PDA

View Full Version : Reloading bench plans????????

catkiller45
01-16-2009, 04:01 PM
I will be getting set up in a couple of weeks,I hope..I am looking for some plans to build a small loading bench for my apartment if possible...Thought some one might know of a web sight or something to help me out here..Aslo thought of a small bench from Craftsman or whoever....But the ones I looked at all seemed to have a cheap top on them...But, I suppose I could always put another layer on top of it...So long around and see what we can come up with...Thanks....John:coffeecom

Matt_G
01-16-2009, 04:12 PM
http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/bench_plans.pdf
I'm sure you could "adjust" those plans as necessary to fit your needs.

In case you haven't seen this thread:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=12392

I'm sure you could get some ideas from there.
Just a couple of thoughts.

HangFireW8
01-16-2009, 04:23 PM
I will be getting set up in a couple of weeks,I hope..I am looking for some plans to build a small loading bench for my apartment if possible...

My bench plans have always been constrained by the size and shape of whatever free surface I was using.

I have had some luck getting scratch-n-dent kitchen countertops from Ikea in the past.

I used to reload in an apartment. There are constraints. Besides fire codes, you have to be aware that your apartment might be visited at any time by curious, handy service personnel. HVAC filter changes, checking for mystery water usage, wrong apartment, they are in their a LOT more than you realize. I got a 2-bedroom, really 1 bedroom + small utility room, and locked everything in the second room which had no circuit breakers, plumbing or access panels. In other words, they had to break in, and then I would have cause for criminal complaint- instead of wondering, and saying "I wonder where my X/Y/Z went... " I still lost things, permanently, but not from that room.

Back then, my bench was 2.5' by 5', 2.5" thick tabletop with 4x4 legs and a shelf underneath. You can double-up unwarped 2x4's instead of 4x4's. Treated 2x4's are ugly, warp a lot and do not meet fire code for indoor use. Treated 4x4's are the same, untreated are hard to find. My current benches are much bigger. All my presses, measures, etc., then and now, are mounted on 2x6" and are affixed to the bench by two large C clamps each.

There is no one right way to do it. Some folks go crazy on the woodworking and make a piece of furniture. That is a worthy goal in itself, but I'd rather get more reloading done. If you accumulate 40 sets of dies, a cubby system will pay for itself in saved time.

-HF

snuffy
01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Here's an extremely long thread over on THR.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=218720

There has got to be something on that you can use.

I don't use any "plans". I just look at the space, start measuring and build to fit. All you're doing is constructing a box with only one side closed,(the top).

lunicy
01-16-2009, 06:17 PM
I got a door an 2 cabinets I found.

docone31
01-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Thats the thing.
If you can get something free, all the better.
I made mine from Home Depot. They make a kit work bench. 75$ All you need is screws and glue.
I liked mine, as it was real solid.
Sometimes, I lean on it when I am sizing, or reloading. On the smaller "professional" benches, it starts to tip. The kit bench, I have not had that issue and it is just about the same size.
I like to mount my "gear" on the corners where the legs are. I do not like wobble in a bench. Just my way.
The last one that I had that way, I had a large vise on one corner, and the press on the other.
Lots of room underneath for storage of heavy stuff, and a shelf can be made for over it.
A good stout table. Heavy, solid, and the right height to work with.

jdgabbard
01-16-2009, 06:47 PM
here is another thread to check out. This is what I ended up going with for my apartment. However, I have a full size bench at my cabin.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=36422

schutzen
01-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Check out Sam's Club. They have a roll around restaurant work table with a 2" thick 24" wide X 96" long laminated maple top. It is a little pricy at $200, but I believe it would make a great reloading bench that can be knocked-down and moved.

missionary5155
01-17-2009, 06:23 AM
Good morning
Having built several over the years... The last one was tall enough that I can stand comfortable at it and work my presses. I am 5-9 and still shrinking (58) My body comfort becomes more important as the years go along. So consider hieght before you commit.
God Bless you !

joeb33050
01-17-2009, 08:54 AM
I live in a condo.
A press is bolted to a big piece of angle iron, the iron is bolted to the concrete wall. In the utility room. All the rest of the reloading is done on the "kitchen" table. Bullets are cast on the porch.
joe b.

catkiller45
01-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks for all the ideas..I do know that what ever I do make it is going to have locking doors on it...That is to one of the bad things about getting older and moving into one of them apartments..BUT IT Is BETTER than being out in the cold...[/B]I don/t understand why in hell some people get so freaking pare -o-noid........Some people are just plane stupid......John

Junior1942
01-17-2009, 11:46 AM
I'd go with a Lee hand press. They work like a charm.

http://www.leeprecision.com/graphics/shoppingcart/handprss.jpg

crabo
01-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Here's my B&D Workmate. I have a lot of room in the garage, but I like to load in the house. 2 Square Deals, (one large primer and one small primer), a Star lubrisizer, and a Lee Classic Turret press. I just spin the table around for whatever tool I need to use. There is plenty of room for scales, boolits and cases. I also keep a pen and post-it notes on the top. I always write the powder on a post-it note, and fold over the glue, and drop it in the powder tube. It only takes once to dump the powder in the wrong bottle to learn that lesson.

The tray down below holds tools, primer tubes, GCs, and other misc. stuff. This has a small footprint and holds a lot of gear.

I use a bar stool and set a cookie sheet with a towel under the Star to catch the boolits as I size them. I dump some unsized in one end, then catch the sized on the other end. It keeps everything easy to get to. Economy of motion in action.

catkiller45
01-17-2009, 03:04 PM
crabo
Boolit Master I love it man....I really do....Damn it's beautiful.....Thats what I am gonna do.....Just wonder...excellent...I can't say enough......John

dhain
01-18-2009, 12:23 AM
I have one of the Sam's club workbenches that schutzen mentioned. I don't use it as my reloading bench but it would work well if you decided to go that route.