PDA

View Full Version : My reloading bench has been commandeered!

poppy42
12-20-2021, 12:12 AM
A little explanation is in order. My wife and I live in a one bedroom apartment. No garage, no extra space. My living room is my reloading room, well at for 351 days a year. Well the boss informed me that there will be no reloading for the next two weeks!
This is what my reloading bench typically look like most of the year.293336

This is what it looks like for the next couple weeks.

ryanmattes
12-20-2021, 12:16 AM
That seems a reasonable compromise.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

imashooter2
12-20-2021, 12:29 AM
In a one bedroom apartment you are granted a fixed table for reloading? My friend, you have a real keeper there! Most would be lucky to have a closet allocated.

poppy42
12-20-2021, 01:05 AM
That seems a reasonable compromise.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
Especially since I get to eat half the cookies!

poppy42
12-20-2021, 01:07 AM
In a one bedroom apartment you are granted a fixed table for reloading? My friend, you have a real keeper there! Most would be lucky to have a closet allocated.

That my friend would be an extreme understatement!! 40 years and counting! And like I say I always get the last words in at my house they just happen to be yes dear and I’m sorry!

Scrounge
12-20-2021, 01:30 AM
That my friend would be an extreme understatement!! 40 years and counting! And like I say I always get the last words in at my house they just happen to be yes dear and I’m sorry!

I resemble that. I wear the pants around here. She tells me which pair to wear, and what day to wear them. ;)

She does have this strange notion that maybe I have enough guns, though. I'm thinking maybe 20 or 30 more...

Do you think you could find room for a rolling cart about the same size as your temporarily confiscated table? Something with legs that could lift the wheels clear of the floor when you need it not to move?

Bill

skeettx
12-20-2021, 01:42 AM
Great transition for the short while
She is a keeper

Mike

Three44s
12-20-2021, 01:50 AM
Small price to pay for “Peace On Earth”!

Merry Christmas

Three44s

QuackAttack24
12-20-2021, 02:53 AM
Small price to pay for “Peace On Earth”!

Merry Christmas

Three44s
ROTFLOL. Where is the like button?

contender1
12-20-2021, 07:33 AM
All excellent posts above. Your wife accepts your hobby & as such,, the occasional deviation from the norm is a good thing. Working together is what makes a great relationship.

Now,, on a side note,, back in the 1970's when I was space challenged,, I had to make do without a permanent place to handload. As such,, I built a reloading bench that was capable of being taken apart,, and stored easily. It's nowhere near what I have NOW,, but it sure worked back then. Maybe if it's necessary,, you look at the idea of having a bench you can fold down, or disassemble a bit to allow both of y'all more space.

Isaac
12-20-2021, 09:48 AM
And... she let you keep your charts on the wall! This is a man who has found the key to a successful marriage!

Isaac

Thumbcocker
12-20-2021, 10:50 AM
I knew Mrs.Thumbcocker was a keeper when she let me clamp my Dillon 550 on the breakfast bar at her apartment.

CastingFool
12-20-2021, 11:40 AM
Back in 1980, or 1981, when I started reloading shotgun shells, I used the top of our dryer as my reloading bench. Had my Mec 700 mounted on a nice piece of plywood, put rubber feet on it to keep it from sliding.

lightman
12-20-2021, 12:34 PM
You do what you gotta do! It sounds like you are responding to a reasonable request. I have a bushel tub of range brass waiting to be sorted and tumbled but I have been banned from the kitchen until after the holidays!

poppy42
12-20-2021, 12:55 PM
And... she let you keep you charts on the wall! This is the man who knows has found the key to a successful marriage!

Isaac

I was waiting to see long it took someone to notice the bullet charts! Lol

Baltimoreed
12-20-2021, 12:58 PM
Hopefully you loaded ahead for the shutdown. Happy wife-happy life.

robg
12-20-2021, 01:09 PM
seems fair

Rapier
12-20-2021, 01:46 PM
When we decided to retire, I always figured just falling over on my desk, we bought a tree farm that had set for 30 years. The builds went like this: Clear 1 mile of fence line, make 250 yard rifle range out of an old log loading area, build a barn, build a shop, then build a new house. The best laid plan got a little skewed when I got a call one day, you interested in talking about selling the business…..30 days later I was out of business. But 2 weeks in, we put the house up, it sold in 3 days, how soon can you be out…..Just luckily, when I was building the shop I decided to add 200 more feet. We lived in my reloading room for a year and a half while the house was being built, true story.
This is the reloading room with the beds, etc out.

