PDA

View Full Version : If you ever move...

44Blam
12-17-2021, 11:50 PM
You will find out exactly HOW much reloading stuff you have. And you will keep finding that random boolit that got loose in whatever process you were working on and rolled over to some odd corner.

And I have found 4 large pistol primers. :-o I think this was from when I broke my primer seater and was "making do" with the broken one until I was able to get new ones.

I also keep finding random brass - these were the problem children that I was gonna deal with. Eg 40 S&W with crimped primer pockets, 357 sig mistaken for 40 S&W, 44 specials and those pesky Hornady 45-70 cases that are trimmed too short...

nhyrum
12-17-2021, 11:54 PM
Yep, been there, done that. Found all the spent primers that didn't always make it in the catch too. But yep, you find out exactly how much reloading sh..... tuff you have. Especially how much lead...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
12-18-2021, 12:03 AM
Random brass? HA! I think I can beat that.:bigsmyl2:

Years ago, I'd gotten a 25cents a pound deal on at least 250 pounds of shot, some in bags, some in plastic milk cartons.
Most of it was stacked/vanished into the back far reaches on the shelf under my work bench.

A few years ago, I kept hearing a soft 'tinkling' noise in the shop, and couldn't figure out what it was.
After a few months, it quit, and I forgot about it.

Four years ago, we moved.
The shop looked like what you'd see on that hoarders show.
As I cleaned, sorted, boxed up, etc. from the top down, I came across 4-5 split/empty plastic milk cartons on the shelf.

No big deal. When I got past the shelf, and started pulling stuff out that was under the bench on the floor----
I saw about 80-90 pounds of shot spread out on the floor at the back.

Then I realized what that tinkle noise was I'd been hearing.

megasupermagnum
12-18-2021, 12:26 AM
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I moved not long ago. I was reading through the shotgun section here, and thinking how I always wanted an H&R Buck 162, a special model smooth bore slug gun with a peep sight. As I was putting away some guns from a recent hunting trip I noticed one in the back of the safe that I thought was one of my H&R Tracker II's, but they couldn't be, I just put them back. Everything is in their own gun sock by the way, so it isn't like I can clearly see what is what. I pull it out, and what is it? An H&R Buck 162 I had bought a couple months before I moved. I've never even shot it, and forgot I had it.

44Blam
12-18-2021, 12:30 AM
Random brass? HA! I think I can beat that.:bigsmyl2:

Years ago, I'd gotten a 25cents a pound deal on at least 250 pounds of shot, some in bags, some in plastic milk cartons.
Most of it was stacked/vanished into the back far reaches on the shelf under my work bench.

A few years ago, I kept hearing a soft 'tinkling' noise in the shop, and couldn't figure out what it was.
After a few months, it quit, and I forgot about it.

Four years ago, we moved.
The shop looked like what you'd see on that hoarders show.
As I cleaned, sorted, boxed up, etc. from the top down, I came across 4-5 split/empty plastic milk cartons on the shelf.

No big deal. When I got past the shelf, and started pulling stuff out that was under the bench on the floor----
I saw about 80-90 pounds of shot spread out on the floor at the back.

Then I realized what that tinkle noise was I'd been hearing.

Oh man, 90 lbs of shot all over the floor... Yikes!

Winger Ed.
12-18-2021, 01:18 AM

I was doing a lot of the moving myself in stages, and luckily, I hadn't taken the big-bad boy shop vac to the new house.

lancem
12-18-2021, 02:18 AM
Worse yet. I'm finally moving from my "garage" to my reloading room in the house, some how I have lost a 300 BO seating die and a 22-250 sizing die. I've looked every where and they are not there, how do you loose dies?? I'm sure they will show up but in the mean time I've ordered more...

Winger Ed.
12-18-2021, 03:25 AM
I'm sure they will show up but in the mean time I've ordered more...

There was a thread awhile back about this very thing.

What's happened to me a few times is I find the lost item about a day before the little brown truck pulls up and delivers a new one.

I still have a .429 mold that will stay lost forever.
I don't think I'll get another .44Mag, so I won't need to buy a new mold for one.
So,,, my old mold has no reason to come out of hiding.

GregLaROCHE
12-18-2021, 03:48 AM
I didn’t move, but had to clear out my reloading area to have a cement pad poured. There was so much stuff. I realized how Not easy it was to move around all the lead I have accumulated, both ingots and unused cast boolits. I hope to stay put for the rest of my life now.

Ithaca Gunner
12-18-2021, 08:07 AM
I don't even want to think about it! It would take me months-years to sort things out. Worse yet, if I were called by the Lord what a time my wife and brother would have with the stuff!

