app owner is long gone.

All my data for the last ten years is gone.

I’ll go back to Excel or pencil and paper from now on. Lesson learned…

Luckily my 44 Special load is the old reliable Skeeter load, so it didn’t stop me from my reloading session… 👍

Winger Ed.
12-29-2021, 07:28 PM
I keep my important load data in a hard cover note book with a page or two for the calibers and firearms I load for.
So far, no problems.

Gtek
12-29-2021, 07:28 PM
My notebooks and files can crash now and I just need to make an old man noise and pick them up, I know of this aggravation!

Outer Rondacker
12-29-2021, 08:06 PM
I AM another one for hard copy paper back note book.

Wild Bill 7
12-29-2021, 08:37 PM
I keep all of mine in a note pad. It can’t crash and big brother can’t see what I do either. These slim balls want to know your every move. Let’s go Brandon.

dannyd
12-29-2021, 10:03 PM
I use a Libreoffice spreadsheet and email it to myself every time I update it.

cwtebay
12-29-2021, 11:08 PM
I too trust online load data.
I always print a copy when I find a load I like or am interested in. My 3 ring binder (s) are getting ridiculous.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

45-70 Chevroner
12-29-2021, 11:10 PM
When Midway came out with it's own gun cleaning kit, I bought one and it must have been 25 or more years ago. It is a about 18" Long by 10" high and 10" wide, it came white a three ring binder with all kinds of targets spread sheets (paper)��. These were set up to keep track of your loads, each sheet was set up for one caliber. It had room at the end of each line for notes. I love this binder, it is real easy to keep track of load data such as kind of bullet, bullet weight, powder type and grains, muzzle velocity, brand of shell, brand of primer. I take it with me to the range put it on the bench and write info down right there.

45-70 Chevroner
12-29-2021, 11:12 PM
[QUOTE=45-70 Chevroner;5325542]When Midway came out with it's own gun cleaning kit, I bought one and it must have been 25 or more years ago. It is a about 18" Long by 10" high and 10" wide, it came white a three ring binder with all kinds of targets spread sheets (paper)��. These were set up to keep track of your loads, each sheet was set up for one caliber. It had room at the end of each line for notes. I love this binder, it is real easy to keep track of load data such as kind of bullet, bullet weight, powder type and grains, muzzle velocity, brand of shell, brand of primer. I take it with me to the range put it on the bench and write info down right there. The sheets are as thick as card stock.

12-29-2021, 11:25 PM
Spring backed note pad is the only way I go.

charlie b
12-29-2021, 11:59 PM
Nope, I am a tech guy. I learned about portability of files decades ago when software companies would come and go. I do not use a program/hardware that works with proprietary files unless I can save to a standard format.

All my personal reloading data is in text files on my phone. Backed up weekly and also stored on my PC and USB stick.

When I find a manual I like I scan it and save it to the data files as well. Then I give the manual to someone else. Same with other online data sources.

I also do this with subject matter from my other hobbies. Have been storing data this way for over 20 yrs on PC's, then later on phones and tablets.

Bigslug
12-30-2021, 01:15 AM
If I could buy a cell phone that's powered by coal fire and steam, I would.

gc45
12-30-2021, 01:46 AM
I store nothing on my computer or anybody's App. I DO use my thumb drive for all such things but it's never kept in my laptop unless being used, by me! Old fashioned maybe, but it works and is not subject to anothers eyes or website. I do this as a precausion because many people around the world can see our stuff! we are to trusting IMO-

megasupermagnum
12-30-2021, 01:50 AM
I'm not familiar with that app, but your data is almost certainly not lost yet. A quick search shows this app got the axe in 2019, and they issued a warning to email your data to yourself for a backup. I'd have to see your phone to see if that is still possible or not. I'm an Android/Microsoft guy myself, but you can probably uninstall the latest IOS update. If you do that, your app should function again, and you could backup all your data. Before you do anything, I'd plug that into a computer and manually copy all your data files for that app onto your computer. Again, I'm not familiar with Apple, but this is very easy with Android and Microsoft. I don't know how well Apple and Microsoft get along. Now the next thing is completely depending on how the app was made. *Usually* you can then open individual files with something like Microsoft wordpad (word is not as good for this) and get text good enough you can then write down all your load data. According to the following link, which I believe is for your app, the files are .CSV files. These are generally opened on spreadsheets like Microsoft Excel, or whatever the Apple version is.

http://www.arnonecoders.com/parnonesoftware/AmmoTracker.html

Pavia
12-30-2021, 08:54 AM
Thanks!