Dieselhorses
12-20-2021, 02:01 PM
Oh do I know the feeling. If my wife sees as much as a reloading catalog or a new die set on the kitchen table it's like "You gonna find a home for this?"

gwpercle
12-20-2021, 03:00 PM
For only two weeks and in exchange you get to eat home made cookies ... That's More Than Fair !
Gary

Tweetyj
12-20-2021, 09:39 PM
[url]http://www.tacticoolproducts.com/bench/

poppy42
12-20-2021, 10:52 PM
I resemble that. I wear the pants around here. She tells me which pair to wear, and what day to wear them. ;)

She does have this strange notion that maybe I have enough guns, though. I'm thinking maybe 20 or 30 more...

Do you think you could find room for a rolling cart about the same size as your temporarily confiscated table? Something with legs that could lift the wheels clear of the floor when you need it not to move?

Bill
See Bill, that’s the difference between me and you. All my kids are long since grown. I don’t have to wear pants! Although the wife reminds my to put em on when ever I leave the house! LOL
Seriously my reloading bench was designed and built by yours truly. The top has a series of hole drilled in it with t-nut so that all my equipment bolts to it with knurled thumb screws. It has shelves for storage like a cabinet with doors. With everything stored away, it doubles as a table top. As for rolling carts, yeh I already have three of them. There full of presses, lube sizers, powder measure, bench top primers, case trimmers, dies, scales, molds lead pots, ......, and on and on and on.... well you get the idea! Ya see guy’s I’m not complaining it’s more like I’m bragging! Like I said 351 days of the year my wife lets me have my corner of the living room. 14 day she uses my reloading bench as a staging area for my own private cookie factory! More than worth it as far as I’m concerned! Especially since I get to eat all the cookies I could possibly want! Eat your heart out guys!!!!! Oh and Bill should you doubt my wife’s skills as a confectioner, ask your brother. He can attest to her abilities!

BrassMagnet
12-20-2021, 10:57 PM
See Bill, that’s the difference between me and you. All my kids are long since grown. I don’t have to wear pants! Although the wife reminds my to put em on when ever I leave the house! LOL
Seriously my reloading bench was designed and built by yours truly. The top has a series of hole drilled in it with t-nut so that all my equipment bolts to it with knurled thumb screws. It has shelves for storage like a cabinet with doors. With everything stored away, it doubles as a table top. As for rolling carts, yeh I already have three of them. There full of presses, lube sizers, powder measure, bench top primers, case trimmers, dies, scales, molds lead pots, ......, and on and on and on.... well you get the idea! Ya see guy’s I’m not complaining it’s more like I’m bragging! Like I said 351 days of the year my wife lets me have my corner of the living room. 14 day she uses my reloading bench as a staging area for my own private cookie factory! More than worth it as far as I’m concerned! Especially since I get to eat all the cookies I could possibly want! Eat your heart out guys!!!!! Oh and Bill should you doubt my wife’s skills as a confectioner, ask your brother. He can attest to her abilities!

Yepper!!!
My memory is fading though!!!
Some cookies would sure help!!!
Maybe a little Crumb Cake!!!

contender1
12-20-2021, 11:01 PM
Since you are into bragging on how good your wife is about your reloading set-up,, I'll throw in my wonderful better half's attitude. She once told me; "No more safe's, we'll just buy a safe door to put on the room. Well, she went a bit further,, & built me my own man-cave space,, to make sure I had all the space I needed for my gun stuff, and loading.
BTW; She's also the secretary of the local chapter of FoNRA, State grant fund committee secretary, formerly one of the NRA "Top 10 lady instructors for the Women On Target program," runs the bookwork for my range's USPSA matches, has taught a few thousand ladies to shoot over the past 20 years, has her own gun collection, which includes a gun given to her from the NRA, and can hold her own in most firearm discussions.
And lastly,, she will clean MY guns after a range session if I use Hoppe's #9. All I have to do is disassemble them & re-assemble them. (She does her guns first.)

Baltimoreed
12-20-2021, 11:34 PM
My first dedicated reloading ‘bench’ [area] was some shelving on the narrow wall of our walk in pantry with a RCBS Rock Chucker bolted to it. Eventually became a Lyman T-2 turret press. Now I’m in a 10x12 room with a big bench, windows, 6 presses, my gunsafe and everything. Good things come to he who waits… If you don’t croak first.

