PDA

View Full Version : .501/.500 cast boolits.

spallmaker
12-27-2021, 11:44 PM
Apologies...I can't figure out how to post in the WTB section.

Would anyone be interested in selling me some of their unsized cast lee 501-440rf
Slugs. I have a Star sizer and will purchase a .500 and .501 die so I can size and check. Also does anyone have .501 in plain base at 325-350gr they would part with?
If it would help I probably can get a shipping paid for and addressed to me USPS
Box mailed to you. I have a few different selections from Matts already but I would like to try some of the brand or custom mold bullets that I have been seeing as I have been reading through the forums.

Thanks....Steve

spallmaker
12-28-2021, 10:52 AM
Apologies...I can't figure out how to post in the WTB section.

Would anyone be interested in selling me some of their unsized cast lee 501-440rf
Slugs. I have a Star sizer and will purchase a .500 and .501 die so I can size and check. Also does anyone have .501 in plain base at 325-350gr they would part with?
If it would help I probably can get a shipping paid for and addressed to me USPS
Box mailed to you. I have a few different selections from Matts already but I would like to try some of the brand or custom mold bullets that I have been seeing as I have been reading through the forums.

Thanks....Steve

I just discovered I must have 30 posts under my belt to do so.

Read and learn

Rick B
01-02-2022, 09:03 PM
In regards to sizing .500 or .501 bullets in a Star Sizer there's several issues you have to consider before ordering a sizing die. Stars were designed to size soft short bullets originally. 45-200 SWC
and 38-148 WC. The molds used to cast bullets, generally dropped a bullet .001 over sizing diameter. Nowadays with oversized bullets and harder alloys. Sizing a medium hard .5 bullet .002 or .003 oversized will overtax a Star Sizer. It won't last long, before something breaks. A simple Lee push through will work better. I have a 500 mold that drops .504. Years ago I cast a big pile of real hard bullets. Tried running these through a RCBS Lube a Matic. Would not handle it. Ordered a Lee push thru Sizer Die. Set it up in the Rock Chucker, sprayed the bare bullets with Dillon Case Lube and they ran right through. I then ran the bullets into the Lube a Matic to apply the bullet lube. There is no way a Star would be capable of sizing these .504 hard bullets, you would break something on the first one. Don't get me wrong m, I love my Star Sizers. Still have two.
Rick

Mitch
01-02-2022, 10:45 PM
Go the swappin and sellin section look at the top of the page you will see the bullet exchange link. I have used this going both ways in the past good place.