PDA

View Full Version : Tesla model S big boom

samari46
12-27-2021, 01:44 AM
There is a video of a very dissatisfied owner of a Tesla model S in Finland who after 1500 kilometers had problems with it. The shop quoted him a $22,000 bill to replace the batteries. So he decided to blow it up. They strapped a dummy with Elton Musks face in the drivers seat. Attached 66 pounds of dynamite and the results was a spectacular explosion. Not much was left. Frank

StuBach
12-27-2021, 06:36 AM
For any wanting to watch the video here is an article talking about it with link to video, pretty spectacular.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/26/22853573/tesla-model-s-explosion-repair-bill

TyGuy
12-27-2021, 07:14 AM
The Model S has an 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the battery and drive system. This sounds like a stunt to me.

Lloyd Smale
12-27-2021, 07:25 AM
The Model S has an 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the battery and drive system. This sounds like a stunt to me.

might not apply overseas and that warantee is probably full of loop holes to get out of fixing them.

JSnover
12-27-2021, 07:50 AM
Think of all the rare earth metals scattered about. I assume they removed the batteries.
Probably. I think there'd be a mighty stiff penalty if they didn't.

smithnframe
12-27-2021, 08:01 AM
Elon Musk stands behind his vehicles………….sounds like a stunt to me!

NSB
12-27-2021, 08:50 AM
There’s nothing odd about this story. The batteries in these cars have a limited life span, usually about eight years. At the end of the battery life span it simply costs around $22,000 to replace the batteries. All Li battery packs on vehicles are like that. They are only now starting to recycle the batteries in a few places around the world. Here in the U.S. we have places that are recycling them. One of those places in near me in WNY. Anyone who buys an all electric car should do a little research before buying. The better option would be to lease the vehicle.

zarrinvz24
12-27-2021, 08:57 AM
I could be wrong, but I recall reading that the recovery rate in recycling LI batteries is very low. Something like below 60%. This “green” technology isn’t sustainable.

Ithaca Gunner
12-27-2021, 09:16 AM
The thing was a 2013, and out of warranty. I'll say I think it stupid for it to cost $22,600.00 to replace the batteries in it! And they cost, $59,900.00 new? Yeah, lets all drive electric cars and save the planet, that's the way to go! Nope, LETS GO BRANDON!

MrWolf
12-27-2021, 09:16 AM
There’s nothing odd about this story. The batteries in these cars have a limited life span, usually about eight years. At the end of the battery life span it simply costs around $22,000 to replace the batteries. All Li battery packs on vehicles are like that. They are only now starting to recycle the batteries in a few places around the world. Here in the U.S. we have places that are recycling them. One of those places in near me in WNY. Anyone who buys an all electric car should do a little research before buying. The better option would be to lease the vehicle.

My understanding was the battery lives were 10-20 years. My son is driving the Prius I bought new in 2006 so that is 15 years. I really haven't heard the expected horror stories that worried me when I bought it back then.

Baltimoreed
12-27-2021, 09:20 AM
Battery technology has not caught up to our computer technology, until it does and fast charging high capacity totally recyclable batteries exist E-vehicles will be an expensive polluting novelty.

missionary5155
12-27-2021, 09:21 AM
Very few problems exist that cannot be solved rapidly with the proper application of explosives. Even the M73 105mm main gun on a lowly M60A1 tank could generate good results.

trebor44
12-27-2021, 09:21 AM
Dynamite in Finland.....?

NSB
12-27-2021, 09:59 AM
My understanding was the battery lives were 10-20 years. My son is driving the Prius I bought new in 2006 so that is 15 years. I really haven't heard the expected horror stories that worried me when I bought it back then.
Your son’s Prius is a hybrid gas/electric. It’s a completely different system than an all electric vehicle using Li batteries. I don’t think fossil fuel is sustainable forever. I don’t believe just jumping into all electric cars is the answer. We don’t have the raw material in this country to support Li batteries for the masses. I retired from GM as an engineer and I’m disappointed to see that GM is heading towards all electric vehicles as their long term business plan. People should be aware that just charging these things takes a while, about 1% per hour on a home circuit. You can buy super chargers for about a grand and that speeds them up somewhat. What happens when the whole town plugs in their all electric cars? Our grid can’t even support air conditioning in the summer in a lot of places. Where does all that electricity come from? Fossil fuels. That all alleged 300 mile range….what happens when you turn the heater or AC on? It goes to half. I could be wrong, but no one’s convinced me other wise. I just don’t see everyone, or even the majority, driving all electric cars.

