PDA

View Full Version : New Ruger Marlins are getting good reviews.

Idaho45guy
12-22-2021, 04:28 AM
Good to see. But at $1400, I think I'll pass...

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/marlin-1895-sbl-rifle-review/

Skinny
12-22-2021, 04:55 AM
I agree. They do look sweet, even threaded bbls. But that MSRP is a killer - i will stick with my Henry.
Hopefully after the newness wears off they will come down to a decently affordable price.

Idaho45guy
12-22-2021, 06:30 AM
My Henry X has exceeded my 1894 Remlin in every way. I'll stick with it for half the price of a new Ruglin.

Randy Bohannon
12-22-2021, 06:45 AM
If their not better than Win/Miroku I have zero interest.

slam45
12-22-2021, 07:20 AM
when they build them in blue steel with real walnut stocks, not plywood, lose the big loop lever, the goofy sights, and threaded barrel, I'll have a look but the model they opened up with is nothing I'd ever bring home... and as others have said a msrp of $1400 is a complete nonstarter... no way I'd consider any of them at that price point.

12-22-2021, 08:03 AM
1400 for the new, well fit, accurate, stainless 45/70, Ruger Marlin sounds much better than the prices of the used ones, for what you are getting. I wish the article had more info on the barrel, and the accuracy.

I also, wish they would hurry up with a 30-30.

Shawlerbrook
12-22-2021, 08:04 AM
https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/ruger-marlin-lever-action-1895-sbl-rifle/454876

smkummer
12-22-2021, 09:00 AM
Yea, I was hoping the MSRP would be lower, and not for me but others with less discretionary income. Not much difference between a 1895 and a 336. I can’t see the 336 selling hardly at all close to this price. Hoping the 1894 comes in at less but who knows. Jeeze, WTH will they be wanting for a 39A if they build it?
If it doesn’t move at that price, manufacturers have been known to drop the price to distributors while leaving the MSRP alone.

DougGuy
12-22-2021, 10:10 AM
If we never had the pandemic, what do you think the price would be? $1100? $1200? The $1400 MSRP actually doesn't seem out of line with everything else in this disastrous administration's economy. Considering the price of gas, the price of steel, groceries, the astronomical jump in the price of housing and even used cars, the Ruglin doesn't sound like such an outrageous deal for all the good improvements Ruger has made to the model before production began. Let's hope they will keep their ears and their ideas open to the preferences of their end users.

freakonaleash
12-22-2021, 10:48 AM
I'm out. A real wood stock would be nice, the over sized lever loop looks stupid, a little larger barrel diameter would be nice and they could skip the stainless steel. Why not a reasonable hunting caliber? Something like a 38-56 or 40-65 would be great. And, there is nothing more stupid that a cross bolt safety on a lever gun. I guess that's why I buy old guns.

Drydock
12-22-2021, 11:18 AM
Standard practice: release the high dollar model first, for the fat wallet collectors who have to have the "first" of something. Fast first return on investment. Base models will come later.

HighUintas
12-22-2021, 11:55 AM
If their not better than Win/Miroku I have zero interest.

True! How do we get Winchester to make more of their levers though so that they're easier to find? I'd love another miroku, but at a usual resale price of $1700-2000+ on GunBroker, I can't afford them

veeman
12-22-2021, 02:34 PM
While I'd never buy a Marlin levergun of any maker, being a forever Winchester man, I do like the slightly oversize lever. It's not stupid twirling round big, but big enough for winter hunting with gloves.

Idaho45guy
12-22-2021, 03:35 PM
While I'd never buy a Marlin levergun of any maker, being a forever Winchester man, I do like the slightly oversize lever. It's not stupid twirling round big, but big enough for winter hunting with gloves.

It's surprising how many people don't know what the the larger levers are for. It's not for looks.

HighUintas
12-22-2021, 03:44 PM
It's surprising how many people don't know what the the larger levers are for. It's not for looks.

About the right size for heavy mitts

Gray Fox
12-22-2021, 04:11 PM
I gues there must be a lot of folks who've never hunted where you need chopper mits and gortex-lined gloves in the winter. GF

freakonaleash
12-22-2021, 04:25 PM
I gues there must be a lot of folks who've never hunted where you need chopper mits and gortex-lined gloves in the winter. GF

I guess that's why I fish instead of hunt. Winter is for staying inside the house and reloading next year's ammo.

gc45
12-22-2021, 06:16 PM
I own an origional and early production Marlin 1895, also the model 1893, both are wonderful rifles. This new Marlin from Ruger is nothing like them or course.

Good reviews always come from paid writers of products, it's called "doing business with the hand that feeds you". Reviews from everyday shooters and hunters are in general, more realistic.

The Marlin action has been a good one by design from the start, and if made correctly meaning, well fitting parts of quality that are smooth and without burrs, fitted with quality stocks, perfectly made sites that work as expected and have a high quality barrel, everyone buying one will have a rifle for life, and their childrens lives as well. However, that word "quality" is a dirty word to bean counters who want high profits, are not hunter/collectors/ care little about our opinion as the end user. You make something, sell the hell out of it through adds and such, then move on to the next design.
Ruger should be making lots of bread and butter single actions (not) and forget about rescueing Marlin or, at least produce an origional rifle with refrain from "Rugerizing" a quality rifle of old.

kenton
12-22-2021, 06:20 PM
$1,400 isn't that far out of line, the equivalent Henry is $1,221 MSRP. As was said the price may still come down.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/all-weather-picatinny-rail-45-70-side-gate/

ulav8r
12-23-2021, 12:47 AM
That highly polished receiver does not look like any Marlin I have ever seen. At least the thread protector on the muzzle does not appear to be knurled, I could not see any evidence it was threaded since there were no close-ups.

dverna
12-23-2021, 01:38 AM
I question the first rifle out of the gate being the 1895

Seems to me the 1894’s would be more popular.