Scrounge
12-21-2021, 12:09 AM

I'm jealous. My wife can't stand long enough to brush her teeth anymore. If I want homemade cookies, I have to home make them myself. I do make a pretty mean Rice Crispy cookie, using Alton Brown's recipe with browned butter. But our water heater computer errored out the other day, and I've been working on that, on and off. Right now, I'm circulating CLR through it to get rid of the mineral scale. Okie water is pretty hard. Makes it hard to work on the workshop, too. I've got a timer running, maybe 30 minutes left, then have to flush the water heater. Fortunately, it's a tankless heater, so it's not all that hard to flush it. Unfortunately, it's in the attic, and it's hard to get to. If this doesn't fix it, I need to crawl back up there, and pull the combustion chamber out, and clean it out with spray degreaser... Not happening tonight. About 30 tiny screws to remove. Yesterday, my hands and legs and back wouldn't let me do much of anything. First cold day of the winter here. Warmer to day. Hopefully tomorrow will be better than today was, which was much better than yesterday was. ;) Wore my coat inside the house, sitting in front of a heater, and still couldn't get warm or move, or hold on to much of anything.

The younger two have moved out, but my son lives with us. Mama and I don't do naked much anymore. We really don't want to traumatize him, or each other. ;) I did a cutout in the side of the tub a couple or three weeks ago, and it's easier for both of us to step inside the tub to take a shower now, and she can get in and out on her own.

I have an 8' long counter/floor cabinet I scavenged from work some years ago for my bench. A 2x6 bolted across the front, and a fair amount of storage space inside, plus 6' of 28" tall steel shelving across the back. One of these days, it, too, shall be organized. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Bill

poppy42
12-21-2021, 12:38 AM
Yepper!!!
My memory is fading though!!!
Some cookies would sure help!!!
Maybe a little Crumb Cake!!!

Yes but where should we send them oh wandering Brassmagnet?

Three44s
12-21-2021, 02:26 AM
Oh do I know the feeling. If my wife sees as much as a reloading catalog or a new die set on the kitchen table it's like "You gonna find a home for this?"

Well, you just did!

Three44s

poppy42
12-21-2021, 02:40 AM
I'm jealous. My wife can't stand long enough to brush her teeth anymore. If I want homemade cookies, I have to home make them myself. I do make a pretty mean Rice Crispy cookie, using Alton Brown's recipe with browned butter. But our water heater computer errored out the other day, and I've been working on that, on and off. Right now, I'm circulating CLR through it to get rid of the mineral scale. Okie water is pretty hard. Makes it hard to work on the workshop, too. I've got a timer running, maybe 30 minutes left, then have to flush the water heater. Fortunately, it's a tankless heater, so it's not all that hard to flush it. Unfortunately, it's in the attic, and it's hard to get to. If this doesn't fix it, I need to crawl back up there, and pull the combustion chamber out, and clean it out with spray degreaser... Not happening tonight. About 30 tiny screws to remove. Yesterday, my hands and legs and back wouldn't let me do much of anything. First cold day of the winter here. Warmer to day. Hopefully tomorrow will be better than today was, which was much better than yesterday was. ;) Wore my coat inside the house, sitting in front of a heater, and still couldn't get warm or move, or hold on to much of anything.

The younger two have moved out, but my son lives with us. Mama and I don't do naked much anymore. We really don't want to traumatize him, or each other. ;) I did a cutout in the side of the tub a couple or three weeks ago, and it's easier for both of us to step inside the tub to take a shower now, and she can get in and out on her own.

I have an 8' long counter/floor cabinet I scavenged from work some years ago for my bench. A 2x6 bolted across the front, and a fair amount of storage space inside, plus 6' of 28" tall steel shelving across the back. One of these days, it, too, shall be organized. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Bill

I feel your pain! No I really feel the pain! I’ve got so much metal in my body I feel like the tin man! I set off metal detectors in airports, court houses, and just about anyplace that has one! I’m afraid to go out in the rain, I might rust! Don’t ask about lightning storms!

WinchesterM1
12-21-2021, 10:38 AM
I’ll be honest, I wish my reloading area was smaller, I have a 12’ counter top with a Dillon SDB, 550, and 750 a Lee 4 hole turret press and the rest of my bench is clutter and stupid stuff I’m too lazy to clean up, I have found that the more space you have the more junk…yes junk…. You get. I have a 35x27’ concrete reinforced building (I collect WW2 guns) and it’s so full of stuff that I have collected because I have the room that I’m overwhelmed with everything I have

dverna
12-21-2021, 12:25 PM
I admire you making do with what you have to work with for most of the year. Goes to show that 250 square feet of space might be nice but not necessary for everyone.

My first loader was a Lee Target, and I did not have a bench. Went way overboard over the years and now starting the downsizing process.

Kudos to you and your wife!