Plate plinker
12-27-2021, 10:25 AM
Dynamite in Finland.....?

Yes they do have explosives there and it seems access to the stuff is not all that difficult. I have watched a channel on u tube that uses it. They hire it out but it is not unobtainable.

TyGuy
12-27-2021, 10:48 AM
The thing was a 2013, and out of warranty. I'll say I think it stupid for it to cost $22,600.00 to replace the batteries in it! And they cost, $59,900.00 new? Yeah, lets all drive electric cars and save the planet, that's the way to go! Nope, LETS GO BRANDON!

I withdraw my original warranty statement. I did not watch the video but read the low mileage (kiloage? Haha) and made an assumption. Yes, people buying them used need to do their homework. I would love to have a Model S. I do a ton of driving and would put 600k on the car in those 8 years. That said, I would NEVER buy one used. At $90k I’ll likely never buy one new either.

Three44s
12-27-2021, 11:12 AM
They should have installed an AC cord and just used it for “short trips”!

Three44s

dverna
12-27-2021, 11:28 AM
Your son’s Prius is a hybrid gas/electric. It’s a completely different system than an all electric vehicle using Li batteries. I don’t think fossil fuel is sustainable forever. I don’t believe just jumping into all electric cars is the answer. We don’t have the raw material in this country to support Li batteries for the masses. I retired from GM as an engineer and I’m disappointed to see that GM is heading towards all electric vehicles as their long term business plan. People should be aware that just charging these things takes a while, about 1% per hour on a home circuit. You can buy super chargers for about a grand and that speeds them up somewhat. What happens when the whole town plugs in their all electric cars? Our grid can’t even support air conditioning in the summer in a lot of places. Where does all that electricity come from? Fossil fuels. That all alleged 300 mile range….what happens when you turn the heater or AC on? It goes to half. I could be wrong, but no one’s convinced me other wise. I just don’t see everyone, or even the majority, driving all electric cars.

Exactly.

The technology is not "there" yet. GM is going to need another bailout if they keep down this road, unless they have something in their skunk works they are keeping secret.

Even when the technology is "there" for 70% of what ICE vehicles do, the rest of us are a long way from an EV. Almost everyone in me neck of woods drives a pickup truck and not many are the dressed up urban cowboy trucks. Ever see county workers and their trucks idling for hours to stay warm?

salpal48
12-27-2021, 11:30 AM
sounds like a BS story to me

Ithaca Gunner
12-27-2021, 01:40 PM
I withdraw my original warranty statement. I did not watch the video but read the low mileage (kiloage? Haha) and made an assumption. Yes, people buying them used need to do their homework. I would love to have a Model S. I do a ton of driving and would put 600k on the car in those 8 years. That said, I would NEVER buy one used. At $90k I’ll likely never buy one new either.

I'm not sure about the 1,500km statement, if he was having codes and problems at that kmage, they should have taken care of it then. No lemon law I there suppose, still I would think if he hounded em enough they may have replaced the batteries at cost to keep a customer since he had problems early on.

Oh well, I guess he made the statement he meant to make and had fun doing it.