The accuracy claims seem questionable. Like stated above, getting some data from users will be telling.

bisleyfan41
12-23-2021, 04:40 PM
I agree, the 1984s is where the demand is at.. But Ruger probably doesn't have the manufacturing capacity yet to deal with higher demand rifles. This model is basically for getting the machines fired up and production rolling. When they get higher production capacity, you'll start seeing the more popular models.

W.R.Buchanan
12-23-2021, 05:01 PM
OK guys,,, I can tell all of you that the price won't be going down! If you don't already know this the cost of materials to make guns has gone ape!

SS has tripled in cost in just the last 6 months. These guns will be the best made Marlin Rifles of all time, and they are doing everything possible to make that happen. However they also will cost more because that is what it takes to make better guns. I might add that all of the things they have done to these guns to make them better hasn't increased the cost, in fact it has decreased the cost to produce by streamlining the production processes.

I don't know if Ruger will produce any of the "more Generic" guns like Marlin used to, (IE: truck guns) but I would think they would be the last to come out.

The $1300 price point was where the "Third Tier" "Nice Guns" were at in the past, with 1st tier being "truck guns" at $5-600 and 2nd tier being in the $8-900 range. Then the Custom Guns that were made to order by Dakota Arms started at $3500 and went strait up from there.

You guys need to get it thru your heads that everything is going up. Used Cars are worth Twice what they were going for earlier this year.

If you want quality you're going to have to pay for it!

Someone said if they weren't comparable to Winchesters they weren't interested. Well Winchesters cost $15-1600 now, so why should these cost less and still be better?

Things are changing fast and the fact that they can produce these guns at all, should be something to be rewarded with Respect!

And just so you know, I got this from the source and they asked me for input on some of the fine points. Not some internet BS.

Randy

Jeff Michel
12-23-2021, 07:26 PM
Well that was certainly succinct. If you check the well known firearm auction sight, the last iteration of the 1895 SBL, the one that everyone complained about because it didn't have a JM stamped on the barrel and there for was junk, is routinely fetching 3000.00 and up. I imagine that some people would crab if Ruger gave their product away. Randy is dead right, the price of everything has gone up. FWIW, 1400.00 is a SUGGESTED retail price. When was the last time you saw a gun sell at full retail? If I remember correctly, the Remington manufactured 1895 SBL retailed very close to that, The one I purchased, was just a fuzz under a grand. For me, I'd rather pay more for a "good" gun than a mediocre cheap gun (Think Shiloh Sharps vs an H&R Handi rifle). More money? Damn straight and for good reason. I think it's a minor miracle that Ruger bothered to pick up the pieces of a broken firm and set about making it viable once more and I'm thrilled. I'll certainly entertain a purchase if they market something I desire. The good thing is, we all have choices. I hope everyone has a blessed Merry Christmas.

FergusonTO35
12-23-2021, 07:31 PM
I would pay $1400.00 for a Ruglin 1895 instead of a Winoku 86 with endless light strike problems. I'm a big fan of Miroku guns but it is absurd to pay that much for a firearm and then have to "fix" it with expensive old style parts.

wallacem
12-24-2021, 09:01 PM
After the "new" wears off, that $1400 MSRP will equate to about $1000 selling price in the field. Wallacem

rintinglen
12-26-2021, 09:07 AM
I will never buy a Ruger during the first year of production of a new model. IME, you have virtually a 50-50 shot at getting a bad gun. I don't care what the paid reviews are saying. I'll wait to hear what the buyers say, the ones who have bought a gun off the shelf like I would.

flint45
12-26-2021, 03:15 PM
I for one am looking forward to even more good products from the new Ruger/Marlon how are you want to put it I think they will do a good job and I think the price will come down hopefully I would really love to have a very good quality 94 and 357 magnum.

Outer Rondacker
12-26-2021, 04:34 PM
I for one am looking forward to even more good products from the new Ruger/Marlon how are you want to put it I think they will do a good job and I think the price will come down hopefully I would really love to have a very good quality 94 and 357 magnum.

this makes two of us

FergusonTO35
12-26-2021, 05:38 PM
Me three.

panhed65
12-26-2021, 07:14 PM
My experience with ruger rifles has not been good, so I am hoping to be surprised.
Barry

doulos
12-27-2021, 10:47 AM
My Henry X has exceeded my 1894 Remlin in every way. I'll stick with it for half the price of a new Ruglin.
I have a Henry X in 45-70. It is better than I thought it would be. Trigger pull under 4 lbs. And I have found loads with AA5744 that will print inside of 1.25 inches consistently at 100 meters. Bought it at Dicks Sporting Goods for 869. No its not pretty. But it does what I want it to do so far.

fordwannabe
12-27-2021, 02:42 PM
I am willing to bet a few $ at some point we will see a 1894/Blackhawk combo in the caliber of your choice(with somehow matched serial numbers ) in the not too distant future. THEN I AM IN. As to the price of that 1895, I had a JM 1895 shortened, threaded, converted to takedown, large loop(very similar to the new one), WWG sights, recoil pad and quick detach scope put on it. If I had the new one it would have saved me several hundred dollars in gunsmithing. Not for everyone but in my case this would have been a very good start.

boommer
12-27-2021, 05:30 PM
one bean counting company that run the company into ground, to the next bean counter company that has been cheapning there product over the years and thats the flagship they put out !

murf205
12-27-2021, 06:12 PM
I'm out. A real wood stock would be nice, the over sized lever loop looks stupid, a little larger barrel diameter would be nice and they could skip the stainless steel. Why not a reasonable hunting caliber? Something like a 38-56 or 40-65 would be great. And, there is nothing more stupid that a cross bolt safety on a lever gun. I guess that's why I buy old guns.