Wag
12-30-2021, 09:53 AM
I use a spiral notebook but I constantly think I could build an MRP system (or buy one) that tracks a lot more than just the basic load data. Most MRP systems are far more complicated than I want to put up with, though, so I may go to Excel at some point.

Some day........ :D

--Wag--

John Guedry
12-30-2021, 11:03 AM
I keep a 3 ring looseleaf binder with all my load data. There are also tags for each box of ammo in the box. About a month ago I happened to look in one and the load seened awful "hot" the tag in the box was way off. Pulled two random boolets and weighed the powder charges,they agreed with my notebook. Must have had a "senior moment" episode.

Green Frog
12-30-2021, 11:12 AM
I’ve been using various Apple/MacIntosh products for about 35 years now. In the early days they had a proprietary set of apps that was roughly equivalent to the “Office” suite of Windows. It included a great little word processing program called “Write Now” that had all of my text files on it (primarily tests since I was teaching.) When Apple stopped supporting this whole program and went to “Office for Mac” I lost access to all of my old files, or so I thought. With the Mac, at least, you can do a work around called “open with” and recover your data, but perhaps with some loss of formatting.

I went through all of this screed Pavia to suggest that there may well be a work around for you as well. I certainly wouldn’t give up all that data without a fight. Do you know any teenagers that could perhaps help you? :mrgreen:

Froggie

murf205
12-30-2021, 11:42 AM
I am not a Luddite by any stretch but by the same token, I have never seen a note book crash or get hacked!

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-30-2021, 11:43 AM
To me, this hobby of casting and reloading, just lends itself to using paper notebooks. There just isn't a need for megabytes of storage, or the ability to cross reference, or to compile data in a spreadsheet. While I do create an index in each notebook, even that isn't really necessary.

Scrounge
12-30-2021, 11:45 AM
I’ve been using various Apple/MacIntosh products for about 35 years now. In the early days they had a proprietary set of apps that was roughly equivalent to the “Office” suite of Windows. It included a great little word processing program called “Write Now” that had all of my text files on it (primarily tests since I was teaching.) When Apple stopped supporting this whole program and went to “Office for Mac” I lost access to all of my old files, or so I thought. With the Mac, at least, you can do a work around called “open with” and recover your data, but perhaps with some loss of formatting.

I went through all of this screed Pavia to suggest that there may well be a work around for you as well. I certainly wouldn’t give up all that data without a fight. Do you know any teenagers that could perhaps help you? :mrgreen:

Froggie

If the data is saved as a csv file, any text editor, and most word processing software or spreadsheet will read it. CSV stands for Comma Separated Values. Notepad or Wordpad in Windows will read it, as will Word, Excel, or LibreOffice. You'll get a string of numbers and words with commas separating them, and you can import them to Excel or LibreOffice, program something to put them in a different format, or just use them as-is. My favorite spreadsheet was Lotus 123. Which is now in the public domain. Used to be able to run it in a dos window in Win10, but not remembering how to do it anymore. Probably need to pull my head out...

Bill

dannyd
12-30-2021, 01:12 PM
I am not a Luddite by any stretch but by the same token, I have never seen a note book crash or get hacked!

Saw an old guy years ago forgot his book at the Range probably 50 years of information gone. So to each it's own, but they all have an up and down side.

mdi
12-30-2021, 01:36 PM
I started with a note book pre computer, about '87 or so, then went to a 3 ring binder. When I got a computer I recorded loads in a plain document format and printed pages for the binder, giving me a hard copy kept in my shop and data on my computer. I now have three binders from around '90 to present. I also like to write the load I am working with on a sticky note and stick it to my powder measure when done I put the note in a folder, so I actually have three places to store data. I'm sure there are better programs for recording data (I have a Lee floppy disc with a load program, somewhere, that I picked up aroung '88 or so.). Maybe when I get more "computer savvy" I'll learn how to make a spread sheet fit my needs, but so far I can find a d duplicate loads from way back. I also put good targets with data in my binders. I can go see my 7/8" group I shot from my 308 Ruger bolt gun...

dannyd
12-30-2021, 02:18 PM
I started with a note book pre computer, about '87 or so, then went to a 3 ring binder. When I got a computer I recorded loads in a plain document format and printed pages for the binder, giving me a hard copy kept in my shop and data on my computer. I now have three binders from around '90 to present. I also like to write the load I am working with on a sticky note and stick it to my powder measure when done I put the note in a folder, so I actually have three places to store data. I'm sure there are better programs for recording data (I have a Lee floppy disc with a load program, somewhere, that I picked up aroung '88 or so.). Maybe when I get more "computer savvy" I'll learn how to make a spread sheet fit my needs, but so far I can find a d duplicate loads from way back. I also put good targets with data in my binders. I can go see my 7/8" group I shot from my 308 Ruger bolt gun...