Total electric cars is something not ready for consumers at this time, electric golf carts, yes. Electric cars, no. The hybrids are doing fine, the loonies simply want something to campaign for and feel all warm and fuzzy about it while they drive around in diesel Benz's. I worked for Toyota at a dealership when the Prius came out, they're good cars. One thing seldom addressed though is that of catastrophic collision and the impact on first responders as well as those in them. Bear in mind I only had experience with the Prius, these Teslas and others may be different, a month after the Prius hit the market we held classes for fire and police on dealing with a collision involving a Prius and how to approach them, and what safety gear was needed to deal with them so no-one got killed or injured due to electric shock. I don't know if that's still a concern dealing with a hybrid or electric car or weather it's something that's been addressed by the manufacturers when emergency crews respond to a collision involving one. When the Prius hit the market, all local responders were given classes, purchased gloves, and a tool to kill the flow of electricity from the batteries. It was probably over-kill, however it was new and the cops and fire fighters wanted the training and safety gear. Either it's not an issue, or everyone is certified in dealing with them and takes precautions needed when they get called to a wreck. I don't hear much about it these days.

Polymath
12-27-2021, 01:57 PM
I sure hope they picked up their garbage, but judging from their intelligence level, they wouldn't. Bits of plastic and fiberglass everywhere.
I guess Hillbillys come in all colors. Even with the batteries gone there is still some of salvageable metal.

trebor44
12-27-2021, 02:42 PM
sounds like a BS story to me

Looking at several videos, it was NOT a one man show. Quite the production and one has to wonder the cost of producing it? Having used more than a few pounds of dynamite, kinasticks etc over the years this was not cheap! But it was quite the show!

David2011
12-27-2021, 02:44 PM
Out of curiosity I read up on automotive lithium battery recycling recently. There are two methods currently used. One is to incinerate the batteries in order to recover the metals other than lithium. The other is to dissolve the batteries in an acid and precipitate the metals out of the solution. Neither is environmentally friendly; quite the opposite.

NSB
12-27-2021, 03:21 PM
Out of curiosity I read up on automotive lithium battery recycling recently. There are two methods currently used. One is to incinerate the batteries in order to recover the metals other than lithium. The other is to dissolve the batteries in an acid and precipitate the metals out of the solution. Neither is environmentally friendly; quite the opposite.
Better do some more research on this subject. A company called Li-cycle with plants around the world and one here in WNY, is shredding these batteries and sorting out the material without the use of any chemicals and there is no environmental impact in their process. Here in NYS, you have to monitor air, water, sanitary sewers, and storm sewers for any chemical discharge. This company meets or exceeds all requirements for both state and federal emissions. As far as I know, they are the only company using this proprietary process and it’s quite cost effective. The biggest problem with batteries is getting them back into the recycling process after use. Most people simply drop them in the garbage when they’re done with them. Still, the company here in NYS is processing a huge amount of batteries and recycling the material in a cost effective manner and an environmentally effective manner. The problem isn’t going to be in recycling material, it’s going to be getting the material since most of it comes from overseas.
https://li-cycle.com/news/li-cycle-announces-commercial-lithium-ion-battery-recycling-plant-now-operational-in-rochester-new-york/

FLINTNFIRE
12-27-2021, 04:12 PM
I watched the video and came away with the spoiled rich snot nose bought the car just to make the video and to have his day of fame and claim to glory , and yes what a mess that there is no way to clean up all the pieces as they only picked up the large ones .

I did not think of hillbillys I thought they just looked like the product of to much inbreeding and the need to pose for the cameras .

Huskerguy
12-27-2021, 07:59 PM
As we were driving east on a packed I-70 between thr Colorado border and Central Kansas we wondered what it would be like if there were all electric vehicles. With ranges of less than 300 miles, it would be a mess.

Today I spoke with my brother who manages an electrical cooperative in Nebraska. He was telling me a person in a small town wanted to put in a charging station and was shocked when she was told it would cost 50-60,000 dollars and she would have to pay for it. He said supplying the power isn't the problem but the demand is the big issue and then how to change for it.

Frosty Boolit
12-27-2021, 08:47 PM
That Greta Thunberg girl would be verrry disappointed.