That safety is a lawyer button. I actually like the one on my 1895 CB when I am unloading it but that's just me.The lock hole on a S&W revolver runs the Marlin neck and neck as far as stupid, IMHO.

shooting on a shoestring
12-28-2021, 09:10 AM
Two years ago the new Colt Python came out with MSRP $1499. I don’t know anyone who has bought one for that. I see them priced in the brick and mortar gun shops for $2k plus or minus a little and they are moving!

The new Ruger/Marlin with MSRP at $1400 is a decent number for 2022. The question for me is what will the street price be? Will they sell fast for over MSRP like the Pyrhons have for two years?

OverMax
12-28-2021, 06:24 PM
I'd like to have a 22" 45-70 Marlin what for I don't know? Just to have I guess.

freakonaleash
12-29-2021, 10:49 AM
I don't know why they always make these in 45-70. How about something like 40-65 or 38-56. I'd be interested in that gun in a smaller caliber even though it's ugly as sin. Well, skip the stainless steel and stock it in real wood.....maybe I ought to start my own gun business.

rondog
12-29-2021, 11:21 AM
Loving my Rossi's more and more.

veeman
12-29-2021, 11:57 AM
I don't know why they always make these in 45-70. How about something like 40-65 or 38-56. I'd be interested in that gun in a smaller caliber even though it's ugly as sin. Well, skip the stainless steel and stock it in real wood.....maybe I ought to start my own gun business.

Because they are obsolete calibers that are a PITA to get/make components for, 45/70 are easy to load for and get components for. That would be my guess.

freakonaleash
12-29-2021, 04:27 PM
Because they are obsolete calibers that are a PITA to get/make components for, 45/70 are easy to load for and get components for. That would be my guess.

I load for almost all the old winchester rifle cartridges....doesn't everybody? Heck, now Uberti makes guns in 40-60, 45-60, 45-75 and 50-95...talk about obsolete cartridges!:veryconfu

dverna
12-29-2021, 04:53 PM

Thank you!!

The only thing worse than a bean counter running a company would be someone who thinks chambering .38-56 is a good idea.

I hope the Ruglin meets the hype. It will be good to see modern Marlins back on the shelf at affordable prices. Part of me wants them to fail, because then the guns are dead forever, and the three I have will be worth a lot more.

veeman
12-29-2021, 05:00 PM
I load for almost all the old winchester rifle cartridges....doesn't everybody? Heck, now Uberti makes guns in 40-60, 45-60, 45-75 and 50-95...talk about obsolete cartridges!:veryconfu

Right. But not everyone reloads, so its the logical choice to start with the 45/70, because it can be readily available in most shops. I reload for over 20 different calibers, most because I can, others because I have to, (45/75 - 50-95) all because its my hobby and I enjoy doing it. Other than .22s and shotgun, I haven't bought store bought ammo for 35 years.

Cosmic_Charlie
12-30-2021, 04:15 AM
It makes the well used Winchesters I see at the lgs for 5-6 hundred look pretty good.

Lloyd Smale
12-30-2021, 06:00 AM
i about croaked when i paid 650 for a year old guide gun two years ago. Sure as heck not paying 1400 for ANY marlin. As to the poor ones. ive had the from every generation from my old 1955 336adl that dad bought new to this latest one. ive yet to have a bad one in any configuration or caliber. Heck ive yet to actually see one that was bad. All i see is internet experts trying to make it look like there gun savoy by tearing down marlin and remington. Youd think with all these bad guns and as much time as i do shooting id have at least seen one. i agree with others. If it comes to spending over a grand im looking for an 86 or 95 and honestly today would buy those either. I just dont hunt lever gun teritory enough to give up my bolts and being retired i have to justify a new gun if im not trading an old one for it and ive pretty much got all the lever guns i need.

Desertbuck
12-30-2021, 11:25 AM
I bought a Remlin 1895 45/70 CB manufactured in 2018. Just when they were getting the hang of making them. And I have been happy with it. Of course I bought it at a gun shop where I could handle it and thoroughly inspect it. The fit and finish was surprisingly good no machine marks working the lever was extremely smooth. It hasn't given me a single problem other than it shoots a bit on the high side which will be remedied when I get around to taking a file with me to the range. And I paid $800 for it just before the covid crap took off. $1400 for a new Rumlin :holysheep
I'm glad I bought my Remlin CB when I did.

veeman
12-30-2021, 12:49 PM
It hasn't given me a single problem other than it shoots a bit on the high side which will be remedied when I get around to taking a file with me to the range.

You wont fix anything by filing the sight down if its already shooting high, you'll just make it worse. Get a taller sight.

Airborne Falcon
12-30-2021, 01:44 PM
I hope the Ruglin meets the hype. It will be good to see modern Marlins back on the shelf at affordable prices. Part of me wants them to fail, because then the guns are dead forever, and the three I have will be worth a lot more.

I'm with you except the JM stamped Marlins are what they are and they'll never be made again. Ruger missed a great chance to keep the Huntsville factory open and stamp the new rifles with HUNT ... which would have been a great marketing brand.

I do know, because I was one of the ones they called, that they called a lot of collectors and owners, they reached out to certain members of the Marlin Forum, others such as me who had a lot of contact with the old customer service people like Bob Tinari ... they asked us for input. I think, initially they had decided to go with laminated furniture because of durability and availability and price point given what the Walnut is going-for and they'll never put Beech on an 1895.