Cosmic_Charlie
12-18-2021, 08:18 AM
Yes, if I passed my wife would have a pile of gun stuff to deal with. I should winnow it down and organize it better. When us "boomers" start to go there will be a huge glut of used guns and reloading/casting stuff and few wanting it

Land Owner
12-18-2021, 08:40 AM

The mere thought of separating #9 shot from #8, #7-1/2, #6, #4, etc. into 25-pound piles (original weight per bag of shot) is mind numbing!

I was GIVEN nearly 900#'s of lead in 50# ingots (DOT Intrastate transportation sleeves for nuclear pharmaceuticals). Each ingot is in its own steel ammo can. The "bonus" for hauling it all away was an additional 65 steel ammo cans.

When I moved my reloading components from one house to another, and ground floor to 2nd floor (the lead stayed in the garage), the ammo cans became my individual "suitcases", each loaded and weighing not more than 60 pounds. At about 60 pounds each, one in each hand for stability, an ammo can handle will cut into the palm of your ungloved hand after about 20 hauls up the stairs. Don't ask me how I know...

Battis
12-18-2021, 08:43 AM
Last summer we had to clean out "the estate" of a deceased family member. He was a competitive skeet shooter (and hunter), and a reloader from way back. Lead bars, bags of shot, unused primers, used shotgun hulls, lots of loaded ammo (mostly shotgun), cleaning supplies, 3 presses (.410, 28 ga, 20/12 ga) gun safe, gun parts, guns - lots of guns (rifles and handguns). We found an antique revolver wrapped up in a rag. You want it, take it. I did pay for the .410 press and a bunch of guns (token payment was all that was required). I did alright.

Finster101
12-18-2021, 08:45 AM
"I saw about 80-90 pounds of shot spread out on the floor at the back."

Lucky you didn't look like Wile E. Coyote and a box of ACME ball bearings.

sharps4590
12-18-2021, 08:45 AM
Moving....the most hateful chore ever devised by the mind of man. When we moved into our "new" house we built 17 years ago that is it. Next move is the cemetery or the nursing home.

Finster101
12-18-2021, 08:48 AM
Moving....the most hateful chore ever devised by the mind of man. When we moved into our "new" house we built 17 years ago that is it. Next move is the cemetery or the nursing home.

We lived in the same house for 23 years and then moved 6 years ago. I'm still finding things I forgot I had.

dverna
12-18-2021, 09:00 AM
My last move was 9 years ago. I had a long bed F350 diesel dually four door. IIRC, for the reloading equipment, ammunition, components and guns alone; 6 full loads with stuff packed in the rear seating area and the bed stacked . There is still stuff I cannot find that I know I have.

Joe504
12-18-2021, 09:09 AM
We have to much stuff guys.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

Cosmic_Charlie
12-18-2021, 09:31 AM
I should start getting tables at gunshows and selling off the items that are just collecting dust. I have done it before and it seems to work if you price things right. I have acquaintances who have large collections of motorcycles and are getting too old to ride. Gun enthusiasts are not the only ones with piles of hobby stuff.

BNE
12-18-2021, 09:49 AM
I hope to start building in the next two years. I already have a shed with my tractor in it at the property. My PLAN is to slowly move my lead collection before I move. Plans are easy. Execution may be difficult!

bedbugbilly
12-18-2021, 10:28 AM
Had to smile at your description - been there and done that. Funny how when you "lose" a boolit or a primer to the floor and just can't seem to find them (they sure do a good job of hiding on a person) they all show up when you do have to pack everything up for a move. And those "problem child" casings! Hah! Does a person ever get to them to either make 'em right or toss them in the scrap brass container? And let's not forget all of those parts, pieces and doo dads that you hang on to because you "might need them"! :-)

Wag
12-18-2021, 10:42 AM
I moved a year ago. Found a few things I had thought I'd lost. The movers balked at taking the powder, etc. but since it was a cross-town move, they relented and loaded it up in their truck. They also took my lead; I estimate it to be about 1,000 lbs, give or take.

The guns and ammo, though, I loaded into my little 25-year old Nissan SE v-6. Guns in the cab, ammo in the bed.

Poor little truck made it but being as it was a standard transmission, it was having trouble. On the freeway at a pathetic 55 mph and people blasting by. Embarrassing. But it made it just fine. Sold the truck a few weeks later.

You learn about capacities of trucks doing stuff like that. Crazy!

--Wag--

lightman
12-18-2021, 12:52 PM
It seems from reading everyones post that doing a good job packing and labeling boxes is worth the extra time. I'm probably facing another move and I dread the thought of moving hundreds of pounds of brass and thousands of pounds of lead.

