PDA

View Full Version : Gentlemen, I am going senile

JohnH
12-22-2021, 09:55 AM
I bought a 4 cavity Lyman 452460 recently, was doing a little cleaning up on it this morning and some detective work trying to find the burr or whatever was hanging up the bullet in one cavity. After I'd finished and was putting it away, I was pondering if I should sell some of the molds I have I never use when I saw a mold I'd completely forgotten I'd bought.

I got this mold at an estate sale last year along with a Lyman 20 pound casting pot and some other goodies, the mold is a double cavity Lee 312185 of the old style block, which I much prefer over the new style so much so that I won't even have one of the new style. I remember being quite pleased with this find as I have a single cavity of the same cut and use it in several rifles, a CZ 7.62x39, Marlin 30-30, Ruger 308, Lee-Enfield Mk4 NO.1 and an AR 300 Black Out. It's quite a versatile bullet and it shoots quite well but as a single cavity it just isn't quite up to the production I want, so when I saw the double cavity I nabbed it. Problem at this point is I'd completely forgotten I had it. I'd so completely forgotten about it that two weeks ago I bought the NOE SC-311-171-RF-13 4 cavity. To make matters worse I have a plastic ramen noodle bowl on my table full of the Lee 312185. I've no idea when I cast them nor which of the two molds I have I cast them with.

My wife says I get more like my Dad every day. He was a grumpy, ill tempered, arthritic, pack rat with a bad memory. It does not pain me that she says this. It pains me that every week something happens which reminds me of the truth of it. Like any man worth his salt, I have a tool for most any situation a fella could find himself in. The problem at this point is being able to recognize the situation for what it is and remembering where the tool is at.

NSB
12-22-2021, 09:58 AM
Hurray, I’m not alone!

TurnipEaterDown
12-22-2021, 10:09 AM
Nah, my bet is not senile. Probably just lots of things to do, and when something gets completed (find the new mold), the thought / memory goes in the "done" pile, rather than chasing down all the tails. This is my explanation...
I always "know" I will "remember" the more recent things, and that all will be good... Just too many things to remember every day... :)

Half Dog
12-22-2021, 10:11 AM
I’m getting there too. My lack of funds keeps me from making purchases and forgetting.

Markopolo
12-22-2021, 10:25 AM
John.... you just Had to bring this up....

Seems like I resemble this post wayyyyy to much... like all of us, I feel the need to push BACK against the issues my body suffers, and now it seems I need to constantly push back against mental stuff as well????? there is no peace against the war of getting older...

I wish I could just let it go and age gracefully, but something in my just wants to FIGHT!!!!! therefore, I remain the "He was a grumpy, ill tempered, arthritic, pack rat with a bad memory".. I used to be such a nice guy?????

Marko

SSGOldfart
12-22-2021, 11:02 AM
I'm in the same boat as well[smilie=b:

dogrunner
12-22-2021, 11:08 AM
What is it we were talking about? And whereinhell'd I put my hearing aidsanyway??

smoked turkey
12-22-2021, 11:19 AM
oh man. This is getting close to home. right now I'm sort of looking for a set of keys that are to two tool boxes and a garage door. I'm just sure it'll find them. unfortunately it will probably be right after i cut the padlocks off.

gwpercle
12-22-2021, 11:48 AM
I turned into my Dad about 5 years ago ... Stephen King could write a real good horror story on this premise and a heck of a movie could be made ... watching yourself turn into and to start doing things that you swore you would never do ... is truly scarey !
Gary

JohnH
12-22-2021, 12:04 PM
oh man. This is getting close to home. right now I'm sort of looking for a set of keys that are to two tool boxes and a garage door. I'm just sure it'll find them. unfortunately it will probably be right after i cut the padlocks off.

Been there, done that, got the wife look.

John Boy
12-22-2021, 12:10 PM
Got it all on a Zip drive with spreadsheets for when I die and who to contact to sell …
Including the 263 molds, 32 die sets, 1700 lbs Pb, 3000+ brass cases, etc

NSB
12-22-2021, 12:34 PM
Got it all on a Zip drive with spreadsheets for when I die and who to contact to sell …
Including the 263 molds, 32 die sets, 1700 lbs Pb, 3000+ brass cases, etc
Great idea. I did that also. Put it on a thumb drive. Now where the heck is that thumb drive?

Baltimoreed
12-22-2021, 12:48 PM
Sadly my dad got to where he confused me with his brother. I still know who my son is just fine and have a pretty firm grip on reality. Not that the last couple of years couldn’t have been a really bad fever dream.