Her dummy should have been in the passenger seat 🤣

xs11jack
12-27-2021, 10:06 PM
I think all you guys have covered most of the Good, The Bad and the Ugly of this topic. When you boil it down the second owner of these cars will be dunned for the battery replacement. The raw material is going to be choaking point because we don't have enough of them to keep the cars and trucks running and that brings up a nightmare with the trucks with giant sized batteries to deal with. And think about one of these trucks gets centerpunched by a train! I don't know which is worse, people that are ignorant of the downside of batteries or the people that skim over the problem and just want to get your money. I have been asking about who gets the bill for a long time and no one is listening.
Ole Jack

Lloyd Smale
12-28-2021, 05:50 AM
As we were driving east on a packed I-70 between thr Colorado border and Central Kansas we wondered what it would be like if there were all electric vehicles. With ranges of less than 300 miles, it would be a mess.

Today I spoke with my brother who manages an electrical cooperative in Nebraska. He was telling me a person in a small town wanted to put in a charging station and was shocked when she was told it would cost 50-60,000 dollars and she would have to pay for it. He said supplying the power isn't the problem but the demand is the big issue and then how to change for it.

yup a smart man would look ahead and buy a big truck with a huge battery that can charge cars dead on the road side because there will be a slew of them because there pumping out many cars with few places to charge. I can even see motels popping up on desolate roads for people who cant make the next town without a recharge or dont have 10 hours to wait in line to spend 3 more charging there car.

Petander
12-28-2021, 05:52 AM
It was a used car.

The owner just had bad luck with the old battery. Boom!

MrWolf
12-28-2021, 09:10 AM

After thinking about it you are right. Big difference in demand on the battery so not a fair comparison. For the record, I do not think we are anywhere near along for a viable EV. There was a scientist who developed a battery based off of a virus if I remember correctly. Saw a show where he blew up a motorcycle using that battery. That had to be 20 years ago. Wonder if that was a case of being bought out and put on the shelf.

Thumbcocker
12-28-2021, 10:29 AM
I would like to see at least someone looking into a standardized battery pack that could be swapped out in about the same time it takes to fill a tank. As far as electric vehicles, I can see their use in urban areas for short haul commuters. I don't see the infrastructure in place for rural areas for decades if ever.

Ithaca Gunner
12-28-2021, 02:47 PM
The best idea I saw was from a Dutch bus company, (if any of you saw the video or read the article and remember it better than I do, please chime in). They had a small diesel engine in the bus running at a constant 1,700 rpm. All four wheels had electric motors on them set up inside out, (?) so they would run the wheels and somehow generate power at the same time returning it to the battery and charging it along with the diesel engine. It said our military was interested in the idea for non-tactical trucks, (light pick-ups etc.) and that Dodge was in on the idea. This was probably around 2004 and I haven't read anything else on it.

Here's what Allison is working on, very much alike, but Allison has the electric motors in the transmission and inverters to go DC to AC or reverse. https://youtu.be/ogav_JUf0jQ

Froogal
12-28-2021, 05:07 PM
The best idea I saw was from a Dutch bus company, (if any of you saw the video or read the article and remember it better than I do, please chime in). They had a small diesel engine in the bus running at a constant 1,700 rpm. All four wheels had electric motors on them set up inside out, (?) so they would run the wheels and somehow generate power at the same time returning it to the battery and charging it along with the diesel engine. It said our military was interested in the idea for non-tactical trucks, (light pick-ups etc.) and that Dodge was in on the idea. This was probably around 2004 and I haven't read anything else on it.

Here's what Allison is working on, very much alike, but Allison has the electric motors in the transmission and inverters to go DC to AC or reverse. https://youtu.be/ogav_JUf0jQ

Kind of like a diesel-electric locomotive?

Finster101
12-28-2021, 05:15 PM

All of the EVs I know of have regenerative braking. While it sounds all warm and fuzzy it is really not all that efficient in charging the battery.

