PDA

View Full Version : 44 Bullet design that is tolerant and works

TurnipEaterDown
12-22-2021, 03:16 PM
So, some few years back I decided to design a cast bullet for my 44 Rem Mag.
I already had some successful work designing a couple wildcat rifle cartridges behind me, so thought 'why not' given that I had had disappointment up until that time w/cast bullets I had used in my mildly customized Ruger SBH. I knew cast bullets and revolvers should shoot well, I am not a heretic, and I had very good results w/ my Linebaugh 475, so I wanted to give it a go.

I did this because (1) commercial bullets I had tried in my 44 SBH generally didn't give me the accuracy I desired, leaded my barrel, and didn't save me $ while shooting, (2) the Lee 310 just didn't perform on game for me (if you had other luck, great, but for me I was disappointed after shooting a porcupine 4 times and several deer several times each), (3) the Lyman 429244 GC mold I used to have produced bullets that didn't satisfy me (again, great if they do for you, I never got good groups), (4) the LBT 260 WFN GC, while fantastic for me at 25-50 yd, does seem to have stability issues at 100 yd and beyond as some prominent gun writers report (groups Do open up for me).

What was I looking for?
Design criteria were: a bullet weight between 240 & 300 grains (to retain velocity above the speed of sound at impact), Plain Base (save me $ on GCs, time in finishing bullet, and to reduce a variable in bullet consistency - GC don't always fit perfect), easy to load (tolerant of small variation in length of case), easy to get to shoot well (i.e. not terribly finicky of powder or charge), stable at longer ranges, would fit in multiple firearms, and must have pronounced impact characteristics.

I did do a lot of bench-marking of successful designs in making the bullet design I did, so won't claim mystic abilities in the effort, but I did achieve what I wanted and so have decided to share the fruit of my effort.
If a reader doesn't like the design, or disagrees with something I present, so be it. It is what I found through my efforts and have very fine success in using. I have shot thousands of these, and at this point don't see anything I want to change.
They shoot better for me than the 429244, produce smaller groups at 100 & 200yds than the LBT 260 WFN GC, and create a better impact characteristic than other comparable bullets I have tested, including the Lee 310.
As a pleasant aside, the design allows high powder charges to be used at very reasonable pressures.

Detail of my bullet design is below, with abbreviated test results:

Measurements listed represent caliper measurements of as cast bullet from original Mountain Mold provided to my design.
This bullet is now offered by Accurate Molds as 43-280G. Dimensions there were derived from my measurements below sent to the owner or Accurate Molds, and likely from as cast samples I also provided.

0.31" Long Nose
0.34" Meplat (Nose flatness important for cavitation in wound channel)
0.1" Driving band (outside of case)
0.055" wide crimp groove 0.020" deep
0.100" first body band
0.100" grease groove, 0.021" deep
0.110" base band (I wanted a "chunky" band to provide good support under moderately high pressure)
0.772" total overall length
0.41" outside of loaded case
1.685" loaded COL w/ 44 mag case trimmed @ 1.275"
Design Notes: Generous crimp groove is tolerant to trim length. Nose designed to try to match rifling engagement taper to common forcing cone angle

Pressure data:
280 gr Mountain, ~1.69"
WW296 with fed 155, 14" TC bbl (included 1 5/8" brake)
24 gr 1481 fps @ 26,000 psi

Photos below show unsized and unfired 280 Mountain Mold cast bullet designed by me.

In photos below the Left (actually Upper, photo is rotated) water saturated phone book was hit twice w/ 280 Mountain, once (Left Top of this photo, on the top right in original) with a soft nose of ~ 90 grains loaded to 1440 fps with 25 grains W296 and a WLP primer, same load without soft nose on Left Bottom (left top on original photo). Distance ~ 15 yards. This load makes probably ~ 30,000 psi. Note that Hard cast produced greater surface opening in the saturated newsprint.
Hardcast bullet was 23-27 BHN (as was base of softnose bullet). Alloy either quenched wheel weight w/ antimony added or quenched “HP Alloy” that I use (made of 5 lbs indoor rimfire/airgun range lead, ½ - ¾ lb 60/40 Antimony/tin, and 1 lb high arsenic shot). Penetration distance was measured ~ 12”
Right phone book (Bottom in original photo) was hit once w/ 310 LEE (with a soft nose of 90 grains) loaded over 21.5 grains A300MP and a WLP primer. ~ 1250 fps. Distance ~ 15 yards. Penetration distance was measured ~ 13”
For both 44 bullets, a Ruger SBH 44 Magnum test arm with 7.5” barrel was used. Pictures are from September 2016.

