PDA

View Full Version : ((( cwd )))

white eagle
12-19-2021, 04:34 PM
This past hunting season in Wisconsin I shot a doe that tested positive for CWD.
Would you all throw away the meat or treat with no concerns?
This is the first time that a deer from our area has tested positive or
the first deer from my hunting grounds to be more precise [smilie=b:

12-19-2021, 04:37 PM
Got to test it again[emoji3]

white eagle
12-19-2021, 04:39 PM
not sure how that can happen?

cwtebay
12-19-2021, 04:55 PM
There is good evidence that as long as you stay away from the brain / spinal cord and larger peripheral nerves that the risk is nearly non-existent. But having known someone who died of vCJD.....I don't know I could feed it to my family.
As an aside - testing methods vary and "suspects" are oftentimes merely insufficient samples or samples other than the obex that was submitted (rabies is the same, the sample is deemed positive if the entire brain is not present, even if the presented sample is 99% there and negative - the stakes are just too high).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

bisleyfan41
12-19-2021, 05:36 PM
Throw it away. It's just a deer. Go shoot another. No way I'd chance it.

slownsteady22
12-19-2021, 06:14 PM
Did it appear to be sick? Did you buy chance keep liver or heart( if it wasn't destroyed by the shot)?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

BMW Rider
12-19-2021, 06:24 PM

This. :goodpost:

white eagle
12-19-2021, 06:24 PM
other than being shot it appeared normal
did not save any organs

Beagle333
12-19-2021, 07:11 PM
I do hate to waste meat...... but I'd be scared to eat it. I lost a close friend/coworker/hunting-fishing buddy to VCJD and it was ugly.

dverna
12-19-2021, 07:14 PM
I do not trust “the science and the data”. If in doubt, throw it out.

I would stage it on my 200 yard range for coyote bait.

Budzilla 19
12-19-2021, 09:36 PM
This is the safest way to be sure! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ bait those ‘yotes with it!!! As always, just my .02

megasupermagnum
12-19-2021, 10:17 PM
0 people have ever contracted CWD. That includes over 200 people who ate meat from a deer that later tested positive for CWD.

Do with that information what you will.

rancher1913
12-19-2021, 11:15 PM
0 people have ever contracted CWD. That includes over 200 people who ate meat from a deer that later tested positive for CWD.

Do with that information what you will.

and zero people have died from mad cow, the reason is,is its called Jacobs Creutzfeldt disease in humans not mad cow.

the big problem with your statement is that it can take years to manifest itself so those people that ate the deer with cwd could stil die from it.

rockrat
12-19-2021, 11:17 PM
I would not eat it, but thats just me. Why take a chance? vCJD might take decades to develop, kind of like Shingles.
Call me suspicious, but it seems like Department of wildlife divisions in each state minimize any risk. If they were to come out and say that you have a chance of getting VCJD from an infected deer, what do you thing license sales would do?? There would go their funding and probably 90% of employees jobs would disappear.

cwtebay
12-19-2021, 11:42 PM
[QUOTE=megasupermagnum;5319702]0 people have ever contracted CWD. That includes over 200 people who ate meat from a deer that later tested positive for CWD.

Deleted this post.
Research Gajdusek. ' nuff said

Tripplebeards
12-20-2021, 07:14 AM
Wonder how many deer I’ve ate that had it?

kootne
12-20-2021, 11:03 AM
In our area deer carcasses are supposed to disposed in a dumpster at the landfill, when it is full they bury them. The idea is to reduce spread by not dumping carcasses in an uncontrolled manner. The prions that cause cwd are just about bullet proof for a long time. Evidently they survive the digestive tract and several years on the ground. They show up in the new growth of plant material so can potentially be transmitted when a deer grazes in where they are present long after they are deposited.

white eagle
12-20-2021, 11:17 AM
Prions are radioactive for deer
yes they stay in the ground and are contained in plants
as far as eating them unknown its hard to say for sure how many have actually been consumed but
since the introduction of CWD into our state I have had all deer I harvest tested and this is the first time I got a positive test result
its a shame and a crime to me that this happened makes me wonder about hunting deer anymore