Handloader109
12-28-2021, 06:49 PM
Yep, used car, he got 1500km out of it till the battery SYSTEM failed. Key takeaway from this.... There is NO secondary market for an EV. The car is Junk at the end of the warranty. It might be a $30,000 vehicle new, but is worth NOTHING in 8 years.
Oh, and it ain't 8 years bumper to bumper, you san still loose 30% of the battery capacity and still no replacement, and it is 120,000 or 150,000 not unlimited miles..... And outside of the drivetrain and battery, it is 2 to 4 years. Elon isnt warranting anything unlimited..
Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

NSB
12-28-2021, 08:01 PM
Yep, used car, he got 1500km out of it till the battery SYSTEM failed. Key takeaway from this.... There is NO secondary market for an EV. The car is Junk at the end of the warranty. It might be a $30,000 vehicle new, but is worth NOTHING in 8 years.
Oh, and it ain't 8 years bumper to bumper, you san still loose 30% of the battery capacity and still no replacement, and it is 120,000 or 150,000 not unlimited miles..... And outside of the drivetrain and battery, it is 2 to 4 years. Elon isnt warranting anything unlimited..
Pretty much nailed it. I believe this entire all electric vehicle thing is going to hit a brick wall in the not too distant future. Millions of dollars being pumped into the concept but the reality will set in pretty quickly. Inner city commuters (read people who don’t drive much at all) and the fringe “save everything” bunch are pushing this. The average rural and/or suburban drive won’t find much joy owning one. Road trip anyone?

samari46
12-29-2021, 01:34 AM
I was reading about the electric cars and seems it's going to impact the electric utilities hard. California is talking about doing away with gasoline vehicles.And going all electric. Heck in the summer they have rolling blackouts now so will further burden their electrical system. Costs about 5k to have a charging system installed in your home. Batteries that have a finite life span and cost 22to 25k to replace. I'll keep driving my 2007 GMC Sierra till the wheels fall off.

Still all in all that 60 pounds of dynamite did do a number on that Tesla. You have to admit it. Frank

Newboy
12-29-2021, 07:49 AM
I was reading about the electric cars and seems it's going to impact the electric utilities hard. California is talking about doing away with gasoline vehicles.And going all electric. Heck in the summer they have rolling blackouts now so will further burden their electrical system. Costs about 5k to have a charging system installed in your home. Batteries that have a finite life span and cost 22to 25k to replace. I'll keep driving my 2007 GMC Sierra till the wheels fall off.

Still all in all that 60 pounds of dynamite did do a number on that Tesla. You have to admit it. Frank

You will only keep driving your old car as long as the government allows it.

They will tax the emissions or raise the registration to where you cannot afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NSB
12-29-2021, 09:53 AM

They will tax the emissions or raise the registration to where you cannot afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
When the auto industry starts to crash they’ll relent. Whoever is left selling both gas vehicles will see their sales going up fast. I think the auto industry is getting this all wrong, trying to figure out what will sell.

anothernewb
12-29-2021, 10:20 AM
The money he's made from the views on that video, probably paid for a new tesla.

anothernewb
12-29-2021, 10:23 AM

probably accurate. living in MN I've been watching the constant surges my entire adult life by one political party - wanting to use NY and CA restrictions and taxes as their STARTING point for limiting what we can have here.

wrench
12-29-2021, 10:53 AM
I've worked in the auto industry for over 30 years. I'm old fashioned, and like another poster said, I'll drive my gas vehicle until the doors fall off, or external factors kill it off.
That said, this video makes me laugh every time...maybe some have seen it.
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/new-mercedes/3021121

Bulldogger
12-29-2021, 11:07 AM
I've worked in the auto industry for over 30 years. I'm old fashioned, and like another poster said, I'll drive my gas vehicle until the doors fall off, or external factors kill it off.
That said, this video makes me laugh every time...maybe some have seen it.
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/new-mercedes/3021121

Hilarious!

rondog
12-29-2021, 11:17 AM
Ooo, just had an idea for a retirement job! Gonna get me a big ol' stinkin' diesel truck with a BIG ol' stinkin' diesel generator on the back, and cruise the highways as a Mobile Charging Station! For a fee, of course.....