12-22-2021, 01:09 PM
Way to close to home.

shortlegs
12-22-2021, 01:27 PM
I resemble that! I sometimes forget what I was doing when I take a break. My Dad at 91 tells me ....You aint seen nothing yet!

skeettx
12-22-2021, 02:05 PM
HUH?? What did you say??

hc18flyer
12-22-2021, 02:21 PM
Hurray, I’m not alone!

Ditto!

bedbugbilly
12-22-2021, 02:27 PM
Geez John! Now you've gone and done it and let folks know there are a lot of us out there with the same issue! :-)

I have been casting for a lot of years and like many, my mold collection just seems to multiply like rabbits. A few years ago, I typed up an inventory of my molds - my thoughts were if I had one, I wouldn't buy a duplicate. Well that didn't work so well . . . . more times than I want to admit I have run across molds that I thought might be fun to have - only to buy it and discover I already have one but haven't used it for years.

Welcome to the CRS club! Our next annual meeting is tomorrow - no if I could only remember where it's being held! Hah!

Oyeboten
12-22-2021, 02:57 PM
I bought a 4 cavity Lyman 452460 recently, was doing a little cleaning up on it this morning and some detective work trying to find the burr or whatever was hanging up the bullet in one cavity. After I'd finished and was putting it away, I was pondering if I should sell some of the molds I have I never use when I saw a mold I'd completely forgotten I'd bought.

I got this mold at an estate sale last year along with a Lyman 20 pound casting pot and some other goodies, the mold is a double cavity Lee 312185 of the old style block, which I much prefer over the new style so much so that I won't even have one of the new style. I remember being quite pleased with this find as I have a single cavity of the same cut and use it in several rifles, a CZ 7.62x39, Marlin 30-30, Ruger 308, Lee-Enfield Mk4 NO.1 and an AR 300 Black Out. It's quite a versatile bullet and it shoots quite well but as a single cavity it just isn't quite up to the production I want, so when I saw the double cavity I nabbed it. Problem at this point is I'd completely forgotten I had it. I'd so completely forgotten about it that two weeks ago I bought the NOE SC-311-171-RF-13 4 cavity. To make matters worse I have a plastic ramen noodle bowl on my table full of the Lee 312185. I've no idea when I cast them nor which of the two molds I have I cast them with.

My wife says I get more like my Dad every day. He was a grumpy, ill tempered, arthritic, pack rat with a bad memory. It does not pain me that she says this. It pains me that every week something happens which reminds me of the truth of it. Like any man worth his salt, I have a tool for most any situation a fella could find himself in. The problem at this point is being able to recognize the situation for what it is and remembering where the tool is at.

Your description co-responds to everyone I have ever known who was moderately active or quite active with re-Loading.

It's just how it is!

Lol...

Ithaca Gunner
12-22-2021, 03:01 PM
Welcome to the ''Island of Misplaced Thoughts''!

slim1836
12-22-2021, 03:04 PM
It only gets worse, I'm there too.

Slim

quilbilly
12-22-2021, 03:05 PM
I find this aspirational. Every mold I buy is a new one to me and makes me happy.

kootne
12-22-2021, 03:45 PM
We all are probably a little that way. Here is how you determine between the trivial symptoms and the serious ones; If you can't find your car keys- it's trivial. If you ask what are these? regarding your car keys - it's serious. If you walk into a room and wonder why you are there - trivial. Unless it's the bathroom, then it is serious. Funny thing, if it is trivial you think you may have a problem. If it's serious, you are probably someone else's problem.

tinsnips
12-22-2021, 05:11 PM
I can lose a paper on my office desk when the desk isnt even messed up. I can forget a name 30 seconds after i hear it. I have forgot the rest of the stuff i was going to write. HAHA

todd9.3x57
12-22-2021, 05:24 PM
are you going biden senile or just plain old senile?

David2011
12-22-2021, 05:31 PM
Just a theory. There’s only so much room in the front of the brain for everything that’s current activity that requires focus. Anything done as a side activity while concentrating on the primary activity bypasses the active memory and does to deep or very deep storage. If a moment is taken to think to oneself, “I did -this- with -xyz” then the chance of recall is increased significantly. If the action takes place without consciously thinking about it and the item is placed anywhere other than it’s normal storage area, it’s lost.