Land Owner
12-18-2021, 02:45 PM
Dread? No! No dread! It is FUN, if you screw that right into your thinking cap. We all "know" our stuff. Finding the stuff we had not thought about, that was lost, or misplaced is the gift that keeps on giving. It can be Christmas in July...

and Wag, I see your loaded truck as all of the other traffic wizzes by UNTIL that one Fool, too proud in his own mind, wanting to start some road rage sh...tuff, coming up to your window and the LOOK on his face as he rethinks his poor decision upon seeing just what it was that you were hauling. I would pay to see that...

MrWolf
12-18-2021, 07:12 PM
Moved five years ago next month. Used those "storage units" that they move to your new place. Driver hands me half a bucket of my smelted corn muffin lead. Says you a reloader? Seems their forktruck decided to puncture the unit's floor and this is all they found in the yard. I had it in buckets and loose all around the edges. About 2,000 lbs.

Wag
12-19-2021, 10:19 AM
and Wag, I see your loaded truck as all of the other traffic wizzes by UNTIL that one Fool, too proud in his own mind, wanting to start some road rage sh...tuff, coming up to your window and the LOOK on his face as he rethinks his poor decision upon seeing just what it was that you were hauling. I would pay to see that...

Oh, no, it was all tarped an covered up. Nobody was going to get a look at a load of ammo cans. I would have been fighting off a crime lord and his lackeys in this town. Ugh!

--Wag--

adnservers
04-13-2024, 05:57 AM
When I moved from Atlanta to Denver, I had a lot of stuff too, and finding a reliable moving company was key. Most moving companies will help with a big move, but for your pistols, you’ll need to check local laws and possibly transport them yourself, as many movers have restrictions on transporting firearms.

I used Three Movers for my move, and they were efficient and professional. They managed to pack and move my items quickly, which was a huge relief. They can give you a quote based on the amount of stuff you have and the distance of your move. For more information on finding the best moving companies, you might want to check out https://threemovers.com/best-moving-companies/, which can help you compare services and prices.

Half Dog
04-13-2024, 07:47 AM
I’ve lost many spent primers. I pick them up one at a time when my wife walks near my bench barefooted.

frkelly74
04-13-2024, 08:50 AM
When we moved to Florida about 9 years ago I sold off my lead that I had lovingly rendered out into ingots and took the money with us with the intention of replacing my lead with the $900 bucks. Ha! We needed a new floor in the upstairs of the house so we spent the money there instead. When we moved back to Michigan I brought my lead as accumulated in Florida with us. I got the biggest U Haul truck they had and a trailer and drove it all back north. We also got 4 of the storage unit containers for all the rest of our belongings that were deemed safe to load into commercial carriers.

DaleT
04-13-2024, 09:33 AM
Moved 5 years ago after 27 at the same place.
Wow Did I have a lot of accumulated " might need that someday" stuff. Starting to filter through and culling out. Some things are like Wow! There it is !

GunnyMack
04-13-2024, 03:24 PM
One of my Labs at about 10months old decided a bag of shot needed to come up frome the basement. It made the trip intact but she decided to chew the bag open and spread it around the house. That was 35 years ago! and yes I'm still finding shot!
A few years ago I shot a tournament, skeet, trap,wobble trap and Bunker trap. I built an O/U From a box of parts and it's the perfect skeet gun. Well a few months later I'm in the safe and my Redheaded Stepchild is NOT there! I tore the house apart, called my shooting buddies, the club. Not seen or heard of. So I called the PA state police, drive an hour to make a report. Nadda. About a year goes by and I'm digging in the safe again and yup you guessed it- there's my Redheaded Stepchild! Don't ask me how I missed it...

TNsailorman
04-13-2024, 04:20 PM
The last time I moved was in 1971 and I vowed never to do it again and I have kept that promise to myself. I will die right where I am at and be happy to go to The Lord from here. james

jimb16
04-13-2024, 09:21 PM
Yeah, yeah! Sure, sure! Like none of us ever discovered dies and bullets at the back of the shelf for a handgun or rifle we sold 10 years ago! or was that 20?? Its been so long that I don't remember!

MrWolf
04-14-2024, 08:51 AM
The last time I moved was in 1971 and I vowed never to do it again and I have kept that promise to myself. I will die right where I am at and be happy to go to The Lord from here. james

Same here. Moved January of '17. Not doing that again. We talk about finding a place in a warmer area, but we couldn't find what we have here and I love this state so...

Barry54
04-14-2024, 09:08 AM
Worse yet. I'm finally moving from my "garage" to my reloading room in the house, some how I have lost a 300 BO seating die and a 22-250 sizing die. I've looked every where and they are not there, how do you loose dies?? I'm sure they will show up but in the mean time I've ordered more...