TyGuy
12-29-2021, 11:18 AM

You are correct, as of February 2020 they ended the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty. The car now has zero appeal to me.

Handloader109
12-29-2021, 07:21 PM
Yeah, say you have a 300 mile optimal range. after 2 years you are down 10%, now only 270. At 4 year mark you are down another 5%, so 250, at 6 years, 20% so 240, and at end of 8 years, just 29% loss. so you are down to 205 mile range at best case. WORTHLESS
Look, I bought an almost new 2016 car last year that had 25,000 miles on it for 80% of new price. It is worth more at 40000 miles right now than then.

Finster101
12-30-2021, 12:07 PM
The video just looks like a lot of grandstanding to me. Almost like it was the intent to begin with.

BD
01-03-2022, 08:01 PM
Dynamite was a Swedish invention, inventor was Alfred Nobel, (think "Nobel Prize"), The blast was definitely a stunt. It looked to me like ampho, (blasting compound) on the car, and they appeared to use electric caps to sequentially start det cord to set it off. Either one of those systems would have done it, but we wouldn't have had the pre blast light show. If you think in firearms terms, Ampho = H870 and Dynamite = black powder. As far as I know blasting compound is available anywhere in the world, although regulations do vary.

Scrounge
01-03-2022, 08:49 PM
There is a video of a very dissatisfied owner of a Tesla model S in Finland who after 1500 kilometers had problems with it. The shop quoted him a $22,000 bill to replace the batteries. So he decided to blow it up. They strapped a dummy with Elton Musks face in the drivers seat. Attached 66 pounds of dynamite and the results was a spectacular explosion. Not much was left. Frank

Dude may be unhappy about his decision, now. There was a recall on the Model S that might have gotten Tesla to fix it for him. Oh well.

john.k
01-03-2022, 09:46 PM
if you watch the lekky car videos ,such as Rich s Rebuilds......you get a much better idea of Ev costs in general......The EV fanboys admit EV is nowhere near cost effective unless you ra a Uber /taxi driver,or a real estate agent.....the big attraction for the high daily mileage operator. is/was free charging on Tesla s rapid charge network......and as even the fanboys point out ,an 8 year old Tesla is worth $22,000 with a new battery fitted costing $22,000.......so you might as well blow it up..........add to this state governments making moves to add a cost burden to EVs to equate to lost gasoline taxes.

dkf
01-03-2022, 10:35 PM
A lot of people think EVs are pretty much maintenance free. They basically have every system a regular IC engine has just sans IC engine. So they are not. The manufacturers have long or no intervals of service on items like differential fluids so they are often surprised with a failure due to it.

I do wonder though if there is issue disposing of the vehicle, mainly the batteries. If you would have to pay to scrap the old battery or if someone takes them for nothing.

Finster101
01-04-2022, 09:34 AM
"I do wonder though if there is issue disposing of the vehicle, mainly the batteries. If you would have to pay to scrap the old battery or if someone takes them for nothing."

I would imagine there is a hefty core charge on them so they would definitely be returned.

KCSO
01-04-2022, 11:44 AM
After market battery pack 6,000 dollars. But probably not in Finland. I ran into the same deal with an electric M/C batteries guarenteed for 1 year ran 9 months and they would not honor the warranty, batteries cost 3/4 the price of the bike.

john.k
01-06-2022, 10:46 PM
I doubt there is enough scrap value in a Tesla battery to warrant recycling it......The lithium content has some value,but as lithium is a very light metal,the whole battery contains maybe a few pound......and from waybck ,the first days of Li batteries the maximum allowable cell size is equivalent to a D size torch cell.....Probably the most valuable recyclable is the copper content....the cell casings would be the bulk of metal ,but as shredded steel not valuable.

john.k
01-06-2022, 10:53 PM
Incidentally,in the EU the buyers price of a new car includes a disposal fee for dismantling the car and segregating all usable components and materials.......the fee is quite substantial ,like around $7000....I suspect if the car is shipped out of the EU ,to say Africa,then the fee is all straight profit to the maker.