PDA

View Full Version : Skinner sights on a Browning 1885?

hc18flyer
12-18-2021, 01:36 PM
Anyone have experience with these? I just can't get down low enough to use the factory sights? This model does not have a tang. Thanks,hc18flyer

NSB
12-18-2021, 02:33 PM
Skinner sights work “OK”, but not great. Once on the gun and sighted in, they aren’t quickly adjustable for changing distance. They can be adjusted, but it’s not like having a tang mounted sight or a ladder sight on the gun. Also, they aren’t “micro adjustable”. You have to turn the entire aperture to raise or lower POI. I had one on my gun and took it off after trying it for a while. I’m not knocking them, but they’re just not anything special. If you’re hunting deer or something in heavy woods they’re fine if you set them for a hundred yards or so and then use them for targets within that distance.

hc18flyer
12-18-2021, 05:45 PM
Our rifle will likely only get used at 100 yards and with lighter loads. Targets and likely a whitetail or 2. Looking for a sight that sits higher. I need to figure out the front sight we need for our chosen load. I can do that with info from the Skinner site. hc18flyer

NSB
12-18-2021, 05:59 PM
For that application they will work very well.