John McCorkle
12-20-2021, 11:33 AM
as far as eating them unknown its hard to say for sure how many have actually been consumed but
since the introduction of CWD into our state I have had all deer I harvest tested and this is the first time I got a positive test result
its a shame and a crime to me that this happened makes me wonder about hunting deer anymoreOn this, what are the effects on deer population in areas that have had it for several years now? Is there a way to stop it's spread or anything that gives us hope that this will ever be a manageable disease?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

megasupermagnum
12-20-2021, 11:51 AM
and zero people have died from mad cow, the reason is,is its called Jacobs Creutzfeldt disease in humans not mad cow.

the big problem with your statement is that it can take years to manifest itself so those people that ate the deer with cwd could stil die from it.

I'll repeat again. ZERO people have ever contracted CDW in any form whatsoever. CWD does NOT cause vCJD. It is a fact, you can find this info everywhere. That includes 200 people in 2005 who for certain ate meat from a CWD deer.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2019/02/21/zombie-deer-disease-what-happened-people-ate-cwd-meat/2926840002/

TyGuy
12-20-2021, 12:08 PM
its a shame and a crime to me that this happened makes me wonder about hunting deer anymore

I worry that if people shy away from hunting them that CWD will spread even faster. I think mass culling in areas that are testing positive would be beneficial in the long term herd health but I doubt the conservation departments would ever go for something like that. You would have to clear them out and then limit hunting in those areas for years to allow the herd to recover. But it would be a moot point if the game ranches that seem to be the epicenter of the outbreaks continue as they have.

megasupermagnum
12-20-2021, 12:35 PM
I worry that if people shy away from hunting them that CWD will spread even faster. I think mass culling in areas that are testing positive would be beneficial in the long term herd health but I doubt the conservation departments would ever go for something like that. You would have to clear them out and then limit hunting in those areas for years to allow the herd to recover. But it would be a moot point if the game ranches that seem to be the epicenter of the outbreaks continue as they have.

Minnesota is a good case study for this reason. They did not get CWD like a lot of other places. While Wisconsin got it pretty bad, Minnesota hardly had anything. They have taken an excessively aggressive approach. When CWD was detected in a roadkilled deer (zero by hunters, despite mandatory testing), in the SE Rochester area, they had a special season. First they allowed hunters to kill all they wanted in a special late season. Later the state hired shooters to kill all they could.

Up until that point, CWD was only in a couple of areas. The vast majority were farm deer. You could kill every single wild deer, and CWD would still exist if deer are still farmed. Why these farms can't manage it, I do not know. It isn't getting better. In 2017 a farm in Wisconsin sent 400 infected deer to seven states.

At this point CWD has been around for what, 50 years? It's not going away. Zero humans in all that time have ever contracted it, it is only a detriment to the wild deer population. Hunters are largely doing what they can. It's a shame the farms are not doing a better job.

megasupermagnum
12-20-2021, 12:40 PM
I just looked it up, Maple Hill Farms did it AGAIN. Sending CWD infected deer to multiple states. The owner is crying her business is going to fail since they is now in quarantine. Well no ****, sherlock. If you have any decency, shoot every one of those deer, and go into a profession you dont suck at.

dverna
12-20-2021, 12:41 PM

WE,
I have been thinking the same way. But I am 71, so any long term effects are less of a concern. I would not risk feeding venison to our kids and grandkids unless it is tested.

I enjoy the comradery of deer camp, but the cost/lb it makes no sense. There was a thread about a $.12 deer...just wishful thinking. But folks will rationalize anything. I suppose if someone poaches off their back porch (not aware of any place you can kill deer without a license), and not sight in their gun, they could harvest a deer for $.12. My last doe cost about $4/lb... maybe more.

But we are having backstraps tonight for dinner...YUM.

megasupermagnum
12-20-2021, 12:47 PM
WE,
I have been thinking the same way. But I am 71, so any long term effects are less of a concern. I would not risk feeding venison to our kids and grandkids unless it is tested.