3 Recovered Bullets in this photo below (First 3, in order Bottom to Top of included photo, in original photo, L to R) were in the hard cast 280 Mountain, Softnosed 280 Mountain, and softnosed 310 LEE all after being fired into the phone books.
Note the riveted nose on the hardcast 280 mountain as recovered. The Nose is of Bigger diameter after recovery than the Body at loading.
This hard bullet did Not “shatter” as some will suggest that they will. Perhaps this is because these were shot into wet newsprint (decent simulation of muscle tissue) and no hard object was struck. However, I will say that I have shot a lot of hard bullets into rock filled clay banks and none that I ever dug out were found shattered, they often had portions sheared away, but I always saw Plastic Deformation, Never shattering. Retained weight of the hardcast 280 after recovery was basically same as unfired. All recorded BHN prior to firing that are noted were measured with LBT hardness tester. Some loss of hardness has occurred w/ time w/ these alloys. What they were at firing may have been slightly less.

As a comparison, a caliber & bullet weight often noted for good penetration was also fired into this test media on the same day / time.
The 3 topmost Bullets in this same photo above (1/2 way up, to top in the photo, or midpoint to right in original photo presentation) were the hard cast 370 RCBS fired from Steyr 41 40 into the phone books, and two (2) Softnosed 370 RCBS fired into the phone books. Velocity at muzzle of the 41 40 rounds was 1650 fps. BHN of base/whole non-softnosed 416 bullet was 20-24 (quenched WW).
Note that the softnosed bullets were all found with the soft lead having sheared away down to the hardcast base material (both 44 & 416 calibers).

The impact characteristic of these three 416 bullets are seen in photo above. In bottom of the photo (Left in original photo) from the hardnose variant and 2 upper bullets (far right most in original photo) of softnose variant. Looking at notes from the time, penetration was ~ 17”. Note that the impact characteristic of the 416 bullets (having a SWC "Keith" nose), were less profound than the 44 280, though driven 200 fps faster and impacting at the same distance from the muzzle.
The little hole in the middle of these was a 30-06 165 SST loaded to full velocity.

ddixie884
12-22-2021, 04:11 PM
Crimped in the groove, will these fit normal cylinders? M-29 or SBH? if so it looks good to me.........

TurnipEaterDown
12-22-2021, 04:19 PM
They were designed to fit to fit what you mentioned, and have been verified in S&W 29/629 (4 different guns), Ruger Super Blackhawk (SBH) / Bisley (2 different cylinders in my gun, but of course the factory cylinder is same SBH/Bisley), TC Contender.

TurnipEaterDown
12-22-2021, 04:24 PM
In case someone asks about differences in media producing the different results from one test round to another: They were all the same type of phone books printed over a variety of years and received from the same company, and all sat in a wheelbarrow full of water for a week plus before being pulled out to be shot. No dry paper found anywhere in the mass when split open to inspect impact cavities and measure penetration distance.

Cosmic_Charlie
12-23-2021, 09:59 PM
That generous front band looks good. Should offer good alignment of the cartridge when chambered.

TurnipEaterDown
12-24-2021, 11:46 AM
That was the intention 'Cosmic Charlie', and it still chambers in a S&W 29/629 quadruplet that a friend has (I had been told S&W were intolerant of a bullet having a long diving band, and of course I wouldn't have had a print to reference). Nose not too long for designs w/ slightly short cylinders, and yet gets the bullet volume out of the case while still retaining alignment. Gave me an 8" 9 shot group at 200 yd when doing BC estimation work (coefficient by drop & known muzzle velocity), and I have to admit that I am no wiz silhouette shooter.

mdi
12-24-2021, 01:28 PM
Bullets look a lot like the Ranch Dog design. RD designed the bullet specifically for hunting and I acquired 2 several years ago, even though I son't hunt anymore. A 240 gr and a 265 gr bullet, RNFP but gas checked. I have driven both to over 1,600+ fps through my 44 Mag. Puma quite accurately and they both shoot quite well in my 3 other 44 Mags. IIRC RD designed them for 444 Marlin, but perform excelentlly in my 44 Speciald and 44 Magnums.

