PDA

View Full Version : iphone adapter for spotting scope

murf205
12-16-2021, 03:09 PM
Does anybody have an iphone adapter for a spotting scope? If so, what is your opinion of it and what is a good one to hold the phone steady for a pic. Breaking into the techno world is kinda ify for us old geezers but I like the idea of a 60x photo and digital enlargement on top of that! Thanks for any tips. Murf205

cwtebay
12-16-2021, 04:08 PM
My office gals got me one for Christmas last year, I love it! It's not a brand name one - purchased at sportsman's warehouse I believe. Use it on everything from microscope to binos to my spotting scope. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211216/84c06c232f8ebb2648748f818d6be7f2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

W.R.Buchanan
12-16-2021, 04:32 PM
I have seen these at the SHOT Show and they look to work pretty well. All they are is a Plastic adapter that holds the phone camera lens in front of the Eyepiece of the telescope. You see what the phone is seeing on the screen of the phone.

I think the Brand Name was "Phone Scope."

I'd kind of like one to play with and they aren't that expensive.( $60) I can see uses for it.

However after going to their site I found that they make about 1100 different versions that are "Model Specific" to about every Cell phone ever made! Real PITB to figure out what you need and for $60 you only get the Phone Adapter and you still need the Optic Adapter which is another $40! it is also specific and there's a bunch of them as well. IE way too many choices!!!

Then I found this one on Amazon and it works with just about everything and costs $20!

https://www.amazon.com/Spotting-Smartphone-Telescope-Binocular-Monocular/dp/B01ASY1HZE/ref=asc_df_B01ASY1HZE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309770125437&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6491754845295653230&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031623&hvtargid=pla-635266919670&psc=1

Looks like the one shown above! ^^^ Can't go wrong for $20 I just ordered one! This will save me so many trips going forward to take pics of groups on targets it's not even funny!

Randy

murf205
12-16-2021, 05:43 PM
Randy, that is one of the primary uses I want it for. This time of year, our range is pretty crowded and when I am finished shooting, a lot of guys are still at it so rather than have them wait for me to hobble down range and back, I could photo the targets and let the next round of shooters throw them in the trash.
Well I just measured the eyepiece on my Kowa spotter and it is 1.985" so the above adapter wont fit. Shucks!
I just went to the Gosky website and they have a larger model that is $40 on Amazon and they also make a remote button to plug into the phone to keep the wiggles down.

Bent Ramrod
12-17-2021, 09:23 AM
The one I have is from an outfit called S4 Gear. It cost $80, and paid for itself the first trip to the range. Can’t lure a spotter out there to save my life, and the other shooters don’t like to Cease Fire every time I want to make sure I’m on target at 300 or 500 m. With the S4 holder on my Konus Scope, I can video the misses and walk the shots in. It adjusts whatever smart phone is being used for windage and elevation so the camera lens looks through the eyepiece.

murf205
12-17-2021, 10:08 AM
The one I have is from an outfit called S4 Gear. It cost $80, and paid for itself the first trip to the range. Can’t lure a spotter out there to save my life, and the other shooters don’t like to Cease Fire every time I want to make sure I’m on target at 300 or 500 m. With the S4 holder on my Konus Scope, I can video the misses and walk the shots in. It adjusts whatever smart phone is being used for windage and elevation so the camera lens looks through the eyepiece.

Now that is a great idea. Try as I might, spotting my own shots eludes me too especially when shooting a heavy caliber handgun at the 100 yd gong.

Green Frog
12-17-2021, 10:51 AM
Has anyone tried one of those super powered scopes specifically made to go on a cell phone? I’ve seen the advertised all over the InterWeb, but never had one in hand. They are pretty small and would be more convenient than carrying a full sized spotting scope, but “If it looks too good to be true, it probably is!”