I enjoy the comradery of deer camp, but the cost/lb it makes no sense. There was a thread about a $.12 deer...just wishful thinking. But folks will rationalize anything. I suppose if someone poaches off their back porch (not aware of any place you can kill deer without a license), and not sight in their gun, they could harvest a deer for $.12. My last doe cost about $4/lb... maybe more.

I don't know what tags are there, but a resident deer tag here is $15 to $40. When I lived in Minnesota, you could buy a doe tag for $8.50. Sure, there is the work of hauling a deer back to the truck, and then butchering it, but deer meat is dirt cheap. Spices for jerky and sausage is maybe $10. It's under $1 a pound for sure.

white eagle
12-20-2021, 02:49 PM
They did have so called eradication zones here in Wisconsin
did nothing to stop the spread (kinda like Joe)
as far as tags I can get 4 antlerless tags a year
as far as costs I could care less the fact that the deer I killed has to be wasted just doesn't sit rite with me
your rite in saying hunting does more to stop this so I will keep after them, crying shame though

John McCorkle
12-20-2021, 03:00 PM
WE,

But we are having backstraps tonight for dinner...YUM.The cost per pound grows exponentially if you include every cost possible. Gun? Are you amortizing that cost over every deer killed? How about the vehicle used to get to the stand? The 2x4s in the stand? Ultimately yes.... everything in life has extra costs to make that possible. My car gets 25 mpg but costs of ownership goes way up if including oil changes, tires, belts and hoses, the garage I keep it in and license and registration. Those all are real costs no doubt...and could/should be factored. But I wouldn't give in to the direct or indirect costs alone. There is incredible joy in a successful hunt. There is (at least for me and my family) a defacto moment to pause and reflect on resourcefulness and making sure we use every single part of that deer we can....bone broth, rendering tallow, scraping every part of the meat we can....and that practice makes us more reflective on how we are wasteful in other areas. That changes how we live and are focused on being resourceful everywhere. So I have no prob being excited about a 12¢ deer. I count that not only an accurate win, but an honest celebration of a separate skill of mindfulness on waste. Are there other costs with hunting deer? Sure....but let's not be focused only on the dollars and cents to find we lose the incredible other values of hunting, reloading and resourcefulness...those skills and that mindset is invaluable. Diligence and hard work always return value...says so in the good book.

kootne
12-20-2021, 03:23 PM
A friend of mine years ago when we teased him about expensive elk meat (Due to fact he was buying out of state tags) said, "yes, it can be very expensive, last year when I was gone hunting my wife had a whole kitchen remodel done and new carpet put in the house".

My wife said something one time about the high cost of cheap meat, I told her, "Yes, it is expensive for meat, but it is really cheap for therapy".

megasupermagnum
12-20-2021, 03:28 PM
What functioning adult doesn't already have a car/truck and a rifle or shotgun, or at the very least access to each? Those costs have nothing to do with hunting. The only expense besides licenses you need for the most part is whatever your state requires for orange. Ok, so you need to buy an orange vest. Deer hunting is great because it is stupidly simple. You don't need a stand. You can certainly use one, but I hunted a long time until I could buy a stand and ground blind, and now I find myself drifting from both again. Calls and decoys really don't offer anything for a firearms hunter. Deer aren't that terribly smart, and are easy to pattern. Hunting big bucks is a whole other game, but just hunting one for meat? It doesn't get any cheaper than that.

Yeah, it sucks wasting meat. I've lost my share for various reasons. I wouldn't fret too much if you don't want to eat one with CWD. That deer was going to get sick soon anyway.

MT Gianni
12-20-2021, 03:55 PM
Certainly a shame but no crime involved unless you shot a deer behind a high fence in a private yard that was supposed to be certified CWD free. I would toss it but I don't need to shoot a deer to survive.

CWD testing is a double test done at different times if the first one is positive. It should be done blind so the second tester doesn't know if they are confirming or denying a previous test.

centershot
12-20-2021, 03:56 PM
I do not trust “the science and the data”. If in doubt, throw it out.

I would stage it on my 200 yard range for coyote bait.

