PDA

View Full Version : Factory "Hawken rifle" makes a great gift idea.

Sixgun Symphony
12-17-2021, 12:40 AM

This is how we get youth interested in traditional muzzle loading firearms. This is also how we preserve our hunting traditions and our 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

Sons, daughters, nieces, and nephews will love it. Don't wait until they are grown up, if you wait that long then they become liberals who are afraid of guns and don't like hunting. Take the kids hunting while they are still young.

Gtrubicon
12-17-2021, 01:03 AM
I agree 100%, my 16 year old son has no interest, he would rather shoot other rifles, I can’t get enough of muzzleloaders, I own and appreciate them all, but I really, really enjoy my muzzleloaders. I hope that one day he will also enjoy them, but I also remember when I was 16 and what I fancied then is somewhat different than now. I try to foster this right, hobby and addiction to anyone that I can. Keep up the good work wherever you can!

LAGS
12-17-2021, 01:10 AM
Funny thing that this thread came about today.
My wife and I were talking today about how thrilled our granddaughter was when I brought any of my muzzleloader guns.
She wants to look at them and hold them.
So I told my wife that I should build a working miniature BP rifle for the granddaughter.
She is almost 3 years old.
So I have plenty of time to come up with a design and all the parts to put it together.
I know she is going to love it once it is finished.

Sasquatch-1
12-17-2021, 09:05 AM

This is how we get youth interested in traditional muzzle loading firearms. This is also how we preserve our hunting traditions and our 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

Sons, daughters, nieces, and nephews will love it. Don't wait until they are grown up, if you wait that long then they become liberals who are afraid of guns and don't like hunting. Take the kids hunting while they are still young.

He'll put his eye out!:bigsmyl2:

Sixgun Symphony
12-18-2021, 10:14 PM
I agree 100%, my 16 year old son has no interest, he would rather shoot other rifles, I can’t get enough of muzzleloaders, I own and appreciate them all, but I really, really enjoy my muzzleloaders. I hope that one day he will also enjoy them, but I also remember when I was 16 and what I fancied then is somewhat different than now. I try to foster this right, hobby and addiction to anyone that I can. Keep up the good work wherever you can!

Get him the muzzleloader deer and elk tags and a .54 caliber percussion Hawken rifle from InvestArms or Pedersoli. He will learn that a traditional ML rifle will get the job done when he drops an elk with a patched ball from a Hawken rifle. He will also learn how to load, fire, and clean his weapon.

marshall623
12-19-2021, 11:01 AM
Agreed ,
When I was 11 or 12 there was a box under the tree that had my name on it . Inside was a 50 cal T/C Renagade and the rest is history . I still have that gun and will be hunting late ML season with it . I learned how to keep it clean early and knock on wood but I don't ever remember a single misfire . I believe that Renagade will turn 40 this Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

pietro
12-19-2021, 12:32 PM

Yep, I started my son shooting when he was 7, and my youngest daughter when she was 8 - her older sister got some firing in also, but was more interested in boys..... ;)

NLM
12-19-2021, 02:43 PM
I would have loved to have received that as a gift back in the day.

Adam Helmer
12-19-2021, 02:55 PM
Sixgun,

Great Thread! For the rest of the story, here it is: Many people receive MLs and other firearms for Christmas. Most are not rural residents and not gun club members. We old gun owners need to tell the local gunshop owners we will take new gun owners to our clubs as guests so they can shoot their guns. Keep it safe, fun and omit the gun control politics.

Many urban folks who acquire guns are not gun club members, but they want to shoot their new gun. Many clubs' membership rolls are closed and others have waiting lists. Others have high initiation fees, and high annual dues. We, old club members, are entitled to take one or two guests to our club range and should. There have been 12 to 20 million new gun owners in the last two years. Let us put them on our side by giving them an hour or two of safe and fun range time. Those who desire to shoot more can join the club. Either way, it is a win for us.

Adam

todd9.3x57
12-19-2021, 04:52 PM
when i was about 14yo, my dad got me for Christmas a right handed lyman deerstalker(i think) flintlock. i liked to hunt deer with it, but i am lefthanded. i jerked alot!!! when i was 17 or 18yo, i got a left hand lyman deerstalker flintlock and i shot it till i got "pull" out of system. i was 31 or 32yo when i got another one after i sold the lyman and i have for for quite a few years. then a couple of years ago at a auction, i pay $125 for a left handed cva hawkens flintlock in 50 cal. i needed to scrub inside of the barrel because of surface rust and i put on fiber optic sights. it can't do a maxi ball, but it luvs prb. (its a 1 in 48" twist) i had a problem with the patches, .015" patch you couldn't load, but a .010" patch you could do, but it limits you to 3 or 4 shots. i do a .005" patch and i still am loading it 12+ times. thats all i have loaded in tubes. i like 70gr of ffg and it goes into 1 1/2 - 2" at 50 yards (3 shots using a primos bipod, i'm disabled due to a stroke)

i would love to have a tvm southern flintlock rifle but unfortunately i lack the funds!!!!!!!!

Gtrubicon
12-19-2021, 10:46 PM
Get him the muzzleloader deer and elk tags and a .54 caliber percussion Hawken rifle from InvestArms or Pedersoli. He will learn that a traditional ML rifle will get the job done when he drops an elk with a patched ball from a Hawken rifle. He will also learn how to load, fire, and clean his weapon.He is very spoiled! He reloads with me, he shoots a lot of semi, lever and bolt guns and pistols very well. He just doesn’t like the slow pace of muzzleloaders like I do, right now he is into his tikka 6.5 creedmore, and any semi I will put in his hands. I get it, when I was his age I liked making piles of brass also.

Sixgun Symphony
12-23-2021, 04:01 AM
Sixgun,
... omit the gun control politics.

You really mean that you don't support the right to keep and bear arms? :veryconfu

Sixgun Symphony
12-23-2021, 04:07 AM
He is very spoiled! He reloads with me, he shoots a lot of semi, lever and bolt guns and pistols very well. He just doesn’t like the slow pace of muzzleloaders like I do, right now he is into his tikka 6.5 creedmore, and any semi I will put in his hands. I get it, when I was his age I liked making piles of brass also.

Change out the factory adjustable open sights on the factory Hawken rifles. Most of those have a wandering zero. Get the Williams FP-Hawken peep sight installed, it will greatly improve accuracy out to 200yds.

Then explain the "one shot challenge" for hunting.

A good story here. A young couple stopped at a gas station in a rural area near a reservation. They heard a shot in the woods, the old Indian man running the gas station said "Someone got a deer". Then they heard a second shot, the old Indian said "Mmm, maybe". Then came a third shot and the old Indian said, "Nope, That deer got away!"