Ordering more is the most reliable way to find them.

Sneaky dies, on the other hand like to get into other die boxes and go make friends with the universal decapper etc.

Wag
04-14-2024, 09:59 AM
Now it's been three and a half years since my move and I STILL haven't cast one single boolit or loaded one single round. I don't know what's demotivated me, either. Weird.

But I did finally get some things put up and set up and if I get the urge, I can do either. However, I have discovered that I'm missing a box of stuff. Or rather, missing several small items which I suspect are in a small box some where and I can't, for the life of me find it.

One of these days, I'll get through the last of these boxes and stumble across it.

--Wag--

Bmi48219
04-14-2024, 10:47 AM

As kids we reloaded in the basement. Dad had me cover the floor drain in the reloading area with duct-tape. He said the last thing he needed was 1 and 1/8 ounce of #7.5s in the drain lines.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-14-2024, 11:14 AM
I want to move now. I found a better job in another city. But I had too much stuff. In a week I have to start my new job but I don't know how to make my move. I also have pistols. Will a moving company help me? Is it cheap?

adnservers,
Welcome to the forum.
You offer so little info about yourself and the locations in question, I am unable to help you, except so say, Load all your pistols into your canoe and make a float trip out of it...and God help you, if your new job is in California.

centershot
04-14-2024, 12:29 PM
We have to much stuff guys.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

Yup!

farmbif
04-14-2024, 12:39 PM
big Penske rental truck with lift gate and car dolly could be your saving grace. even if you might have to hire a couple helpers from your local labor pool to help load and unload.
I remember when I moved trying to sell stuff was a nightmare we couldn't even give away the beautiful Ethan Allen quality furniture from my daughter's room. but go to buy new furniture where your moving to and see what it might cost. I have a close lifelong friend who has a saying about stuff and moving. if you have not used it in a year give it some serious thought. if you haven't used it in five years its probably best to get rid of it

WRideout
04-15-2024, 08:02 AM
When my employer transferred me to a new job at Oak Ridge TN working on the nuclear cleanup program, I went first, and left my family to take care of moving our belongings later. I packed up my Chevy Celebrity (remember those?) with all the essentials I thought I would need right away. Of course that included enough reloading gear and supplies to get started, a small collection of rifles, and a handgun.

The Y12 plant in Oak Ridge is a secure facility where they still do nuclear research, and make some parts and pieces for various classified projects. I was staying at the hotel the company paid for, and so kept all my stuff in the car which I drove to work the first day. First thing was a full day of HR lectures and various safety briefings. One presenter was describing the security rules and put up a slide that showed all the things that were never allowed on site. Guns of any description, explosives, etc. etc. The blood drained from my face; I pictured a bomb dog alerting on my Chey wagon. I could see myself in handcuffs lead off to jail, or worse.

As soon as the lunch break arrived, I ran out to the car and drove back to the hotel, where I carried all the contraband into my room, only a slightly less suspicious activity. I did survive that first day, and stayed working there for the next seven years. My employer hired a moving company to handle our household goods, which included a half-ton of lead ingots.

Wayne

shdwlkr
04-15-2024, 09:52 AM
Last time I moved had a few friends help me, they still remember how much work it was. I hope to not do it again, but life has a way sometimes changing things. I have a whole lot more stuff that would have to be moved now.

adnservers
04-15-2024, 10:09 AM
When I moved from Atlanta to Denver, I had a lot of stuff too, and finding a reliable moving company was key. Most moving companies will help with a big move, but for your pistols, you’ll need to check local laws and possibly transport them yourself, as many movers have restrictions on transporting firearms.

Rich/WIS
04-15-2024, 11:21 AM
Moved 16 times with the Army including twice to Germany. Moved again by myself from WI to KY and hired movers. Downsized a lot for the last move and brought my guns and reloading and casting stuff (powder, alloy and primers) myself over several trips. Was surprised how much there was even after downsizing. If I move again will downsize even further. If I die here my son asked me what I wanted done with all my stuff, told him didn't care and it was his problem. His response was "gee, thanks Dad".

imashooter2
04-15-2024, 01:47 PM
It took me 7-10 years to get the last of my stuff out of the ancestral home. My little brother still had a fair pile of things to drag out when we settled my Father’s estate. My older brother had moved so many times he didn’t own anything he couldn’t fit in the back of a pickup truck!