I like the way you think, Don! :)

dverna
12-20-2021, 04:59 PM
Just curious, I get about 35-40 lbs of meat off a deer but I do not do a good job of getting it all. Just wondering what you more experienced butcherers get.

19112TAP
12-20-2021, 05:34 PM
Missouri's first case was in 2010 at a fenced hunting ranch 15 miles from my house and that same year they had a kill zone set up around the ranch and let people along with conservation officers and workers try to kill as many as possible then every year since they have had special area hunts after season to get as many as they can, I have been in one of those special kill areas twice now because a deer has tested positive within 2 miles from my house. Deer hunting has went down hill severally when they have had one of those hunts for several years after ward and the spread just keeps getting worse they add more counties each year. It sucks, so I just don't worry about it anymore if that's the way the Lord wants to take me home so be it.

If your hunting to save money on meat your better off buying it as the cost of everything hunting seams to rise, as for me though I keep it simple, don't buy all the gadgets or camo and still have enough luck to keep me going.

John McCorkle
12-20-2021, 05:57 PM
Just curious, I get about 35-40 lbs of meat off a deer but I do not do a good job of getting it all. Just wondering what you more experienced butcherers get.Largely depends on the size of the deer for obvious reasons...but...in general I get somewhere 10-20% more than that (ie another 5 or 10 lbs or so off an average 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 yo deer) bigger older does net a touch more and bucks more still.

I will say I totally get and understand not spending the additional hours scraping off every little thing. Butchering quarters, backstrap, fishloins and flank/brisket is enough labor as it is. Rib meat, neck meat, and all the trimmings that net out the few extra ounces has to be an exercise in intent because it takes along time and more often than not I'd rather quit and be done by the time I'm at that point....but it's good for my boys to watch me work late into the night to prove a point. Not everyone needs that lesson or has the lesson to teach to little ones....so absolutely no judgement or resentment to anyone that does otherwise.

Then the effort in rendering tallow and roasting bones and cooking batches of broth for days on top of that...makes for a very full stovetop and lots of work.

The broth turns out great and is super nutritional...the tallow makes good ingredients for muzzleloader lube and hair product for the wife.....and makes a great skin moisturizer (as if I needed any help being devilishly handsome to begin with [emoji1787])

Mostly, it's not out of need...but the lessons my kids are learning will hopefully stick and become bone deep habits in diligence...that's the main take away for me. The food and careful use of everything is a great side benefit but the value in those extra ounces or few pounds of meat are minimal in comparison to the pure principle for me, wife and kids

405grain
12-20-2021, 06:21 PM
Prions, or misfolded proteins, are 100% deadly and there's no cure. Once ingested they may take many years to manifest symptoms. It is a very bad way to die. I would not chance it by consuming infected meat. Though it goes against normal hunting ethics, nothing is wasted in nature: I would leave that deer for the worms and bugs. Other's will disagree with me, and it is their right, but I feel that the risks are too high.

smoked turkey
12-20-2021, 09:07 PM
My county in MO is in a CWD zone known for Deer infected by CWD. I have heard that there is little risk involved in eating venison. That being said I would in no way eat a deer that tested positive for CWD. I can't imagine anyone doing so, but as has been said each person can do what they want. I am planning to hunt in the upcoming "alternate weapons" hunt that starts December 25.

Lloyd Smale
12-21-2021, 06:57 AM
WE,

id say at camp my deer probably cost 20 bucks a lb. or so. I probably spend 500-1000 dollars deer season and that doesnt even factor in what we spend on camp through the year. Add to that theres been years i havent brought home an ounce of meat. Now crop damage shooting is a bit better. We probably average a deer a day split by two of us but have shot as many as 5 in an evening. But if you look at one 100lb doe boned out is maybe 30lbs of meat split two ways. Cost us last year about 20 bucks a day for gas (before the prices went up this year) So that works out to about a 1.50 a lb. But then factor in the time to bone it and supplies to vaccum pack it and that is a bit light.