I take a picture with the phone now and import it into the spreadsheet with the Chronograph data. But I am also an IT guy; others paid for my training so I should be ahead of regular people's learning curve. ;)

megasupermagnum
12-30-2021, 03:31 PM

I sure have. I've lost more notebooks to water and other loss than I have seen make it 10 years. I only use bright colored Rite in the Rain now. They really do work, even a thunderstorm doesn't effect them.

405grain
12-30-2021, 03:40 PM
I back up all my notes onto a couple of thumb drives. I save them as Excel, Word, & PDF documents. Today when I turned on the computer I get a window telling me that windows needs to back up a bunch of programs. I'm not a fan of cloud based pay as you go operating systems, but it is what it is. So, it requests me to log in to do the download. I log in and it says password and user name not accepted. Fine. I hit the "remind me later button". Time to fire up the printer. Good thing I've got lots of ink cartridges, but looks like I'll need to make a run over to an office supply store and buy a boat load of three ring binders.

Baltimoreed
12-30-2021, 05:04 PM
My current pet load is written on a 1.5x 3 inch label on the top of the plastic mtm ammo box that said ammo lives in. Sticker is moved to a 3x5 card when or if things change. Kinda works for me but I don’t change things very often.

David2011
12-30-2021, 07:06 PM
For those of you that think you’re backing up to USB drives, you’re fooling yourselves. The only thing better at losing data than USB thumb drives/memory sticks was floppy discs. After 25 years in IT and most of that for a Fortune 100 company, I’ve had to tell way too many people that their data was gone. USB hard drives can fail too but they’re still more reliable than thumb drives. I back up to two external USB hard drives.

USB thumb drives are great for moving data and viruses around, though. No matter how many times you tell engineering school graduates not to pass thumb drives around, they’re still smarter than everyone else.

Outer Rondacker
12-30-2021, 08:08 PM
I just dont want to rely on power. My reloading tools all work manually. Power is out I can still reload on a snowy day watching the flakes fall.

murf205
12-30-2021, 09:25 PM
I sure have. I've lost more notebooks to water and other loss than I have seen make it 10 years. I only use bright colored Rite in the Rain now. They really do work, even a thunderstorm doesn't effect them.

I'm sure that we/I could loose anything or have the elements destroy data. I don't take my notebook to the range but transfer the data when I get home. In the end, it is what ever works for the individual.

uscra112
12-30-2021, 09:34 PM
Not quite a Luddite or I wouldn't be posting on this forum, but I DO refuse to replace my XP-Pro operating system or any of the executive software I've been running since the '90s. For safety's sake I clone my entire system to spare hard drives every three months or so. Nothing, but NOTHING goes onto the 'net or into "the cloud". I've got "apps" running that I picked up at the dawn of the DOS era, before there was ever a Window in sight. ,

almar
12-30-2021, 09:47 PM
I print or write everything now, i keep it in a binder with separators so i can add, remove or replace pages as desired. I lost everything twice, not going to happen that easily now.

megasupermagnum
12-30-2021, 10:02 PM
I'm sure that we/I could loose anything or have the elements destroy data. I don't take my notebook to the range but transfer the data when I get home. In the end, it is what ever works for the individual.

How do you take notes at the range then?

murf205
12-30-2021, 11:14 PM
With a pen, on the notes where I wrote the load down that I am shooting. I leave enough room for the notes and transcribe when I get home.

charlie b
12-30-2021, 11:45 PM
Luddite? Yeah, in some ways. Like using usb sticks to store stuff. Funny I've had two that are over 10yrs old now and they still have all the files on it in good condition. FWIW, I don't rely on them as my only backup. Phone, PC hard drive, card and USB stick.

I do use the cloud. Mainly as a way to easily transfer files from one device to another. I store some data and pics there, but, I only use a free service to storage space is limited.

I wish I had started with a spreadsheet or database. Cross reference data from shooting sessions, sort by bullet, case, etc. Track velocities. Could have even included target information.