For some reason, which I have never understood, a lot of the big bore guys the 45-70 and 444 Marlin guys love those laminated stocks and stainless receivers I guess because they are marketed more to the Pacific NW and great white north crowd.

The 30.30 is going to-be an early staple at a more affordable price point, very competive. Everyone forgets how much more expensive Henrys were ... now they'll be more in line price-wise and the Marlin design and engineering will be very hard for Henry to beat head-to-head.

I do like the Henry Long Ranger.

I know I recommended a 35 Remington version and the person who called me pretty much scoffed at that saying a half dozen others will be produced before they seriously consider a 35 Remington. The 30.30, 357/38, 444 Marlin ... I think he implied the 44 Mag ... pretty much anything that can be marketed as straight walled deer cartridges in the Midwestern states.

I know a few of the old club had some really indepth unput and came away with a lot more poop than did I.

I think they're planning a 327 Federal version to complement their revolver ... may happen sooner rather than later. I'm sure that has issues with ammo supply just like they said the 35 Rem does from their perspective.

So later I got a call about my 338 Marlin Express ... an interested buyer. It was the last one out of the old New Haven plant and I've got the provenance to prove that ... it's insane how much I've been offered for this rifle. (I'll try to post pictures if I can find them.) It is, of course, JM stamped. The person that called me had a west Arkansas area code so I assumed he was repping Ruger trying to buy the rifle ... although he dodged that question quite artfully saying his client wished to remain anonymous. He was very matter of fact, take it or leave it, but he kept upping the offers until we got well into four digits ... close to five and I still said thanks but no thanks.

It made me realize how valuable the JM stamped Marlins are going to be down the road, especially rare or low production models. Also, older ones, well kept in orignal configuration and unbubbarized.

Anyways, I could go on and on about Marlins ... the 308 MX and the 338 MX (see below) are probably two of the greatest levergun calibers ever designed but the ammo manufacturers never fully supported either of them, especially Hornady which betrayed Marlin in many ways.

https://i.imgur.com/rJu2c1e.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/nmSHFUY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tISByQD.jpeg

Desertbuck
12-30-2021, 03:40 PM
You wont fix anything by filing the sight down if its already shooting high, you'll just make it worse. Get a taller sight.

Whoops that does make me sound a little bit ignorant doesn't it :confused:
Looked at my pictures again and it shoots low. I did install a Skinner ladder site.
It shot okay with the factory rear sight. But I wanted something that gave more choices for extended ranges. I would essentially have to file off the entire brass bead from the factory site to get it where I want, at least that's my guesstimation. Either way it would probably be an intelligent thing to buy a brass front sight from Skinner and go from there instead of ruin the factory bead site...

sharps4590
12-30-2021, 05:23 PM
I looked at it. Kind of an ugly thing. The price wouldn't bother me if I wanted it but, that ain't gonna happen.

Bigslug
12-30-2021, 06:47 PM
I'm just hoping the guts are compatible with the earlier products so there's no mechanical difficulties when we disregard the lawyer notice in the manual by plugging the cross bolt safety hole and taking the two-piece firing pins out.

Put me firmly in the camp of NOT chambering these things for extinct calibers! Material and labor costs are already putting the MSRP above the "truck gun" market the 336 line was popular with; adding complexity to the line with parts for niche calibers won't help.

The .357 and .44 they're planning for the 1894 can duplicate anything the old rounds could do. If you have a cowboy caliber hang up, buy a Uberti 1873 Winchester copy and the Peacemaker clone to match.

The .45-70 is a bit of a bruiser for deer in a state that requires a straight cartridge, but aside from that legal technicality, it and the .30-30 do the deed. For the straight-case states, coming to some agreement on the right combination of bullet diameter case length, and barrel marking for the .38-55 / .375 Win is about as weird as the 336/1895 line needs to be.

Rick R
12-30-2021, 10:46 PM
Geeze! Guys on the Marlin Owner Forum were complaining about Marlin quality before Marlin folded and Freedon/Cerberus/Remington bought them. That entity laid off the old guys who knew how to use 100 year old equipment to build nice rifles, moved everything to Ilion NY and hilarity ensued until they finally figured it out. Now Ruger has the ball in their court and started out by producing the actual star of the movie Wind River

Remington/Marlin couldn’t make those fast enough to meet demand. If they did a decent job guys will pay $1,400 MSRPish pricing for an 1895SBL.

When Ohio legalized rifles you couldn’t find an 1895 here in WV and guys were selling dad’s old gun for $1,200 easily. The .45/70 rules that niche.

FWIW, My Ruger #1 in .44mag will easily outshoot either .44 1894 I’ve owned. Hopefully Ruger will put a similar barrel on their version of the 1894 and I’ll end up with one.

Airborne Falcon
12-30-2021, 10:55 PM
Geeze! Guys on the Marlin Owner Forum were complaining about GM quality before Marlin folded and Freedon/Cerberus/Remington bought them. That entity laid off the old guys who knew how to use 100 year old equipment to build nice rifles, moved everything to Ilion NY and hilarity ensued until they finally figured it out. Now Ruger has the ball in their court and started out by producing the actual star of the movie Wind River

Remington/Marlin couldn’t make those fast enough to meet demand. If they did a decent job guys will pay $1,400 MSRPish pricing for an 1895SBL.

When Ohio legalized rifles you couldn’t find an 1895 here in WV and guys were selling dad’s old gun for $1,200 easily. The .45/70 rules that niche.

FWIW, My Ruger #1 in .44mag will easily outshoot either .44 1894 I’ve owned. Hopefully Ruger will put a similar barrel on their version of the 1894 and I’ll end up with one.