Lloyd Smale
12-21-2021, 07:02 AM
Just curious, I get about 35-40 lbs of meat off a deer but I do not do a good job of getting it all. Just wondering what you more experienced butcherers get.

again as you know ive shot LOTS of deer through the years. Mostly does crop damage shooting. A 100lb doe about equivelent to a spike horn if your shooting bucks MIGHT get you 30lbs of meat. 130lb doe which is a large one will get you maybe 10 more. Now i take all the flank meat brisket ect but dont bother with ribs and truthfully if i really took my time maybe theres another 3 or 4lbs there. But when your looking at 2-4 deer laying on the floor to get done before 3pm when its time to go again you tend to be a bit sloppy. But whoever said half the deer live weight is meat is smoking crack. If i had to put a number on the avearge deer ive butchered it would be around 30-35lbs

Lloyd Smale
12-21-2021, 07:05 AM
As to cwd we have some in this state and the neighboring states but ive yet to hear of even one person that got it eating meat so im sure not losing sleep over it. Theres a dnr officer that lives right where we sometimes shoot deer. Right at the edge of the field. I asked him a couple years ago if he wanted to test the deer we shot. His answer? Its about as likely to find one even in an effected area as finding a needle in a haystack. He said that flags go up everywhere if ONE deer is found in the area and it puts everyone in a panic for nothing. He said in his opinion its more something the anti hunters are using to shut down killing deer then anything else.

Newboy
12-21-2021, 07:36 AM
Maybe cwd is being exaggerated by tree huggers to stop hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry, Lloyd, I just noticed you already said similar.

nannyhammer
12-21-2021, 08:00 AM
I've butchered a few and most times you get roughly 40-45% from the hog dressed weight as edible meat. That's if you are good with a knife and bone out everything from the shanks to their ears. I suck at gambling so there's no way I would eat am animal that tested positive.

dverna
12-21-2021, 10:55 AM
Lloyd,
Thank you for responding on the useable meat weight of harvested deer. Your numbers confirm what I am seeing. We add in 10-15% pork fat to ground venison and that brings up the harvested pounds a bit.

I see crap on the internet about getting 60-70 lbs of meat from a deer and wonder ***!!! They must be monsters. I think they are the same guys getting sub-moa groups at 500 yards...LOL.

TyGuy
12-21-2021, 11:49 AM
Lloyd,
Thank you for responding on the useable meat weight of harvested deer. Your numbers confirm what I am seeing. We add in 10-15% pork fat to ground venison and that brings up the harvested pounds a bit.

I see crap on the internet about getting 60-70 lbs of meat from a deer and wonder ***!!! They must be monsters. I think they are the same guys getting sub-moa groups at 500 yards...LOL.

Maybe they are leaving the ribs, hams, etc intact and on the bone…

If you spit roast a yearling whole can you count the entire weight? Haha!

Electrod47
12-21-2021, 12:01 PM

Couldnt say it better

white eagle
12-21-2021, 12:25 PM
been butchering my deer for may years
lucky to get 25# out of a deer
many years ago a farmer told me it takes 3 deer to fill a grocery bag
he may have been rite on that account
I don't keep anything with silver skin or anything I wouldn't want to feed to my family
picky, my wife trims after me she is even pickier

Lloyd Smale
12-21-2021, 01:32 PM
Maybe cwd is being exaggerated by tree huggers to stop hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry, Lloyd, I just noticed you already said similar.

you and i arent alone in that belief

smoked turkey
12-21-2021, 01:36 PM
In response to Lloyd's post #39 regarding eating venison with a slight chance of CWD, I asked an employee at a CWD test sampling site what his thought was on it. His comment was much the same as the officer told Lloyd. To paraphrase he said that he felt that the CWD idea has been around for a long long time and little chance of contacting the disease. He'd eat it. I still have problems with it and won't eat it if it is tested as positive for CWD. I thought that as someone else posted above that this is a hyped up thing by the anti-hunters to curtail hunting in general. I can equate this to be much like the lead scare, which I place no creditability on. I will have my deer taken in the upcoming alternate season tested and will base my use of the meat on the results. This is especially due to the fact I am in a known CWD zone. Otherwise venison is one of the healthiest meats one can eat due to the natural diet they are on, and the fact they are very lean without much fat.

megasupermagnum
12-21-2021, 01:49 PM
Lloyd,

I've got 50 pounds off of a deer before, but that's a mature buck. I'd say 35-40 pounds is more in line with what I see. I take the obvious stuff, backstrap, tenderloin, 4 quarters, and neck meat. I don't fiddle around with the little stuff. I might spend 10 minutes getting a few more chunks off the carcass, usually around the front legs and hips. The ribs themselves I leave. I also take the heart if I can, and tongue if I don't forget.

