PDA

View Full Version : Paint no dry

abunaitoo
12-29-2021, 05:08 PM
So I painted some repairs a couple of weeks ago.
One part was a garage door jam.
It still have not dried.
Door still get stuck.
I have been opening it everyday while I'm home.
I first painted it with the green termite treatment.
Let it dry for a few weeks.
Then two coats of primer.
Let it dry for a week.
Then two coats of paint.
Only a light coat in the jam.
All water based.
I always use water base and haven't had a problem before.
Any ideas?????

bangerjim
12-29-2021, 05:38 PM
Your "green" paint is probably a formulation of copper naphthenate which is a preservative and a pest control. Depending on the formulation, it may have wax in it also. Even drying for several weeks may not allow latex paint to stick or even totally cure. Many times, oil-based paints are used over "green" paint. I would recommend going to a paint specialty store, not just some big box store for professional recommendations and ideas.

Also, your dew point over there is probably sky high and will slow down drying times.

good luck.

Winger Ed.
12-29-2021, 06:11 PM
If the paint is old, it will often act all goofy.

RickinTN
12-29-2021, 06:13 PM
Or if the original paint was oil based and you put latex on top. I think I remember this is the combo which will never dry.
Rick

Adam20
12-29-2021, 07:22 PM
put some Armor all on it, no more sticking

abunaitoo
12-30-2021, 12:40 AM
It was a new beam, so no paint on it.
Got the paint mixed at Lowels.
Wouldn't the primer seal the green termite paint????
Paint sometimes takes long to dry here, but never this long.
I guess I'll just have to "watch the paint dry' everyday.

GregLaROCHE
12-30-2021, 05:06 AM
You can put oil based paint on top of well dried water based paint, but not water based paint on top of oil based paint. This was a problem when water based exterior house paints were introduced. Most older houses were already painted with oil base paints and people would paint over them with water based. At first it would look good, but later would crack and peel. Something you needed to be very careful of when buying a house, that had been recently repainted.

You might try to speed up the drying with a heat gun or hairdryer, but be very careful not to get it too hot. It may take low warming several times over several days.