That's actually true. We had a ton of discontent on the Marlin Forum almost from day one when Remington bought them out and we started hearing from so many of the old timers who were contacting us and letting us know what Remington was doing to the brand and them in the factory ... and their nefarious destructive plans that are now legendaryly (sic) and infamously well-known.

There was a major uproar. Remington basically cut their own throats from a marketing perspective before they ever put their first below standard Remlin out on the market. If I remember correctly they either went to Bass Pro or Cabelas and there was a total meltdown. It was epic. We had to moderate so many posts for bad language that we were on the lookout literally 24/7.

txbirdman
12-30-2021, 11:23 PM
I got one of the last JM 1894’s in .357 and it was a piece of junk. The barrel was screwed into the receiver so crooked that I couldn’t adjust the windage enough to get it to shoot to the receiver sights I put on it. Remington replaced it with a .44 Mag (they weren’t making .357’s at that time. While not perfect the Remlin at least had the barrel screwed in straight. So not all of those old “craftsmen” at Marlin were doing such a great job at the end.

376Steyr
12-31-2021, 12:40 AM
The new production guns have hit Gunbroker and the guys who desperate to have one are bidding well over two grand. I don't think you'll have to worry about paying MSRP for a while!

bisleyfan41
12-31-2021, 04:23 PM
I just don't know. On one hand GB is an amazing resource that helps folks find hard-to-find or obsolete guns. On the other hand, as a national marketplace which allows the super well-healed to suck up limited production items such as this. One of these actually making it to a local shop will be the exception, rather than the rule.

In the past, these guns would go from Ruger, to distributors, to dealers, and then to the customer. Now once they hit the distributor or maybe the dealer, the guns are shot right to GB for top dollar. To hell with the local customer.

I saw this throughout the pandemic with ammo. Distributors and large dealers hocking the ammo they got online, while the shelves in most shops were bare. I know, I know...free market. And I agree 100%. It's just gotten to the point GB is amazing if you're selling. Buying? Not so much.

kenton
12-31-2021, 04:45 PM
It's just gotten to the point GB is amazing if you're selling. Buying? Not so much.

Unless you are the well heeled buyer looking for something rare or hard to get. 50/50

Airborne Falcon
12-31-2021, 06:07 PM
I just don't know. On one hand GB is an amazing resource that helps folks find hard-to-find or obsolete guns. On the other hand, as a national marketplace which allows the super well-healed to suck up limited production items such as this. One of these actually making it to a local shop will be the exception, rather than the rule.

In the past, these guns would go from Ruger, to distributors, to dealers, and then to the customer. Now once they hit the distributor or maybe the dealer, the guns are shot right to GB for top dollar. To hell with the local customer.

I saw this throughout the pandemic with ammo. Distributors and large dealers hocking the ammo they got online, while the shelves in most shops were bare. I know, I know...free market. And I agree 100%. It's just gotten to the point GB is amazing if you're selling. Buying? Not so much.

You're not wrong. Hopefully this will be a wake-up call for us poor, not-well-healed, folk from here on out.

I feel so not-well-heeled rich these days. No debt, all these JM stamped Marlins, tripping over ammo, 200 meter line on my property, steel hanging everywhere in the woods, greatest reloading room under 300 sq feet in the country ... if not the planet. More reloading supplies than Bass Pro and Cabela's combined. Great kids and grandkids. Young pretty green eyed dark-haired long-legged skinny-ankles big-breasted wife. Awesome dogs. Lake full of fish. Woods full of game. Acres around me with no one on them but the birds and bugs and bambies and wabbits .... did I mention my dogs?

I love this not-well-heeled life. Took me decades to get here, just kept my hose down, steadily moving forward in an unwell-heeled life .... and now I get to observe the craziness. And it is crazier than bed bugs out there these days. It's going to be easy peasy pickins when the time comes. All these well-heeled folks with their fancy firearms and castles full of ammo and reloading supplies.

Where is Hatch these days? He still mean and cantankerous? Now there's one well-heeled dude.

Point being ... Gun Broker has left us normal folks behind boys. Auction entities always do ... it's always been that way ... literally forever. Most of us small town country boys never paid much attention to them anyways.

The best deals to be found are in local traders, small town gun shops and viq word of mouth through friends and families. Cultivated contacts and work buddies.

Ruger will habe the market so flooded, in short order, that those well-heeled fellas will be regretting their jumping-of-the-gun(s) ... pardon the pun, and the rhyme.

JHeath
12-31-2021, 08:26 PM
What did a Marlin cost a worker in 1894 and how did the steel quality compare to a new one? For that matter, how did the *tolerances* compare to a new one? Especially the barrel tolerances.

If you make $35/hr, the new Marlger costs one week's gross. And we're complaining?

I patented a mechanically complex CNC-machined product. Modern manufacture is a miracle. To start a new assembly line, new engineered drawings, new machines, new fixtures, source material vendors, train new employees, lease a facility, warehouse, pay for marketing, pay for shipping, pay for business insurance, carry an employee health plan, then sell a higher-quality Marlin than possibly was ever made, is something we should admire.

john.k
12-31-2021, 08:46 PM
Ive got a so called JM 45/70 from the 70s.,I bought new ........I have never liked it ,as for the quality,tell that to the assembler who left a series of dents in the barrel hammering in the sights.........or the amateurish stripes left in the action by the belt sander .....which I add ,only finished the flat sides,the rest left sandblasted matte.........on top of which ,the large gaps around the bolt opening.........I bought the rifle mail order ,so couldnt look at it before I got it.......A post 64 Winchester 94 was finished a million times better ,even if the blue wasnt real durable.

