PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli "Tryon" sight question

badgeredd
01-16-2009, 07:41 PM
I am hoping maybe someone has a good idea for me.

In my younger days, I could shoot my Tryon .50 caliber front stuffer with meaniful accuracy. Now the old eyes just won't get the sights in clearly. I haven't shot it for 5 years because I can't see the dang sights for didly.

I don't want to scope it (no how, no way.) To me it just doesn't go with the rifle. So what I need from you gentlemen, is an idea (not to expensive) for a tube sight or peep sight that would be in character with the gun. Maybe some other sight that is somewhat traditional, and fits the character of the firearm, and useable for an old guy.

I put the kit together at least 25 years ago and I have always loved the gun. It has accounted for a good many deer over the years (a few tree rats too :twisted:), and I really hate it that I can't shoot it accurately anymore. IDEAS?????????? Has anyone made their own tube sight?

Help please. :(

Edd

oldhickory
01-17-2009, 10:20 AM
I know they're kinda pricey, but Dixie Gun Works probably has exactly what you're looking for in their catalog, or can at least give you some ideas in the right direction.

Maven
01-17-2009, 10:48 AM
There are also adjustable iris/aperture sights that you attach to a pair of glasses if you'd prefer not to alter the rifle. I think Lyman now offers one as does Merit (Merit Optical Disk). Midway USA, Brownells, Champion Shooters' Supply carry them. However, the cheapest solution is to make a tiny hole in a piece of electrician's tape and center it on your eyeglass lens: If it works, consider the more durable Lyman or Merit options.

Boz330
01-17-2009, 03:42 PM
There are some reasonably priced verniers out there that would be somewhat period correct. I did this with a 2 band Enfield so I could hunt with it.

Bob

badgeredd
01-17-2009, 08:21 PM
There are some reasonably priced verniers out there that would be somewhat period correct. I did this with a 2 band Enfield so I could hunt with it.

Bob

Thanks guys,

Bob, your thought on the vernier sight shook the cob webs loose in the cranium. I went to the Pedersoli site and don't you know they show a Tryon with vernier tang sight. Then thanks to "oldhickory" I went to the Dixie site and they have a sight that I think will work for $62.50 plus shipping. It isn't anything fancy but it'll get me shooting the muzzle loader again. Thanks for the brain jog.

They also have a period type scope that would be the cat's pjs but I can't see the cost of it.

Thanks again guys.

Edd

northmn
01-18-2009, 11:47 AM
A couple of tricks with older eyes and open sights that help. One is to widen and open up the rear sight so that you can see things better. Many times the sights were made very "fine". Get a larger front sight and file a bead on top so you can see it. I switche done rifle to a Track of the Wolf sight at .08 or .07 (called a thick blade) Move the rear sight up the barrel a little. Another trick that worked for a lot of people that I ahd seen was to cut a narroe slit in the bottom of the V or U of the rear sight quite deep which lets more light in and acts like a reference. Peep sigths aren't all bad but a Vernier works best as kind of a long range sight.

Northmn

Boz330
01-18-2009, 12:32 PM
A couple of tricks with older eyes and open sights that help. One is to widen and open up the rear sight so that you can see things better. Many times the sights were made very "fine". Get a larger front sight and file a bead on top so you can see it. I switche done rifle to a Track of the Wolf sight at .08 or .07 (called a thick blade) Move the rear sight up the barrel a little. Another trick that worked for a lot of people that I ahd seen was to cut a narroe slit in the bottom of the V or U of the rear sight quite deep which lets more light in and acts like a reference. Peep sigths aren't all bad but a Vernier works best as kind of a long range sight.

Northmn

I find that a deep notch works very well for me even on a hand gun. Track of the Wolf also has some Verniers very reasonable. Check out the link.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(b3kmxb3ede30tgi1ejt1dzqo))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=167&styleId=770&partNum=RS-CREED-3-E

Bob

badgeredd
01-18-2009, 02:34 PM
I find that a deep notch works very well for me even on a hand gun. Track of the Wolf also has some Verniers very reasonable. Check out the link.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(b3kmxb3ede30tgi1ejt1dzqo))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=167&styleId=770&partNum=RS-CREED-3-E

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I think that will work just fine. I appreciate the help.

Edd

Boz330
01-18-2009, 03:59 PM
My pleasure sir, good luck. After all us old codgers have to stick together.

Bob

docone31
06-29-2014, 08:01 PM
It was common to move the rear sight forward at this point.Just file a new dovetail where the eyes focus.Also, get a thicker front sight.

johnson1942
06-29-2014, 10:53 PM
i have ghost ring sights ive either made or bought for all my muzzleloaders. the latest muzzleloader ive build has a marlin aftermarket ghost ring on it. others have a washer slivered soldered on to a traditional back sight. the front sight is a calf. blade i get from track of the wolf. i just file it to the right highth for the distance i want. one has a smith enterptise 1400 tip up buckhorn sight i modified with a small washer silver soldered over the buckhorn in the back. the front sight is again a calif. blade but it is made higher with some riser blocks i got from midway. my eyes are pretty good but now im in my 70/s and the ghost rings got me back shooting real good. its nothing more than a large peep hole. focusing your vision through the large peep ghost ring makes the front sight clearer also. hope i helped you as we all are going to have the same problem sooner or later.

bubba.50
06-29-2014, 11:44 PM
it's not adjustable but, the Johnson peep sight from Muzzleloader Builders Supply is a good-lookin' sight that would look at home on any vintage rifle. it's available in brass, iron, & german silver.

dondiego
06-30-2014, 09:17 AM
it's not adjustable but, the Johnson peep sight from Muzzleloader Builders Supply is a good-lookin' sight that would look at home on any vintage rifle. it's available in brass, iron, & german silver.

You forgot "have a good un"

bubba.50
06-30-2014, 01:43 PM
my bad[smilie=l:. luck & have a good'en friends & neighbors, bubba.

oldracer
07-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Here is how I added a vernier rear sight on the Tryon I had but sold a few months ago. Note the front edge of the mount touches the cast in place threaded place where the stock sight goes so they can be switched. I forgot the maker of the sight but it was a short range version and had a Hadley eye cup. I also added a Lyman globe in front so I could get a wide selection of inserts. If you do add a vernier or ladder rear sight, make sure to use levels to insure that it is mounted vertical, mine was off and I had to shim it.