I'd say where people will loose the most meat will be boning out. Especially the front legs, I used to waste a lot more. Now I must get dang near double the meat off the front legs as from when I was a kid. The neck meat too you kind of get one shot at getting it, otherwise you end up fiddling around.

Smoke4320
12-21-2021, 02:42 PM
No to down play your thoughts I mostly agree but in NC as A landowner I can hunt land with MY house or MY farmed cropland with FREE landowner tags.. No need for a license during deer seasons. Now the minute I hunt someone elses or public land I have to have a NC hunting license and big game tags.
Either way I will send money for scents, freezer paper, ice, Maybe clothes, some corn or salt blocks ect...,

This year even though I don't need it I purchased a lifetime hunting license. That way I am covered regardless

todd9.3x57
12-21-2021, 04:42 PM
I've got 50 pounds off of a deer before, but that's a mature buck. I'd say 35-40 pounds is more in line with what I see. I take the obvious stuff, backstrap, tenderloin, 4 quarters, and neck meat. I don't fiddle around with the little stuff. I might spend 10 minutes getting a few more chunks off the carcass, usually around the front legs and hips. The ribs themselves I leave. I also take the heart if I can, and tongue if I don't forget.

i figure that if i shoot a deer at 150lbs (avg weight here), by the time you are done gutting and skinning and cutting meat off the bone, then its around 40-50 lbs of cut meat. i have killed alot of older deer that weigh 220-240lbs(about every 3 years, does mostly, but there's a few bucks). i don't kill fawns and yearling deer, because i don't need 10 or 20lbs of deer meat.

hc18flyer
12-21-2021, 05:12 PM
Our Nebraska Whitetail does and smaller bucks will yield 45-55# of bones meat. We usually have 2 to none out, so don't waste much time on small trimmings. If I fill my tag, it will be tested, and then I will decide. I can't believe, as important as this is, there isn't more research communicated with hunters?

megasupermagnum
12-21-2021, 07:39 PM
I can't believe, as important as this is, there isn't more research communicated with hunters?

Is this a joke? Scientists have gone as far as injecting CWD directly into monkey brains trying to find any shred of possibility of danger. Yes, injected directly into their brains, monkeys got CWD. 0 human beings have ever contracted the CWD. That's the fact of the matter, black and white. You can find that information everywhere, CWD, FDA, every DNR, GFP, etc. The research isn't communicated because there's nothing more to tell. Do what you want with that info.

I regularly eat things that humans can get. Pigs and Bears for example can carry trichinosis. Most fish carry a whole bunch of parasites, you think I'm one to turn down a walleye? That's not to mention the Mercury and other strange things that can't be cooked out of fish. So put things into context, and is continued research of eating CWD meat really a good use of resources?

white eagle
12-21-2021, 10:56 PM
you talk of the way man has totally messed up the habitat
look at the walleye can't eat as many as you would have 50 years ago
I mean meals per week or month there are advisories on fish consumption
because of the chemicals that we have leached into our waterways
weeds choke out some areas and others are devoid of fish habitat
all for what a nice lawn

megasupermagnum
12-21-2021, 11:12 PM
you talk of the way man has totally messed up the habitat
look at the walleye can't eat as many as you would have 50 years ago
I mean meals per week or month there are advisories on fish consumption
because of the chemicals that we have leached into our waterways
weeds choke out some areas and others are devoid of fish habitat
all for what a nice lawn

It's true, but this is one area things have gotten a lot better. Farming and other land management (including lawns) was atrocious in the past. I'm no farmer, but it appears to me that the fertilizers and practices used today are not only less impactful, harvest is just about doubled since the 80's.