BRobertson
12-31-2021, 11:27 PM
You're not wrong. Hopefully this will be a wake-up call for us poor, not-well-healed, folk from here on out.

I feel so not-well-heeled rich these days. No debt, all these JM stamped Marlins, tripping over ammo, 200 meter line on my property, steel hanging everywhere in the woods, greatest reloading room under 300 sq feet in the country ... if not the planet. More reloading supplies than Bass Pro and Cabela's combined. Great kids and grandkids. Young pretty green eyed dark-haired long-legged skinny-ankles big-breasted wife. Awesome dogs. Lake full of fish. Woods full of game. Acres around me with no one on them but the birds and bugs and bambies and wabbits .... did I mention my dogs?

I love this not-well-heeled life. Took me decades to get here, just kept my hose down, steadily moving forward in an unwell-heeled life .... and now I get to observe the craziness. And it is crazier than bed bugs out there these days. It's going to be easy peasy pickins when the time comes. All these well-heeled folks with their fancy firearms and castles full of ammo and reloading supplies.

Where is Hatch these days? He still mean and cantankerous? Now there's one well-heeled dude.

Point being ... Gun Broker has left us normal folks behind boys. Auction entities always do ... it's always been that way ... literally forever. Most of us small town country boys never paid much attention to them anyways.

The best deals to be found are in local traders, small town gun shops and viq word of mouth through friends and families. Cultivated contacts and work buddies.

Ruger will habe the market so flooded, in short order, that those well-heeled fellas will be regretting their jumping-of-the-gun(s) ... pardon the pun, and the rhyme.

I only have one comment/ question!!??

Does your wife have a twin sister who is single!!??

beechbum444
12-31-2021, 11:54 PM
Question, is the MSRP of $1400 of the new 1895 Ruger made Marlins going to make the price of the not so great Remlins go up or down??? My fear is that its going to make the prices rise................penny for your thoughts..........

Idaho45guy
01-01-2022, 02:48 AM
I'm with you except the JM stamped Marlins are what they are and they'll never be made again. Ruger missed a great chance to keep the Huntsville factory open and stamp the new rifles with HUNT ... which would have been a great marketing brand.

I do know, because I was one of the ones they called, that they called a lot of collectors and owners, they reached out to certain members of the Marlin Forum, others such as me who had a lot of contact with the old customer service people like Bob Tinari ... they asked us for input. I think, initially they had decided to go with laminated furniture because of durability and availability and price point given what the Walnut is going-for and they'll never put Beech on an 1895.

For some reason, which I have never understood, a lot of the big bore guys the 45-70 and 444 Marlin guys love those laminated stocks and stainless receivers I guess because they are marketed more to the Pacific NW and great white north crowd.

The 30.30 is going to-be an early staple at a more affordable price point, very competive. Everyone forgets how much more expensive Henrys were ... now they'll be more in line price-wise and the Marlin design and engineering will be very hard for Henry to beat head-to-head.

I do like the Henry Long Ranger.

I know I recommended a 35 Remington version and the person who called me pretty much scoffed at that saying a half dozen others will be produced before they seriously consider a 35 Remington. The 30.30, 357/38, 444 Marlin ... I think he implied the 44 Mag ... pretty much anything that can be marketed as straight walled deer cartridges in the Midwestern states.

I know a few of the old club had some really indepth unput and came away with a lot more poop than did I.

I think they're planning a 327 Federal version to complement their revolver ... may happen sooner rather than later. I'm sure that has issues with ammo supply just like they said the 35 Rem does from their perspective.

So later I got a call about my 338 Marlin Express ... an interested buyer. It was the last one out of the old New Haven plant and I've got the provenance to prove that ... it's insane how much I've been offered for this rifle. (I'll try to post pictures if I can find them.) It is, of course, JM stamped. The person that called me had a west Arkansas area code so I assumed he was repping Ruger trying to buy the rifle ... although he dodged that question quite artfully saying his client wished to remain anonymous. He was very matter of fact, take it or leave it, but he kept upping the offers until we got well into four digits ... close to five and I still said thanks but no thanks.

It made me realize how valuable the JM stamped Marlins are going to be down the road, especially rare or low production models. Also, older ones, well kept in orignal configuration and unbubbarized.

Anyways, I could go on and on about Marlins ... the 308 MX and the 338 MX (see below) are probably two of the greatest levergun calibers ever designed but the ammo manufacturers never fully supported either of them, especially Hornady which betrayed Marlin in many ways.

https://i.imgur.com/rJu2c1e.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/nmSHFUY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tISByQD.jpeg

Great post with some fascinating observations! Thank you for taking the time to write it!

waylonrocks
01-01-2022, 08:22 AM
I think Ruger made a very savvy decision in taking over the Marlin line. The crazy demand for guns over the past couple of years has accelerated purchases to a point that you have to wonder what the companies can do with their product lines going forward. In the case of Ruger, instead of methodically selling a profitable number of Ruger American bolt actions each year and adding an occasional new chambering or stock/finish style to generate interest, they have probably been able to sell 5 years worth of these guns in a relatively short time. In essence, everyone that wanted a Ruger American will soon have one, if they already don't. Lack of ammo/reloading components for unpopular cartridges will nullify adding a wider list of chamberings, so what can they do to generate sales? With the Marlin line, Ruger has a whole new outlet for product offerings to build brand loyalty.

17nut
01-01-2022, 04:56 PM

John Wayne or some other 1950-1960's western star famed the big loop lever.

Was never featured on any Winchester before 1950 and i do believe the same for Marlin.
But please prove me wrong by adding original adds or catalogue pages!