And, yes, I have lost hard data before. During one of many household moves I lost a box of reference notebooks (engineering stuff). I had neglected to transcribe the data to a computer disk (what we had a the time). That cost me more than just some time.

mjwcaster
12-31-2021, 07:21 PM
I keep load data in a spreadsheet, a new sheet for each loading session.
Print it out and put it in my binder that’s carried to the basement loading room. Binder also includes copies of data from manuals so I can sanity check my loads before loading.

I can take the binder to the range with me to take notes if I want.
Sometimes I even remember to update my spreadsheet with my notes.

It’s far from perfect, just thrown together years ago, but it still works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NyFirefighter357
12-31-2021, 08:21 PM
Apache Open office should be able to open these files and is free.

https://www.openoffice.org/download/

tazman
12-31-2021, 08:36 PM
Open Office is so good, I have used it to open files that Microsoft office claimed were corrupted and could not open.
Not only did it open them, but when I saved them in the proprietary Office format, Microsoft Office was then able to open them and work with them.
I cannot recommend Open Office enough.

indian joe
12-31-2021, 08:50 PM
Open Office is so good, I have used it to open files that Microsoft office claimed were corrupted and could not open.
Not only did it open them, but when I saved them in the proprietary Office format, Microsoft Office was then able to open them and work with them.
I cannot recommend Open Office enough.

I write my load data on the wall above the loading bench - right in front of me face . Hackers cant get it - the book dont get lost - and I have no intention of painting the joint anytime soon. once I get a load (or several) that works for that rifle it dont get changed. 35years worth in a 2 foot square patch. calibre - boolit - powder - what else do we need?

uscra112
12-31-2021, 09:51 PM
Double Dittos on Open Office.

sharps4590
12-31-2021, 10:18 PM
50 years of data and results in notebooks. 5 moves in 44 years, half a dozen desk top and lap top computers, no smart phone and I've never had to uninstall, reinstall, access an app or chase down lost data and, it's literally at my fingertips at my benches. That and the chosen, preferred load is written on the ammo boxes. As far as "the range", my range is a 30 second walk from my basement shop door and is covered. I believe I'll stick with it for the time the good Lord allots me.

tazman
12-31-2021, 10:44 PM
As it happens, I am very good with computers. I used to build them a few years ago. Very useful machines.
I still don't trust them as I am well aware as to how many different ways things can go wrong.
I save my data in hard copy and in files on at least three different hard drives(two computers and an external drive) in various places around the house.
I type my data into a word processor and print the pages so I have printed data at hand when I need it.
My main computer is away from my loading room so I need to have things available in more than one place plus backups.
I don't trust cloud services. They are run and maintained by people I don't know who are in it for money. They would sell your data in a heartbeat if they believe they won't get caught at it. They would "lose" it if presented with enough incentive.
The cloud servers are just as susceptible to hacking as any other computer. It just takes enough effort and the right approach.

uscra112
12-31-2021, 11:17 PM
Read Karl Denninger's weblog to find out about cloud services. He has posted a number of excellent rants on the subject. Nobody does rants like Karl. Not even close.

I use a little freeware program called EaseUS Todo Backup combined with an external hard drive gadget to clone drives. Clones everything, even the boot sectors. Never have to reload anything if I have to swap in a spare drive. If I were to get hacked, or something went corrupt, swapping in a clean clone takes ten minutes. Only data stored since the last backup would be lost. And since I back the data directories up every week or so, that isn't much.

charlie b
12-31-2021, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the tip! A finer edge will help me to write legibly in a smaller font. 44 magnum took up almost the entire front of my left thigh.

Need to go to a tatoo shop and have them put your favorite loads on your arm :)

Geezer in NH
01-03-2022, 10:47 AM
Then the powder company will drop the powder tattooed on your arm Then it will be like and old girlfriends name that po's the wife.

dverna
01-03-2022, 12:05 PM
I have done this for over 50 years. Back then there was no electronic option.

I am a big spreadsheet guy. I few years ago I started using one for a while and realized it was just a time waster for me. I reverted back to 3x5 file cards in little box. Simple, takes up little space and more importantly...works.

I found no value looking at data from years ago. The past is in the past. I have no use for loads developed for calibers and/or guns I sent down the road. The load I had for my first .308 would now be 50 years old, and that gun is gone. I currently have three .308's and loads for two of them...one still TBD.

