PDA

View Full Version : Which mould to buy?

metricmonkeywrench
12-22-2021, 02:23 PM
I have an opportunity to buy either one of 2 available Lyman moulds with handles (can’t buy both unfortunately). Both moulds produce the same wadcutter bullet, one is marked 35863 (#7) indicating an older mould and the other is marked 358063 (#6) making it a “newer” construction mould. Other than the pix I have no additional info from the seller so it’s a crap shoot as to what either mould cast to or cavity condition though they appear to have been stored well. I have read a few posts on the mould and see discussions on application (Mdl-52) though I will be mainly shooting them thru a S&W Mdl 10 and 64.

Given the choices what would be your vote the older 5 digit or the newer 6 digit?

This is more of a target of opportunity vice a need, I already have a couple of WC moulds on the shelf already- 2 cav HG #50, a lee Soupcan 148g, 4 Cav 358495 and a 2 cav 358432, so I don’t really “need” this one…

45DUDE
12-22-2021, 03:43 PM
I have a 358063 4 hole <had to go look> I bought not long ago and it drops boolits about perfect. It replaced a 35863 2 cavity I am going to let go. A good one is hard to find at a good price. No trouble benching under 1 1/2'' with 10 shots at 25 yards with my long barrel 19-3. I like my H&G button nose 148 a tad better. Lyman handles are hard to come by. I have to make Lee work. On a side note- I turn the mold so the sprue plate is on the far side-works better for me and no chance of hitting the handles. Also it's easier to pick up one piece of lead from the sprue plate instead of 4. <IT'S CHRISTMAS--GIT BOTH> One will drop boolits easier or the boolits may look better and then sell the other.

ioon44
12-23-2021, 08:56 AM
I would get a 5 cav because that is what Accurate molds offer.

pworley1
12-23-2021, 09:03 AM
I have found that the older molds are usually better than the newer ones.

GregLaROCHE
12-25-2021, 01:23 PM
Since not a particular mold you need, I think price should pay a big part in your decision. If it’s not a great deal, I’d say pass on it and save your money. However, I’m often not a good example of that.

Good Cheer
12-29-2021, 11:55 AM
metric,
Unless I was confident in what the seller had to say I'd want to look at good quality close up photos of sample castings before laying out the money for a four cavity.

gwpercle
12-29-2021, 03:46 PM
It's like buying a car from one photo of the exterior ...
What matters is what's under the hood ... and he wont let you look .

You buying a Pig in a Poke .
Know what my Daddy said about buying a Pig in a Poke ... Don't !
Gary

rintinglen
12-30-2021, 11:24 AM
I would ask for more pictures, at least a shot of the mold open to check the state of the cavities. Then I would decide which I preferred, if either.
However, I have a five digit mold that casts excellent boolits and I would be sorely tempted to buy one of these if I did not, they are very accurate.

MT Gianni
12-30-2021, 01:08 PM
I would go by price or much better pictures of the cavities. I like the DE WC that the 63 is but find the best need for it is for the S&W model 52 auto-loader in 38 special. I find a very slight accuracy edge for me with a button nose wc after reading that Col Harrison found the same. I also see more accuracy issues by over lubing than by limiting the lube to one groove only, especially with today's lubes.
Get either if you really need a 4 cavity. I would ask to have the bullets removed and pics of the cavities if it were me.

Cosmic_Charlie
01-20-2022, 11:34 AM
I saw some molds from an estate at the lgs that were filled with lead like those. Must have been a thing to leave them filled like that.