The winter stalkers of past was good enough that they had time to remove their glove to shoot.
Its the weekend "hunters" of today that only hunt for sports, that need big scopes, way big cartridges and all the help they can get from other accessories.

The 30-30 and a simpe hunter has bagged more big game than you know!

Andy45
01-01-2022, 11:14 PM
I do not expect I'll have any reservations buying a Ruglin once the market demand has been met and the prices settle down. I expect they'll be the best built and most accurate ones of all.
No love for Henry's offerings here!

Tazman1602
01-01-2022, 11:29 PM
Good to see. But at $1400, I think I'll pass...

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/marlin-1895-sbl-rifle-review/

I would_not pass but I can’t find one to save my booty!

Art

PS can’t wait!

crackers
01-03-2022, 07:28 PM
They could sell them for $750 by eliminating 2/3 of that railroad on top.

Texas by God
01-03-2022, 09:33 PM
I would be happy if they offered the 336T straight grip configuration with birch stocks(or synthetic)and bead blast finish. For pickup, atv, or tractor use( no worries about that walnut and polished blue).
In 30-30, of course.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

rockshooter
01-03-2022, 09:55 PM
"They could sell them for $750 by eliminating 2/3 of that railroad on top."
agreed! it looks like they're just screwed on
Loren

Four-Sixty
01-07-2022, 10:31 PM
Someone in Ruger's marketing department has to be following this thread.

Please, please produce the 336 in 35 Remington!

outdoorfan
01-15-2022, 01:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpxriCVhciA&t=793s

Idaho45guy
01-16-2022, 03:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpxriCVhciA&t=793s

Great video! Hard to believe that there are people out there that think the Remlins were good rifles and just as good as the JM Marlins. Probably Biden voters...

Cosmic_Charlie
01-16-2022, 07:51 AM
I remember when the lgs were full of cheap, used leverguns. Boy, those days are long gone. At some point though, thousands of gun enthusiasts will pass away and the market will be flooded with used treasures. There are a couple gunshows i like to get to out in the hinterlands where you are likely to find some estate firearms before they get to a shop or on gunbroker.

farmbif
01-16-2022, 12:02 PM
I dont think ruger is going to let any junk get boxed up off the factory floor. looking at the current catalog the only lever action they are offering is the 1895 in 45-70.
I dont think they will be bringing the 39a or the 56 or 57m back into production any time soon. they will probably stick to the most sought after stuff like the 1894 in 357 and 44 and the 336 in 30-30. I guess because I'm an old phart I still dont understand the huge desire folks have for the 45-70 unless your brown bear hunting in the north. maybe I guess the jurrasic park movie has something to do with it and folks that watch a screen all day, day dreaming think dinosaurs or zombies are something they need protection from. and many young people today dont quite understand the actual effect even a 30-30 load has on flesh and bone at 100 yards.
well I do understand that states with crazy laws like straight wall cartridge only hunting is a limiting factor and if you get to go out and hunt you dont want that trophy buck getting away. might as well be sure as sure can be and smash it with at least 325 grains of lead as fast as you can get it going. ok there's my 45-70 rant.
when I was a kid our dream was to get a winchester 70 or a Remington 700 in 270 win because of all the great stories in the gun and hunting magazines of the era.

Idaho45guy
01-16-2022, 05:18 PM
I dont think ruger is going to let any junk get boxed up off the factory floor. looking at the current catalog the only lever action they are offering is the 1895 in 45-70.
I dont think they will be bringing the 39a or the 56 or 57m back into production any time soon. they will probably stick to the most sought after stuff like the 1894 in 357 and 44 and the 336 in 30-30. I guess because I'm an old phart I still dont understand the huge desire folks have for the 45-70 unless your brown bear hunting in the north. maybe I guess the jurrasic park movie has something to do with it and folks that watch a screen all day, day dreaming think dinosaurs or zombies are something they need protection from. and many young people today dont quite understand the actual effect even a 30-30 load has on flesh and bone at 100 yards.
well I do understand that states with crazy laws like straight wall cartridge only hunting is a limiting factor and if you get to go out and hunt you dont want that trophy buck getting away. might as well be sure as sure can be and smash it with at least 325 grains of lead as fast as you can get it going. ok there's my 45-70 rant.
when I was a kid our dream was to get a winchester 70 or a Remington 700 in 270 win because of all the great stories in the gun and hunting magazines of the era.

My brother's 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70 is the most unpleasant firearm I've ever shot. That was with the Hornady leverevolution 325 grain FTX load.

dkf
01-16-2022, 06:03 PM
I remember when the lgs were full of cheap, used leverguns. Boy, those days are long gone. At some point though, thousands of gun enthusiasts will pass away and the market will be flooded with used treasures. There are a couple gunshows i like to get to out in the hinterlands where you are likely to find some estate firearms before they get to a shop or on gunbroker.

Same here. I like leverguns but for over a grand there are so many more guns I can have for the same price or less than and I'll have more fun with them and they will be more accurate too. I will be picking up a Rossi. The action job I did on my dads R92 really made the gun a sweetheart.

Outer Rondacker
01-16-2022, 06:24 PM
I had interest in getting into cowboy shooting this year. SASS. Honestly I could buy a bass boat for the price of the four guns I need to shoot.

I really enjoy levers more then most when it comes to rifles. I have not seen one for sale in a LGS in the past year.

flatnose
01-16-2022, 09:23 PM
Sadly I guess this what the new generation wants. I absolutely do not want a threaded barrel or that junk rail on top and hate plywood stocks. I am extremely sick of the word tactical being used on everything. I would not pay 1400 for a basket full of these. Ruger please sell to Browning so these can be made by Miruko. Can you imagine how fine cowboy marlins would be if made in Japan. My god i cant believe i said that but it is true.

