PDA

View Full Version : Free internet radio questions?

hc18flyer
12-23-2021, 03:00 PM
I am ready to pull the trigger on an internet radio. Is free programming as good as it sounds? Can anyone share their experiences? I tried a shortwave, but reception was fair at best, even with a longwire external antenna.
Thanks in advance for your replies, hc18flyer

Handloader109
12-23-2021, 03:43 PM
Not sure what you are listening to, or want to receive. I stream a lot of music and podcasts through both my phone, computer and through a grace digital radio. I've got a roughly 3 year old grace, It still updates every now and then. I stream two or three stations, and can search and get local and other stations also. Iheartradio which has Dave Ramsey and gun talk radio now works well. Radio will connect to a couple of my old hard drives through usb and will play my mp3s I have saved. It works well, I think the new models work a bit better.

I've still got 2 squeezebox radios that are almost 10 years old. they are having issues connecting to internet now that I upgraded my pc. I use one as just a speaker. no support for them for about 5 years or so.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

hoodat
12-23-2021, 03:59 PM
I listen to quite a bit of radio with a few different devices. Phone and computer work well with specific app for such as Dennis Prager, and Jesus Christ Show, and whatever else I want to grab for the desk-top or home page. I'm far from tech-savvy, and feel pretty proud that I gitterdun.

Also, I often use the caveman radios for certain stuff that is receivable in my area. (which is considerable) My favorite radio is the little C Crane pocket model which has digital tuning, AM FM, and Weather Bands. Stereo ear buds, and so simple even a caveman can run it. jd

beezapilot
12-23-2021, 04:52 PM
I'm usually pretty far behind the times so may not hit the paper on this one, I have a free Pandora account that runs on wifi in my shop computer to a good old stereo that runs 8 pair of pretty kick butt speakers. It plays for 12-14 hours a day. I've country stations that range from Buck Owens to Son Volt. Rock and Roll from Spirit, Mountain, Quicksilver Messenger Service to New Wave. Blues, Jazz... Dead can Dance.. Classical... on and on and on. Sound quality varies with the track, but it's all in the back ground anyway. Ads come and go..

hoodat
12-23-2021, 05:13 PM
Geeze Beeze, I've hardly ever known anyone else who even knew who Quicksilver Messenger Service was. We oughta compare albums sometime.:-P jd

waksupi
12-23-2021, 05:16 PM
Your key word is "free". Lots of choices out there.

Finster101
12-23-2021, 05:22 PM
No need to buy anything.

Froogal
12-23-2021, 05:28 PM
Why buy anything? My favorite radio station is already broadcasting through the internet. I can listen on my cell phone also.

Handloader109
12-23-2021, 06:10 PM
You buy a radio to have a dedicated radio that plays all the time. I can't use cell phone all the time as I'm talking on it a lot to customers, I can't receive over the air in my basement and hardly in my shop. My main work computer will not run all the programs I usually have open and running and stream music decently. buffers too much. Dedicated unit works way better....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Bmi48219
12-23-2021, 07:20 PM
Geeze Beeze, I've hardly ever known anyone else who even knew who Quicksilver Messenger Service jd

If you listened to FM in the late sixties you’ve had to heard ‘Pride of Man’. Saw them headlining for Frost in late 68.

NyFirefighter357
12-23-2021, 08:05 PM
If you go to a radio stations website you can listen through the internet for free.

Gofaaast
12-23-2021, 11:06 PM
I have the free TuneIn app on my phone. Darn near every station in the country is on it. Just search the station you desire and I bet you find it.

GregLaROCHE
12-24-2021, 12:22 AM
I’m interested mainly in listening to music when l’m working in my shop. I started using YouTube videos until my son told me about Spotify. The free version worked well until they increased the amount of commercials. I’ve started using Amazon Prime music which is free without commercials, since I already have an Amazon account. So far it’s working great for music. News or talk type programs I get directly from the internet with a tablet via WIFI. Most radio stations are on the internet today as was mentioned.

GhostHawk
12-24-2021, 11:18 AM
Amazon prime Music is no longer free. They want you to sign up for a 30 day free trial after which you can bet you will be billed.

I have often listened to many radio stations by doing a simple google search for their call letters. Push the play button and you have free internet music. Granted you need a computer and a internet connection.

I have also been experimenting with SDR, for around 25$ you get a dongle that plugs into a USB port, a link to free software, antenna's, etc. In theory it opens up the whole spectrum. No transmit, just listen. But you can tune what you like. Some places Fire Departments, Medics, etc can be listened to, along with NOAA, the whole shebang. But it does have a fairly steep learning curve.

The more up to date cities/county's are going to use encrypted radio. Which means you may hear some dots, dashes but not voices.

It is actually kind of fun to tinker with if you have time. Loads of info on Youtube about it.

All depends on what you want.

marlin39a
12-24-2021, 12:17 PM
I’ve got an Ocean Digital internet radio. I can search for programs from all over the world, and save them to a favorite list. I listen to it everyday. Make sure you have good internet service. If not, it will constantly buffer.

jonp
12-25-2021, 02:18 PM
Switched from IHeart when they went woke to Spotify. Listen 10-12hrs a day to mostly podcasts on my phone. Streams wireless to my truck radio.
Bongino
Shapiro
JRE
Jenna Ellis
Newt
Michael Malice
Bunch of others

bangerjim
12-26-2021, 01:14 AM
Be careful........free is not always FFREE!!!!!!!!

And, being a critical music audiophile, I cannot stand the quality of most of the music "streamed". Even SiriusXM sounds like garbage LO-FI audio from a cassette or 8 track. They cram so much into a tiny bandwidth, all the quality and life is squeezed out of it.

Now, if you are just listening to pod-cast type stuff with talk radio, it should be OK...similar quality to AM radio!

I only go for HD quality music. And that generally COSTS you something! I never listen to anything on my cell phone...even blu-toothed to my car's high end HI-FI audio system.

After all, nothing really good is generally free in this life.

hiram
12-26-2021, 01:18 AM
http://radio.garden/visit/dunshaughlin/ledDD16y

hc18flyer
12-26-2021, 09:32 AM
hiram- Thanks, I will be checking that out! I appreciate all your replies! I am wanting a 'stand alone unit', rather than my phone or older tablet. But I may try the tablet and a good speaker? I mostly listen to music, but enjoy the BBC, and podcasts. I do gave very good WiFi. Thanks again, hc18flyer

GregLaROCHE
12-28-2021, 10:12 AM
hiram- Thanks, I will be checking that out! I appreciate all your replies! I am wanting a 'stand alone unit', rather than my phone or older tablet. But I may try the tablet and a good speaker? I mostly listen to music, but enjoy the BBC, and podcasts. I do gave very good WiFi. Thanks again, hc18flyer

That’s a very interesting music site. I’ll be checking it out more in the future. Thanks for posting it.

DukeSoprano
12-28-2021, 12:55 PM
http://www.1940sukradio.co.uk/BHFR/

I love British Homefront radio, it takes you back to WWII and besides the music they also play original and reproduced newscast and special bulletins

hc18flyer
12-28-2021, 02:58 PM
http://www.1940sukradio.co.uk/BHFR/

I love British Homefront radio, it takes you back to WWII and besides the music they also play original and reproduced newscast and special bulletins

Thank you! My Mom and I will enjoy this! She grew up listening to the BBC on shortwave.