Baltimoreed
04-15-2024, 02:44 PM
After Irene put 8 inches in my house [just enough to wreck most everything] everything had to be emptied to rip out the floors, 4 ft of Sheetrock on the walls, wiring, kitchen cabinets etc. Most wound up next to the street to be hauled off. Solid wood and nonporous items were cleaned off and stored in a rented container in the yard. All our clothes were bagged and frirnds washed them and kept them for us. My barn only got a 1/2 inch in it so all my reloading gear and components went out there. My firearms went to several friends to keep safe, handguns went into a couple large safe deposit boxes. My wife and I were put in a hotel for a month or two but then we had a fema mini trailer put in my yard. Took a year to get the house elevated and rebuilt. We didn't move far but it was a hard year.

charlie b
04-15-2024, 08:26 PM
Another Army type. Only 6 moves with the military, 5 more after that. Guns were always moved with us when we drove to the new location (along with ammo, powder, etc). I didn't have a larger collection until later in life. The kicker on that one was when we decided to full time in the RV. That was a big downsize. Made the other moves look like a walk in the park.

When we got into the current house, and being over 70, one of my main considerations is how would my wife or family have to deal with my 'stuff'. I have sold off a few more guns that I haven't used or shot in a while and am down to my 'favorites', the ones I use a lot.

murf205
04-18-2024, 09:08 AM
325817 MOVE....are you kidding me? And this is about 1/3 of my junk...er, I mean equipment.

murf205
04-18-2024, 09:13 AM
325819 Some things a mover would cry over and I really don't want them to see what is in the "shop"

15meter
04-18-2024, 03:30 PM
I've got a 24x32 heated work shop with a full compliment of woodworking tools, plus a South Bend lathe and all the casting and reloading stuff needed for 70+ calibers/gauges. Plus a separate 12x36 building for the 4 iceboats, the dune buggy and the lawn/yard stuff. And the Harley. And the Rupp minibike.

Good thing is my daughter just bought a house and one of the iceboats and the dune buggy will disappear with her. And the 1938 Oliver 70. And maybe the 10', 1940's vintage runabout with the Mercury 10 horse motor. I can only hope.

That should get me down to one semi load of stuff to move when the wife and I decide a trilevel ain't for old people.

35 Rem
04-18-2024, 06:01 PM
I'm going to move within a year to the farm where we are trying to build a house. I need to start taking a bucket or two of wheel weights each time I go on my regular trips up there. I've got a non-running car to either get running or have towed. A good amount of tools and other stuff in the detached garage. If I ever had to move off the farm with what is already up there, well, I would have to have a big auction 1st. There are 3 generations of tools and things there. One blessing is that there was no moving to do at all when my Grandfather and Father passed as I just kept everything where it was and kept right on using it as always. We have 5 tractors, a bunch of hay equipment, two good size barns full of tools, etc. A large shop with many tool chests and cabinets packed full, welder, torches, saws lathe/mill combo machine, even have a large grist mill that has been restored of all things. A belt driven hammer mill too for grinding grain to feed cattle of hogs. Several old trucks, a bunch of old V8 engines and transmissions, the list goes on and on. :) Moving is not even a distant thought once I get to the farm to live with what little I have at my present house.

jaysouth
04-18-2024, 11:45 PM
My will and estate trust name a 40 something caster/shooter/reloader/tinkerer/machinist/good friend to come to my house and remove all reloading equipment, dies, molds, lead, cast bullets, powder and primers (maybe 30K worth) for his personal use. My daughters are grateful.

ebb
04-19-2024, 08:46 PM
44Blam, I noticed your place of residence is Nashville IN. Do you know Clint from C&C surplus? I watch his videos all the time, he is the dozer master of the universe. He even mentioned on one of his videos that he was heading home to reload.

MrWolf
04-19-2024, 09:14 PM
I'm going to move within a year to the farm where we are trying to build a house. I need to start taking a bucket or two of wheel weights each time I go on my regular trips up there. I've got a non-running car to either get running or have towed. A good amount of tools and other stuff in the detached garage. If I ever had to move off the farm with what is already up there, well, I would have to have a big auction 1st. There are 3 generations of tools and things there. One blessing is that there was no moving to do at all when my Grandfather and Father passed as I just kept everything where it was and kept right on using it as always. We have 5 tractors, a bunch of hay equipment, two good size barns full of tools, etc. A large shop with many tool chests and cabinets packed full, welder, torches, saws lathe/mill combo machine, even have a large grist mill that has been restored of all things. A belt driven hammer mill too for grinding grain to feed cattle of hogs. Several old trucks, a bunch of old V8 engines and transmissions, the list goes on and on. :) Moving is not even a distant thought once I get to the farm to live with what little I have at my present house.

If you end up towing the car, you might be able to put some lead in it depending on the weight. Just a thought.