PDA

View Full Version : Difference in gas check brasnds??

Jeffery8mm
01-16-2009, 06:38 PM
I have several different brands of 30 cal gas checks. The Lee Sizer/Luber seems to crimp them on all the same. The lymans and hornady checks are what I have most of. I have been shooting the Hornady checks. Should the lymans shoot close to the same as far as POI?? They look the same when crimped on by the Lee tool.
Thanks
Jeff

docone31
01-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I believe, Hornady makes the crimps for everybody.
Lyman used to make theirs, no more.
Or so I was led to believe.

Jeffery8mm
01-16-2009, 06:52 PM
The lymans I have will be older ones I imagine.
Jeff

bcp477
01-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Correct. Hornady now makes all of the gas checks on the market.

grumpy one
01-16-2009, 08:49 PM
A few years ago Lyman started selling Hornady gas checks under the Lyman brand. Lyman checks made prior to that (I think it was only about 3 years ago) are different in design from the Hornady ones; they are designed to push on rather than crimp on. Lyman's design intent was that it didn't matter whether they were shed in flight or not. I haven't seen any persuasive evidence that it matters either, but I haven't seen a serious scientifically designed test on the subject.

There are some important differences in the way you go about sizing GC bullets, depending on whether the checks are slip-on or crimp-on. Essentially, spring-back loosens Lyman checks so you prefer that sizing be minimal. You can anneal the Lyman checks to keep them from springing back, but then you lose the benefit of the press-on fit they are designed to have.

The Hornady checks need to be crimped to keep them on. Spring-back loosens Hornady checks too, but usually not by enough to overcome the crimping feature so they still can't easily be pulled off. Annealing Hornady checks usually does good rather than harm: they are intended to be crimped on, not pressed on, so making them soft stops the spring-back without ruining the feature that is supposed to keep them in place.

Blammer
01-16-2009, 08:59 PM
the only scientific notes I have seen on the GC being shed in flight are those who've had a chronograph destroyed by one that came off... :)

JeffinNZ
01-16-2009, 09:12 PM
That makes TWO of us then. My Chrony was out of action for a long while and now wears a Lexan face plate.

1z-bar
01-16-2009, 11:59 PM
I saw a gas check maker on evil-bay that made them out of a pop cans {item # 330300226030 }. These would be like the old lyman. I'm not sure how good aluminum gas checks would work. Don't the other ones have zinc on them? Please let me know what you think! Thanks!

dromia
01-17-2009, 01:48 AM
Correct. Hornady now makes all of the gas checks on the market.

What about Gator checks?

Naphtali
01-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Correct. Hornady now makes all of the gas checks on the market.Gator checks are chopped liver?

selmerfan
01-17-2009, 02:29 PM
I use Lyman and Hornady interchangeably, my .30-06 doesn't tell me a difference, sub-MOA at 100 yds. with 14 gr. unique and an RCBS 30-150sp boolit.