Froggie

murf205
12-18-2021, 09:29 AM
From what I read, the small hand held scopes are hard to hold still while trying to use the shutter on the cell phone. Since I started this search, I have seen a remote shutter cable that plugs into my iphone and keeps you(me) from blurring the shot with wiggles. I found one for my phone on at Phone Skope that is dedicated to the eyepiece of my spotter and a dedicated cell phone holder. I carry a tripod to the range with me for the spotter anyway but those small scopes you mentioned would sure be handy if I could manipulate the phone and scope together but my primary use would be taking target pics.

W.R.Buchanan
12-22-2021, 06:40 PM
So I just got my adapter in the mail. $20! This thing was so easy to hook up it was scary. I clamped it to my 10x50 Vortex Binos as that was the quickest thing to get my hands on. It took me @ 3 minutes to figure this thing out completely.

Got this picture of a Powerline Transformer down the street from me. This was me handholding the whole set up and then zooming in on the Transformer which was @60-75 yards away from me. Not very steady but if connected to a tripod it would be, and yet the image was still OK?

Sorry about the orientation but I'm having problems rotating pics saved from my Cell Phone. Just turn your head sideways!

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
12-23-2021, 03:05 PM
Well it appears that my computer will no longer rotate saved photos. Everything must be sideways to post.

So you're jsut gonna have to get used to twisting your head 90* to see pictures of mine.

Like I said this thing is so worth $20 it is scary. Will get lots of use out of it.

Randy

oley55
12-23-2021, 05:38 PM
keep us posted, I'm wondering how the spastic iPhone auto-focus fingers out what it's looking at through a magnifier. Wondering if your transformer pic is a focus or steadiness issue. It looks more like focus.

murf205
12-23-2021, 09:29 PM
Randy, do you use the remote shutter button? I think it plugs into the earphone jack on an iphone.

GregLaROCHE
12-24-2021, 01:17 AM
That’s the first time I’ve heard about them. They sound interesting.

Wolfdog91
12-24-2021, 05:28 AM
No iphone but I got this deal offa Amazon and love it. Made by Orion almost completely made of aluminum
https://i.postimg.cc/8FjXmydK/IMG-20211117-121422086-HDR.jpg (https://postimg.cc/8FjXmydK)
https://i.postimg.cc/BjhwDWFP/IMG-20211117-121413447.jpg (https://postimg.cc/BjhwDWFP)

https://youtu.be/yWHeDGY_G_g

Land Owner
12-24-2021, 07:18 AM
Got a link to that wolfdog91?

Wolfdog91
12-24-2021, 07:47 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Orion-5338-SteadyPix-Deluxe-Camera/dp/B0069VXY7K#

Still need to buy one of the little phone to tripod holder thingys but you can get a good one for less then $10. I will say though using a phone with this I have to put I pice of black duct tape over the side so I don't have the sun bouncing of the spotting Scopes lense into my camera

murf205
12-24-2021, 11:51 AM
That’s the first time I’ve heard about them. They sound interesting.

I hadn't heard of them either until I started snooping for this endeavor. They make one that is bluetooth and you don't have to plug the cable into the phone. One of my first questions about phone/spotting scope connections was how is a bumbling old geezer like me going to touch the shutter button without blurring the shot?Evidently (and fortunately) some software engineer was way ahead of me

andrew375
12-24-2021, 02:26 PM
Randy, do you use the remote shutter button? I think it plugs into the earphone jack on an iphone.

Or simply use the timer. Set it for 2 seconds or whatever and let the phone take the picture itself.

W.R.Buchanan
12-24-2021, 05:50 PM

I was holding the whole mess with my left hand and hitting the button with my right thumb.

I need more info on this remote shutter release have you got a link?

I'm gonna hook it up to my Spotting Scope today and see how that works out. I've got several Telescopes I can try this thing on.

Randy

murf205
12-24-2021, 06:27 PM
Randy, it is on Amazon. For some reason my computer will not let me copy and paste it here.

murf205
12-24-2021, 06:29 PM
Randy, it is on Amazon. For some reason my computer will not let me copy and paste it here. It is called a Xenvo Shutterbug. There is a cheaper one but the reviews are a bit sketchy for it. Sorry for the 2x post293590

W.R.Buchanan
12-25-2021, 01:58 PM
Thanks I'll look into it.

Randy