Yes you can bet the 39 is gone forever.

Idaho45guy
01-16-2022, 10:49 PM
Sadly I guess this what the new generation wants. I absolutely do not want a threaded barrel or that junk rail on top and hate plywood stocks. I am extremely sick of the word tactical being used on everything. I would not pay 1400 for a basket full of these. Ruger please sell to Browning so these can be made by Miruko. Can you imagine how fine cowboy marlins would be if made in Japan. My god i cant believe i said that but it is true.

I had a beautiful JM 1894 Marlin...

It was just too nice to go busting brush with it. Plus, I wanted a carbine for the Jeep and UTV and for around the campfire at night in wolf country. So I sold the JM for $1000 and bought a Henry Black rifle.

I don't need or want a threaded barrel, but I actually HAD to have a mount for a flashlight, and the rail made mounting the red dot super easy, while still allowing me to co-witness with the fiber optic sights.

It's a working gun, and it is perfect. For me.

I viewed using an immaculate JM Marlin as a Jeeping/camping/hiking carbine as the equivalent of using a beautiful and original `55 F100 to haul garbage to the dump with. Doesn't make sense

outdoorfan
01-17-2022, 12:56 AM
I had a beautiful JM 1894 Marlin...

It was just too nice to go busting brush with it. Plus, I wanted a carbine for the Jeep and UTV and for around the campfire at night in wolf country. So I sold the JM for $1000 and bought a Henry Black rifle.

I don't need or want a threaded barrel, but I actually HAD to have a mount for a flashlight, and the rail made mounting the red dot super easy, while still allowing me to co-witness with the fiber optic sights.

It's a working gun, and it is perfect. For me.

I viewed using an immaculate JM Marlin as a Jeeping/camping/hiking carbine as the equivalent of using a beautiful and original `55 F100 to haul garbage to the dump with. Doesn't make sense

Now that's a nice setup with your Henry!

Outer Rondacker
01-17-2022, 07:35 AM

I can tell you at the moment they are not. For years I have worked with them and its all about the next trendy caliber. You want a new 35 Rem make a Hollywood film featuring one.

When we spoke last week I was not happy with the outcome of the phone call.

FergusonTO35
01-17-2022, 12:24 PM

At my side job shop, tacticool stuff is not selling well at all. The "braced pistols" especially, absolutely nobody cares about them. We do get a steady stream of people coming in to ask about bolt action hunting rifles in .270 and .30'06, and every wood stocked pump shotgun that shows up sells fast.

Idaho45guy
01-17-2022, 05:19 PM
At my side job shop, tacticool stuff is not selling well at all. The "braced pistols" especially, absolutely nobody cares about them. We do get a steady stream of people coming in to ask about bolt action hunting rifles in .270 and .30'06, and every wood stocked pump shotgun that shows up sells fast.

My local shop has dozens of hunting rifles in about 4-5 calibers. Number one is 6.5 Creedmoor. Second is 6.5 PRC. I haven't seen a wood-stocked bolt action rifle on the shelf in a long time. Finding a rifle in .30-06 or .270 is nearly impossible.

dverna
01-17-2022, 06:59 PM

Fortunately, they are too smart to do that. I know it is a cast shooters darling but what a commercial flop it would be. Ammo difficult to get, and cases not easy to find.

We want them to succeed don’t we?

alamogunr
01-17-2022, 10:42 PM
I don't really have anything meaningful to add to this discussion. I've gone thru my lever action period and ended up with two Marlins, one of which has the most figured wood stock I've ever seen. The other was a Marlin 30AW(Montgomery Ward, I think) that I gave to my older son. The others are Browning/Miroku 71, just because and Browning/Miroku 1895 in .30-40 Krag for the same reason.

I wish Ruger good fortune in the efforts to bring Marlin back to prominence but I'm too old to think about another lever action rifle.

Oh! I forgot about the Browning 92 in .44 Mag and Rossi .357 and Win. 94,.30-30 Love to play with them.

Cosmic_Charlie
01-18-2022, 01:28 PM
My brother's 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70 is the most unpleasant firearm I've ever shot. That was with the Hornady leverevolution 325 grain FTX load.

I had one many years ago and found it unpleasant to shoot and sold it. Iirc, it had a hard rubber pad that was good at protecting the stock. Was not a caster back then so I did not appreciate the value of milder loads.

smkummer
01-18-2022, 07:59 PM
I had one many years ago and found it unpleasant to shoot and sold it. Iirc, it had a hard rubber pad that was good at protecting the stock. Was not a caster back then so I did not appreciate the value of milder loads.

A buddy of mine did the same thing with the same gun/ammo and sold the gun fast. I am shooting trapdoor loads in my 1895SS 22” and it’s a good comfortable combination, of which I love the gun.

GregLaROCHE
01-19-2022, 05:45 AM
Here’s a link to a video of the new Marlin, if you haven’t already seen it.

https://youtu.be/lpxriCVhciA

Cosmic_Charlie
02-01-2022, 10:57 PM
It really does look like a quality piece. Should have a hammer forged barrel too. And the back up sights are a nice touch. The rail is just in keeping with the optics trends out there. I'll bet they turn out to be really nice rifles. Ruger would not want to travel Remington's path.
Then again, this one looks pretty nice too;
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/923459570

Cosmic_Charlie
02-02-2022, 01:17 PM
Now that's a nice setup with your Henry!

I like that! Would put down trouble right now.

boommer
02-11-2022, 12:33 PM
Hurry up guys! 1 Ruglin on GI only 2895.00 you can be one of the first !