W.R.Buchanan
12-24-2021, 06:22 PM
Your Boolit Design looks "VERY" similar to Lyman 429-640 Devastator. I have the MP Molds version 432-640 GC that has 4 different options for HP's or solid. These shoot well from my Marlin 1894 CB 24" with a 1:38 twist barrel and I get about 1600 fps from 23 gr of H110 Best group was 1.5" at 100 yards with Iron Sights.

I'm all in for "experimentation," but totally against "Reinventing the Wheel.

If you haven't gotten a mould made yet, you might look at these. It would save you from future disappointment, and the Resale Value is high if you don't like it!

I just got a .402165 4 cav. mold from him ordered 12/15 received 12/21! 6 days from Slovenia is pretty good service! The mold is Jewelry!

He makes about the best bullet moulds in existence. They come in and out of stock frequently so be patient.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/432-640-hollow-point-2-cavity-plain-base-mold-2/

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/432-640-hollow-point-2-cavity-gas-check-mold/

Randy

TurnipEaterDown
12-26-2021, 12:52 PM
In response to "mdi":
I didn't know of the Ranch Dog bullet line when I designed the mold that I did for this bullet of mine. If they are similar, that is a coincidence. Good things can come out of independent, work, and looks like I was fortunate to have done so.
I do see that NOE apparently lists (some of) the RD designs, but the link on the NOE site that came up as being to the RD site (http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/) gives me a "Bullet molds and load date are no longer available" error.
Too bad, it would have been interesting to look at the design offerings after having read the comments from the RD design creator. Especially interesting would have been the data.
Thanks for the comments.
Do you have an active site link for the complete Ranch Dog bullet catalog?

In response to Randy (W.R.Buchanan):
Re: the Lyman 429640 Devastator is a HP & GC.
I had no interest in a Lyman HP mold, or for that matter most HP designs / molds.
HP designs bring their own issues. HP cavities often plug w/ material when striking an object (various document impact studies display this), and I don't think that the expansion that is intended by a HP is necessary if the meplat is designed well. Mushrooming from a HP tends to produce a rounded frontal area that does not support the best shockwave, and the rounded nose tends to cause the bullet follow tissue boundaries of the muscle groups / bone interfaces rather than continuing to strike a straight line of penetration. This is especially true with over expanded bullets. Besides being documented from such authors as Art Alphin, I had seen this first hand by investigating the bullet track inside of a ~ 200 lb boar shot broadside with a 44 cal 285 gr HP Golden Bear bullet out of a TC at ~1500 fps. These GB bullets were designed to expand, and then shed the nose. When it did this, the body of the bullet turned in path and followed the spine up the neck, lodging near the base of the skull. It took a 90° in the penetration track. Not desirable performance.
It has also been shown that meplat design can be very effective at expanding the wound cavity. Tests on solid bullets with modern face designs, used in rifles for dangerous game, display this.
My reason for not liking Lyman HP Molds, like the devastator, is that they are single cavity. They cast slow. I nearly bought one of these molds years ago, but have never regretted my decision to not buy it.
There are other HP mold makers that offer multi cavity HPs, sure, but I just don't like HPs as stated, and didn't want a HP design.
I have no doubt that your Marlin shoots these Lyman bullets well, I used to have a 1894 Marlin in 44 Mag that not only shot jacketed bullets into 0.75 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds, and 1.5" at 200 yd, but also shot the 310 LEE really well also at ~1600 fps. It was a microgroove barrel, and having shot the cast well at these speeds pretty much showed that the common comment of microgroove Marlins not shooting cast bullets well is bunk on at least some occasions. I sold that gun of mine because I could not hunt deer with it legally where I hunted at the time. Sometimes now I wish I had it back.
The 8" group I mentioned as having shot during ballistic coefficient estimation work was with a handgun. I don't think this is reflective of rifle accuracy. I don't have a 44 rifle at present, or would have used it for the BC work. It undoubtedly would have reduced my group sizes and estimation errors on BC. I am Not the best shot w/ a handgun. I do OK, but am not signing up for any matches...