GL49
12-22-2021, 06:32 PM
We all are probably a little that way. Here is how you determine between the trivial symptoms and the serious ones; If you can't find your car keys- it's trivial. If you ask what are these? regarding your car keys - it's serious. If you walk into a room and wonder why you are there - trivial. Unless it's the bathroom, then it is serious. Funny thing, if it is trivial you think you may have a problem. If it's serious, you are probably someone else's problem.

Yesirree Bob, we do need a "like" button somewhere.

15meter
12-22-2021, 06:38 PM
I've considered tattooing my name and address on the back of my hand but think "if found wandering return to":.................. on my forehead would be more effective, I'd forget to look at the back of my hand:violin:

abunaitoo
12-22-2021, 07:24 PM
My mind is like a steal trap.
Still sharp as a razor.
But what is a mold??????:rolleyes::bigsmyl2:

Bmi48219
12-22-2021, 08:44 PM
It must be contagious. Tomorrow is our anniversary. The wife misplaced the card she had selected for me and spent an hour and a half finding it. I, on the other hand, only had to look for the one I bought for her ten minutes before going out to buy another one.

JohnH
12-22-2021, 09:29 PM
It must be contagious. Tomorrow is our anniversary. The wife misplaced the card she had selected for me and spent an hour and a half finding it. I, on the other hand, only had to look for the one I bought for her ten minutes before going out to buy another one.

OMG, I so relate to this. I dare not say a word to Mrs. because she misplaces something and can't find it....

GhostHawk
12-22-2021, 09:48 PM
OP I think you are talking for over half of us here.

Least your sure singing a song I recognize.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

dale2242
12-23-2021, 06:59 AM
If you wonder why so many have responded to this thread look at the average age of members on this site!!!!!

Land Owner
12-23-2021, 07:02 AM
After surviving the weaponized effects of Covid's viral pneumonia this year, there is NOTHING like a debilitating disease to make one FEEL age and LIVE its symptoms, including Brain Fog and loss of some short-term memory. Looking in the mirror I ask that guy, "What happened to YOU?" and get a deer in the headlights stare in return...

John Guedry
12-23-2021, 09:55 AM
You folks make me feel "normal"?

Poygan
12-23-2021, 10:03 AM
Now I don't feel like I'm the only one experiencing these "malfunctions".

jaysouth
12-23-2021, 11:59 AM
Having just turned 75, I quit worrying about such things. I can now cite old age to cover a multitude of lapses and sins. Having just sold some real estate, I can buy all the toys I ever wanted and duplicates in case I forgot that I had it already.

Bmi48219
12-23-2021, 06:11 PM
.I can buy all the toys I ever wanted and duplicates in case I forgot that I had it already.

Certainly a goal worth striving for.

Hootmix
12-23-2021, 10:05 PM
The little wife found me standing in the hallway to the bathroom (live in a trailer- err mobile home), what's up, she ask's, i don't know if i'm going in to go, or just coming out,, say's I. Wife say's,, we need to go to town for a few things, i say ok, wait till after i go to the bathroom first, " she grinned" OK!!!

" I know the coffee's ready", Hootmix.

Smoke4320
12-23-2021, 10:49 PM
Well I feel that.... squirrel...
Ah was going to ...squirrel

GregLaROCHE
12-24-2021, 12:49 AM
I hate when I receive something I ordered and then realize I already had it.

45workhorse
12-24-2021, 12:54 AM
I haven't forgotten a dang thing...... I just misplaced it in my mind:bigsmyl2:

Big Tom
12-24-2021, 09:24 AM
Wanted to respond yesterday and then forgot about it.... For what it's worth - you are not alone!

Wis Tom
12-24-2021, 12:11 PM
It is, at most, bad, when forgetting things, but I found two ammo boxes, that I had put up, and forgot, one full of 44mag and 45ACP, and the other full of 308, the other day when cleaning the shop. Bonus! Can't remember hiding them but great find. Just can't for the life of me, think of why I put those there, full of factory ammo.

DocSavage
12-26-2021, 03:05 PM
I find myself trying to do too many things at once. Came home from church had the doors open so my wife could get in the house in her wheelchair. Took off my hat,put my keys on the hook moved a bag of clothes I bought the day before. Next day go looking for my hat nowhere to be found off to the stotebuy a new hat. 2 weeks later I grab the bag of clothes and there's my hat. Now I'm thinking either slow down pay attention to what you've doing or check into the nice hotel with the tux that have the arms that tie in
the back.

GregLaROCHE
12-28-2021, 10:06 AM
No more multi tasking for me.