PDA

View Full Version : Need a new scale made in USA

justindad
12-20-2021, 02:48 AM
I think the made in USA part limits me to Hornady and Redding… both have comments of repeatability and zeroing issues. The Hornady pan is plastic, making me think static electricity will cause powder to stick. The Redding pan looks tippy & unstable. Is there a good quality, American made scale that can be purchased new?

ReloaderFred
12-20-2021, 02:50 AM
I have two scales with plastic pans, which are made of non-static plastic. I have no issues at all with powder sticking to either of them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

David2011
12-20-2021, 05:16 AM
Even in the dry air in New Mexico I had zero static issues with a Hornady plastic powder pan.

zarrinvz24
12-20-2021, 05:46 AM
I have the Redding scale, I wouldn’t call it tippy, just requires a little bit of attention to put the pan in the right spot. I have no issues with zero. You can also look for a user older Lyman, Pacific, or RCBS.

jmorris
12-20-2021, 10:30 AM
I use the Lyman plastic pans quite a bit, the built in funnel is a great feature if you are charging cases from trickled charges.

I wouldn’t worry about plastic, in and of itself. In any case you could always get an aluminum pan and add/remove weight from the pan hanger to rezero with pan.

jonp
12-20-2021, 10:32 AM
Just keep a dryer sheet handy. I leave one in my Hornady electric thrower and wipe the funnel out before using and no static

Froogal
12-20-2021, 11:02 AM
I've never had any issue of any kind with my LEE.

iflyskyhigh
12-20-2021, 11:20 AM
You mean a balance beam scale?

Most of them are made by Ohaus. I know the Dillon one for sure is. I’m guessing most of the other major manufacturers balance beam scales are as well.

Dillon has a metal pan. Nice and big too.

I’m in AZ and use plastic and metal pans and haven’t had any issues with static.

Sixgun Symphony
12-23-2021, 06:00 PM
Give CH/4d a call at 740-397-7214; Monday - Friday; 10am - 6pm EST.

Acorn
01-16-2022, 10:24 AM
I just bought a new Ohaus 505 of Amazon.
It is made in China. Just FYI.

farmbif
01-16-2022, 10:41 AM
my experience with products from Redding is very good, seems everything they sell is top notch and as far as I know made in the good ole USofA. a scale that is not abused will last a lifetime. if you can find an old Lyman M5 you probably won't want for anything else. the one I have is probably at least 50 years old, super accurate and very sensitive. there used to be a very skilled individual that frequents the accurate shooter web site and he reconditions and tweeks old beam powder scales.
one scale I'm still on the lookout for is an old ohaus dial-o-grain, but finding one at a reasonable price is the trick.

Driz
01-16-2022, 11:31 AM
my experience with products from Redding is very good, seems everything they sell is top notch and as far as I know made in the good ole USofA. a scale that is not abused will last a lifetime. if you can find an old Lyman M5 you probably won't want for anything else. the one I have is probably at least 50 years old, super accurate and very sensitive. there used to be a very skilled individual that frequents the accurate shooter web site and he reconditions and tweeks old beam powder scales.
one scale I'm still on the lookout for is an old ohaus dial-o-grain, but finding one at a reasonable price is the trick.

I’ve still got mine from 1982. They’re out there on Flebay if you look. The big issue is when the little sticker that shows the tenths falls off and gets lost. I had to mark mine by eye with a paint pen as it wandered away in storage. Good nuff I guess

hc18flyer
01-16-2022, 12:15 PM
I picked up a Lyman M5 at a local Gun Show for $25 and sent it off to 'Scott' in CA to have it 'tuned'. I found him on Facebook, took a few months to get back, he has a very good reputation. I tried and liked the speed of a couple of small electronics, but they started to get 'funky'. I would like to get another, if they fit my price range and were more dependable?

Livin_cincy
01-16-2022, 02:14 PM
I prefer the (3) poise Dillon scale over the (2) poise of the others.

I would not say it is better. I just like using (3) to check the weight. It makes logical sense.

Plenty of YouTube videos on the Dillon scale to see how (3) poise work.

I think Highboy76 has videos on many brands.

beemer
01-17-2022, 02:52 PM
I prefer the (3) poise Dillon scale over the (2) poise of the others.

I would not say it is better. I just like using (3) to check the weight. It makes logical sense.

Plenty of YouTube videos on the Dillon scale to see how (3) poise work.

I think Highboy76 has videos on many brands.

I also prefer the 3 poise scales. They are easier for me to read and set up. I have a RCBS 502, Lyman M5, an Ohaus 3100 Dial-O-Grain and several older Hornady M scales. The Hornady's are the ones I keep going back to. I still have the Pacific O scales I bought in 1971. They were one of the last two to the factory. Still work great, just don't to deal with the oil.

I have picked up a few at estate sales and flea markets over the years but here lately they are few and far between and they want new prices. Maybe someone here has a nice set they would part with.

I don't know where all the new ones are made but the Redding is the one that I would check first.

ukrifleman
01-19-2022, 02:05 PM
My beam scale of choice is a Redding No.2.
Once zeroed, I set the charge weight with a set of RCBS check weights and it is on the money every time.
ukrifleman