Re: The MP molds.
I have seen these before (after designing mine through Mountain Molds), though will say the meplat does look smaller on those MP designs than on mine.
I wanted a fairly large meplat, and 79% is pretty large if a person still wants stability at 100-200 yds. I don't see dimensions in the drawings on the links you provided for the MP molds, but if we are going on looks, the meplat on these do look smaller than on what I designed.
I didn't really care about feed angle for my bullet, I designed it for handguns (revolver & single shot). So, I didn't care about profile in regards to feeding. Good designers offering something commercial do need to consider this as a design aspect, and then decide on how to follow through.
I have nothing against this maker, but I did not know of those molds when designing mine (I designed mine ~ 2013-14, tests were in 2016). Quite possibly that maker was in business, but I didn't know about them.

I have no interest in selling my mold, it was an experiment & challenge for myself. I set out to "reinvent" nothing. I set out to accomplish something based on what I had learned. I believe that I have done this.

Of course I have already gotten my mold, how else could I have presented pressure & impact results from the bullet being tested unless I produced them from a mold? I am puzzled by the comment.

Last comments in response:
Bullet design like this is much like cartridge wildcatting. A person either wants to do it or not.
There is almost no wildcat cartridge out there that doesn't have performance parameters already served by some current / obsolete commercial offering. Also, very few wildcat chambered firearms are a good return on investment. Exception would be a "special" by a named maker.
Another analogy would be hotrodded / modified vehicles. I have direct experience there too, and as soon as you pull the blown up engine from your favorite 1960s / 1970s muscle car and drop in an over bored, stroked, roller cammed, aluminum headed, multi-carb engine, you have destroyed a large part of the value. However, lots of people take personnel enjoyment from the result, and it is/used to be a popular undertaking.

So, of course this bullet may share some similarities with others. There are just certain design aspects that are necessary for meeting certain performance objectives, given the design space to work in.
The thing is: Did I succeed at creating something useful from my knowledge? Yes.
Is it "the bestest thing ever"? I never did suggest that.

W.R.Buchanan
12-28-2021, 06:07 PM
You kinda missed my point that my MP Mould will also Cast Solids. There are 3 sets of HP pins and one set of pins that generate a solid nose. I use solids mostly as I have no direct need for an HP other than for shooting watermelons.

My other point was I didn't see enough difference to warrant going off to a Custom Mould.

But after your thorough response, I see that you are all about having fun, and that is kinda what we all are doing.

Some just have fun in different ways. Good Luck with your experiments!

And it very well may be the "Bestest thing ever?" Only you can answer that?

I spent 16 years so far Building this Cummins Powered Jeep from Scratch. So we are not that different. I am close to getting what I thought I wanted. Another year or so, and I'll be there!

Randy

TurnipEaterDown
12-29-2021, 09:34 AM
Randy,
Thanks for taking my response in the spirit intended. Email, and things like this can "sound" unintentionally 'bitchy' at times.

That's quite a project w/ your Jeep, did you pirate the engine & controller from a Dodge pickup to make it somewhat easier?

I have a close relative and a few friends put in many years at Chrysler, Diamler, FCA, Stellantis, sad to see what is going on over there.

Thanks for the response.

W.R.Buchanan
12-30-2021, 07:20 PM
TED: Nothing about this was easy! I built it from scratch because Jeep had promised a Diesel Jeep for years and never delivered even though they had made them forever in Toledo OH and shipped them everywhere in the world except their own dealer ships here in the US! I got sick of waiting.

The Jeep has a Cummins 4BT from a Doritos Van. It is strictly a Mechanical Engine. It has a GM TH400 3 Speed Auto Trans, a US Gear Overdrive, and then an Atlas 4.3 Transfer Case. Then a Currie Rock Jock HP Dana 60 with ARB Air Locker in the Back and HP Dana 44 with Air Locker in the front both with 4.10 gears. 37" Goodyear MTR's all around. The only Jeep Part on the vehicle is the Grill! I built the Frame and all running gear. It has a complete Fiberglass Body, Doors and Full Length Hard Top. Yukon Denali Seats, and A/C etc,etc.

Still got some refinements to do to it which will be coming this next year. Been kind of a long winded project but it drives nice even though it is a little noisy inside. Got several things to do to tame that down.

Randy