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2021, 06:48 AM
Maybe they are leaving the ribs, hams, etc intact and on the bone…

If you spit roast a yearling whole can you count the entire weight? Haha!

yup id say there weighting whole front shoulder and probably whole bone in hind quarters to get the weights some claim. My real guess is they dont even weight it. Just look at the pile of meat on the table and guess. Keep in mind that for many the most meat they saw at one time was after mom came home from grocery shopping with a couple lbs of burger and a pack of chicken. Same goes for live wieght. Every year up here i get a laugh out of someone claiming they have a 200lb buck or a 180 lb or 210lb. First of all they have no clue how RARE a buck over 160 is up here and it seems like its always a nice even number. Very few ill say 203 lb or 186. Its always a nice number ending in zero. Not just rounded up buy usually add 30lbs then round up.

GLynn41
12-22-2021, 02:07 PM
Cant add to but reenforce I read all I could find on this and the statement was made taht with all the deer killed over the last 50+ years since CWD was found and named-- there has been no record any one getting the disease by now there should a number of hunters that have the disease-- even with a decade development period ---many should be sick by now as it has been 5 decades. we are in far more danger smoking and dipping, etc. having said that I do not like it-- but again many things we ingest commonly can have long term problems -- this is there but there seems to be no risk.. just leave spine brain head etc alone...

Screwbolts
12-22-2021, 03:14 PM
What caliber and Boolit did you shoot that (((CWD))) with? After all this is, "Hunting with CB's"

white eagle
12-23-2021, 05:20 PM
I wish I could go out and shoot another one with a rifle
however the only season left open is the bow season and I am limited
as to my spots with a bow with the range limitations and all
I don't use a cross bow so I am limited to archery ranges

Jeff Michel
12-24-2021, 07:15 AM
Not transmittable to humans, period. I worked for the USDA when this was thoroughly tested by the USDA when it was determined that BSE was a public safety issue. It's still a personal choice. If your worried, don't eat it. I would be more concerned with fecal contamination on my meat than CWD. More likely to get sick from that.

John McCorkle
12-24-2021, 10:28 AM
Not transmittable to humans, period. I worked for the USDA when this was thoroughly tested by the USDA when it was determined that BSE was a public safety issue. It's still a personal choice. If your worried, don't eat it. I would be more concerned with fecal contamination on my meat than CWD. More likely to get sick from that.Thanks for that info. I was a bit in the fence about it...not here in my neck of the woods yet but "yet" is key....it's in southern Arkansas and just a few parishes over from us here in Louisiana....so next year or two we will see impact here I'm sure

johnsonian09
12-25-2021, 12:14 PM
I dont believe the disease is transferable to humans. That being said...? I still may not eat it. Because of my own paranoia and it's in poor health the taste might change some I think. And may not be the healthiest for you to eat..

I'd still probably put it down tho. I've seen what they look like in later stages and nothing deserves to suffer like that.. the song dog bait sounds good to me.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

OverMax
12-26-2021, 12:54 AM
I'd worry more about the beef I eat than a CWD deer. Such infected deer in my neck of the woods get swallowed by the yotes & Gray wolves. As for me if I had too. No neck loin or rib cage tissue. Everything south of I'd freezer up.

Ramjet-SS
12-28-2021, 10:11 AM
My goodness how many naturally occurring things like CWD do you think occurs in animals?

Seriously answer that question.

Remember the Fauci Flu didn’t come form a BAT it came from a lab.

My point is this stop being so freaking paranoid about everything. This entire CWD management is run by the Do Nothing Right in Wisconsin. They have CWD in elk herds in CO for how many years? Yup still have huge ELK herds.

So it tested positive?

How many false positives do they have in the tests. How many screw ups where the wrong test for the wrong deer was reported? I don’t have any of my deer tested. If they are that sick and it’s obvious they become yoddle pup food.

My advice do your research stop listening to the DNR they are government organization trying to be relevant they are just trying to destroy hunting in Wisconsin.

STOP WITH THE MASS PSYCHOSIS

white eagle
12-28-2021, 11:42 AM
I agree I have a wife that is not seeing the same as I do