PDA

View Full Version : Old Vaquero or 3 screw Blackhawk

Sprue
01-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Old Vaquero 45 colt Stainless in 95% +
Blackhawk 3 Screw Nickle .357 ivory type grips 95% +

I found these two today and need your thoughts and opinions to help me decide on which one. I've kinda taking a liking to these models ever since I got my 1894 .357

They both are very clean and seem to function fine.

The reason I like the Vaq is that I don't have that caliber plus I like what I read about the various loads that can be utilized. Its my understanding that these old rugers can withstand just about any higher pressure load, providing one would want to shoot 'em. It has the tranfer bar mod too.

The Blackhawk 3 screw .357 is very nice. I'm not sure if its factory nickle but its practically flawless. Only marks in the steel is around the front site base area which is just machine markings.
There are absolutley no other flaws. The cut line is minimal. The only thing that concerns me on this one is, there's a pin or steel button extending from the front grip frame and touches the rear or hind side of the trigger. That pin looks a little off center to me, indicationg that it could pop out during strong recoil. So I'm not clear whats going on there. Any idea?

The 3 screw is modestly priced (I think) and costs about $ 50 more than the Vaq.

*** now I realize that I could feed the 3 screw with an almost endless amount of ammo, just as the lever action but I still kind lean towards the 45 LC.

What say you ........ which would you pick and why?

Tks

Westwindmike
01-16-2009, 10:39 PM
I really like the old Vaqueros. They are a strong gun and will take a lot of abuse. It seems the 3 screws are more like collectors now. I have 2 Vaqueros and used to use them in Cowboy shoots. Either one will serve you well though.
Good luck with them.

S.R.Custom
01-16-2009, 10:59 PM
...The only thing that concerns me on this one is, there's a pin or steel button extending from the front grip frame and touches the rear or hind side of the trigger. That pin looks a little off center to me, indicationg that it could pop out during strong recoil. So I'm not clear whats going on there. Any idea?

That's the old style trigger return set-up for the 3-screw guns. Just one of the things Ruger improved on those guns, making the "New Model" Blackhawks much better than their predecessors. (Personally, I don't care for the 3-screw guns.)

No, nickel was not a factory finish, making it a refinished gun. But the idea of a nickel plated Blackhawk is a good one-- it has the lightweight features of the aluminum frame, yet is finished such that the whole gun is done in a matching finish. (I despise the cheesey black anodizing of the factory aluminum parts.)

That said, you have a tough choice. Which means, whichever one you decide on will be sold by the time you get back to the store... :razz:

Heavy lead
01-16-2009, 11:00 PM
3 screw, I don't believe a nickel finish was ever offered, nor stainless, just blued, so the nickel must be custom. I'd buy the three screw myself, I prefer the 45 Colt as my favorite, but if the OMBH is in good shape, in reality the frame may be worth more than the Vaquero.

missionary5155
01-17-2009, 05:57 AM
Good morning
Buy them BOTH !
Try them out for real at the range for the next 10 yeras and SELL the one you do not like...

HeavyMetal
01-17-2009, 11:33 AM
How old is the 3 screw?

If it's an early "small frame" you can convert from 357 to 44 special. This makes a great gun. I don't know the exact date but do know that Ruger went to the same size frame on all there single actions some time in the late 60's or so.

If it's the later gun there will be no size difference in frames so buy the Vaqaro.

Sprue
01-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Not sure of the age, I didn't take note of the S/N.

Anyway, whats up with the Trigger Reset button/pin that I mentioned.

It being cock eyed and looks as though it could come out ? Its a real turn off to me. Otherwise, its real eye candy in new like cond. The nickle plating is glass-like and flawless.

If one comes home It'll most likely be the Vaq.

Tks

44man
01-17-2009, 12:28 PM
It has been a long time since I had a three screw but if I remember, the trigger return plunger was a little off center. It will not come out so don't worry.

Catshooter
01-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Not sure of the age, I didn't take note of the S/N.

Anyway, whats up with the Trigger Reset button/pin that I mentioned.

It being cock eyed and looks as though it could come out ? Its a real turn off to me. Otherwise, its real eye candy in new like cond. The nickle plating is glass-like and flawless.

If one comes home It'll most likely be the Vaq.

Tks

Post #3 answered your question.

Cat

Sprue
01-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Post #3 answered your question.

Cat

Don't see #3 post addressing the cock-eyed question, but post #4 does if you read it.

targetshootr
01-17-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm not big on shiny metal, it makes sights hard to see in the sun. I'd decide on a caliber and barrel length first, then go find what I want.

:Fire: