PDA

View Full Version : 357 uberti revolver bullet diameter.

Bird
12-17-2021, 09:50 AM
I picked up my new Uberti revolver in .357 mag yesterday, and started to figure out ammo for it. The chamber throat sizes measure at 0.367 diameter, yes that is correct, which is way over SAMMI spec.
Using .358 cast bullets even with gas checks is going to cause gas cutting and all kinds of mess. Does anyone have any experience with this in the Uberti's?
I will call them today and see what they say.

Thumbcocker
12-17-2021, 10:58 AM
Uberti should fix that.

mdi
12-17-2021, 11:58 AM
A critical dimention that is .008" to .009" oversize is too much. I too would contact manufacturer... I have 4 38/357 revolvers and most run about .3585".359" throat diameter...

Dusty Bannister
12-17-2021, 12:11 PM
With that much error in diameter, not to insult the op, but how does a cast or jacketed bullet look when dropped through the chamber? Any chance there is an error in the measuring equipment and was this with a slug passed through or calipers. That is alarmingly out of spec.

Bird
12-17-2021, 12:54 PM
With that much error in diameter, not to insult the op, but how does a cast or jacketed bullet look when dropped through the chamber? Any chance there is an error in the measuring equipment and was this with a slug passed through or calipers. That is alarmingly out of spec.

A 0.358 bullet drops through without touching the sides, and no errors in measuring. I contacted Taylors, and they said they don't have the info from Uberti about throat diameters, but they will contact them and find out.
I can't see what I currently have will work, and I have requested another cylinder of the correct size to SAMMI specs.

Char-Gar
12-17-2021, 02:31 PM
I don't see how a cylinder that far out of spec could get out of anybody's shop, but if it did, they should fix it. No excuse for that.

mehavey
12-17-2021, 10:28 PM
Both my My Uberti S&W#3's and their 44-40 SAA (also) effectively have no cylinder throat constriction.
They shoot cast (soft alloy PB) just fine.

Slug the barrel and size 0.002" over that.
Shoot it.

bedbugbilly
12-18-2021, 10:51 AM
Just for info - IIRC, my Uberti 357 Bisley has throats that measure right around .3595 - .3600. I have fired a lot of different designs of lead boolits from it - both soft lead and range lead - and have never sized any of them - just shoot them as they drop from the mold. They shoot just fine.

My 45 Colt uberti has generous chambers and I believe the throats are around .455 - .456 - it's been awhile since I checked them and the info is backing MI and I'm currently in AZ so don't have the info with me. Im shooting both 452 and .454 boolits (as they drop form themold)and it's a very accurate pistol.

If your throats are that large, then there is an issue somewhere along the line and Ubertiought to replace the cylinder. I own probably at least a dozen Uberti revolvers of various calibers/configurations and all are excellent firearms. Italy got hit pretty hard with the COVID and I wondered how it would affect such places as Uberti and Pietta. That said, I recently purchased three different Ubertis that date code shows were made in 2020and one made in 2021. I questioned if there may be a quality issue some sort or another but all are exceptional in quality. If your throats measure what you say they do - and I'm not questioning your ability to measure - then there was a screw up at the factory somehow as that cylinder never should have made it through QC - makes you wonder how many of them there are out there.

Good luck and hopefully Uberti will get a new cylinder to you quickly.

Bird
12-18-2021, 05:19 PM
I just ran a lead slug through a chambers, and it measured 0.3672. With calipers, the others are the same. No more foreign made guns for me, they look good, but the quality is not there.

FLINTNFIRE
12-18-2021, 08:35 PM
OK , I checked my Ubertis and they are a lot smaller , and shoot nice , you got a bad cylinder maybe maybe shoot it and see how it does , or not , I tend to try them out before I go by the internet advice or youtube , I have not had any extra work done on my rugers or semi autos either your milage may vary , maybe I get lucky and maybe I work around or fix what needs done and work with what I have .

A while ago you bought what you bought and made it work , tolerances were more and metal was less , but when it was yours it was yours as it was what you had at the time and not as much spendable income either .

I have no idea what you have into it , if they will not repair or replace , sell it . I just bought another the other day , I have no idea what throats are as I do not carry the measuring tools with me , I will check it with my cast see where they lay in throats and barrel and go from there , funny thing on my 9mm semis is my slugs drop at 358 + and I could use them in my 357 also .

Wish you luck on it anyway and wished there were never out of specifications turned loose on the consumer , I tend to like the older ones as they were not putting safety **** in them that I could not fix easy .

Anyway I would at least try it before sending back if it does not void warranty or return .

dangt
03-18-2022, 06:07 PM
I just found this somewhat older thread with search. I just purchased a newly made (2022 dated) Cattleman in .357 magnum. Throats were measured at .365 using gage pins on all six throats. Called Uberti and found out that was within Uberti's manufacturing tolerances; in fact, .366 is shown on their manufacturer's drawing as the desired diameter!

I've posted on two other furums and got comments indicating I was being OCD and overthinking the issue. I see in this thread that at least one owner has a Bisley .357 with throat size of .3695-.360". That is at least what I consider better than my gun's .365". I'll try shooting the gun and not return but may consider a different cylinder in a different caliber.

elmacgyver0
03-18-2022, 06:09 PM
I never did any measuring, I just shot mine, dead on accurate, ignorance is bliss.

lar45
03-18-2022, 10:43 PM
You are not overthinking it at all.
That measurement is way too large.
The only thing left to do is have it converted to 41 Special.
I do have a BFR in 45-410 that the throats are .468" ish with a .451" barrel. I called MR and they said it was throated that way for the 410.
I tried some 454 loads in it, 45 colt part of chamber is cut deep enough, and it actually shot fairly decent. It really needs to go back for a 460 cylinder.

dangt
03-20-2022, 02:16 PM
My preferred alternatives to the .41 Special suggestion is :
replace the cylinder with another .38 and/or .357,
replace barrel and cylinder with .44 Special,
replace barrel and cylinder with 44-40.

The two 44 calibers appeal most to me although if I keep it .38, I dont have to touch the barrel.

dangt
03-26-2022, 09:26 AM
I just solved my own gun's large throat dimension by ordering and receiving a different cylinder. This one is in .38 Special with throat sizes of .358". 38 Special is more to my liking anyway.