I no longer play around with different calibers, bullets and powders. Once I find something that works, I stay with it. For hunting calibers, I buy 500 bullets and that is a lifetime supply. .224 bullets I buy in lots of 3000-6000...get a good load and stick with it. I only shoot cast in pistols and carbines. I used to buy bullets in lots of 10-50k...same thing there...find a load and stick with it.

Powders are simple. Promo, HP-38, Unique, H4895 and Varget are all I need to load anything from 12 ga to 28 ga., CF rifles and pistols. If I get a deal on something, (like I got with Clean Shot) I will buy 30-50 lbs and develop a load. It isn't rocket surgery.

Due to physical issues, I got a Master Caster. I will have one or two molds for each caliber (9mm, .38/.357, .40). I currently have two loads for 9mm, two for .38/.357, one for .40 and one for .45 ACP (45's to be sold). Just not a ton of "data" to keep track of.

If I lost the little file box, my memory is still good enough to remember the loads I use. If my brain goes to mush, it would not take long to figure it out anyway.

If I was one of those folks that had 20+ calibers, 80+ molds, 50 different jacketed bullets, 30 powders, and was anal about getting the optimum load for each combination, I would use Excel. Data can be stored on a thumb drive or Cloud. When I was using the spreadsheet, I had a disk (yes it was that long ago) with my load data and gun information in the safety deposit box.

One size does not fit all.

Wag
01-03-2022, 12:10 PM
Don, my sentiments as well. I haven't ever gone back more than a couple of loads in my notebook to find one that worked before and I load that one again. If something works, why alter it?

--Wag--

Scrounge
01-03-2022, 01:40 PM
As it happens, I am very good with computers. I used to build them a few years ago. Very useful machines.
I still don't trust them as I am well aware as to how many different ways things can go wrong.
I save my data in hard copy and in files on at least three different hard drives(two computers and an external drive) in various places around the house.
I type my data into a word processor and print the pages so I have printed data at hand when I need it.
My main computer is away from my loading room so I need to have things available in more than one place plus backups.
I don't trust cloud services. They are run and maintained by people I don't know who are in it for money. They would sell your data in a heartbeat if they believe they won't get caught at it. They would "lose" it if presented with enough incentive.
The cloud servers are just as susceptible to hacking as any other computer. It just takes enough effort and the right approach.

I've been playing with computers since the late 70's. Built my first late in 1979. 256bytes of memory, and LED's for output. They're fun toys, but still not ready for prime time. I have backups of most stuff on the internal drive, the external backup drive, thumb drives, my phone & tablet on microSD drives, and as much as possible on paper. Got more than one ancient computer here, too. A couple of coolers full of floppy discs, too. Probably all unreadable, now. Lots of data lost because there was no way to transfer it. And I don't expect any of what I have to actually make it through any real disaster. Dang it!

Bill

guzma393
01-03-2022, 02:33 PM
dupe

guzma393
01-03-2022, 02:33 PM
I keep track of load data by writing down the load data on painters tape and attaching them on bags/ammo boxes that contain the reloads. After emptying the bag/box, I simply remove the tape and attach it in a notebook. I find myself in situations where I find it more convenient to just pull out the ammo box of the load I want to replicate, use a loaded round as a template, and just read off the data on the label. I even take the labels and attach them on magazines and guns

35 Rem
01-03-2022, 03:34 PM
I have all my load data on my computer, two external back up drives and a printed copy in a loose leaf notebook with each sheet in a thick plastic sleeve. Redundancy is good.

robg
01-03-2022, 03:43 PM
im old school ,i clip targets with load detail etc into the sierra load manual .if its got electrics its going to give you trouble.

Mal Paso
01-03-2022, 04:10 PM
I like spreadsheets and backup. I bought copies of Microsoft Office 2013 for $12 ea. The words and numbers are 9 years old now but still work like new.

missionary5155
01-03-2022, 05:00 PM
Another old school. 3 ring binder holds all finished load info on one sheet per firearm. If I ever sell a firearm it will go forth fro our heard with a copy of that sheet of paper(s). Can add a sheet easily with a new item.
Starts with the smallest (22 Hornet) and ends with info for a caliber .83 flintlock.
Only good loads get entered as who cares about the barn door results. A simple note like "Powder x is worthless" does get included.

Lloyd Smale
01-04-2022, 05:18 AM
not a computer type of guy. Only thing i do with it is visit forums on the internet, buy things and email on occasion. My loading records are written on paper. I dont carry a phone and never will so the cloud or whatever that is doesnt interest me a bit. Other then maybe effecting my chronograph.