PDA

View Full Version : Seems Ironic

tred1956
12-15-2021, 03:31 PM
Had a good week. Received both H4350 (8lbs ) and Varget (3lbs) from Powder Valley. Needed both for two new aquired rifles. But couldn't help but chuckle when I saw what was printed on the Hodgdon Box (SEE PICTURE) A Fond memeory from earlier Times. Figured we could all use a Good Laugh or a Good Cry ;)

From me and Mine to You and Yours Merry Christmas to all

Doug

https://i.postimg.cc/C1hT37fv/16395961024572934970403741523499.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Z9MM3rH3)

Sam Sackett
12-15-2021, 11:14 PM
Looks like you got lucky.

I’d like to follow that advice, but my store of powder isn’t big enough to rotate!

Sam Sackett

Land Owner
12-16-2021, 07:55 AM
Powder purchased from a reloader's estate, an early licensee, whose FFL allowed him professional courtesy as well as bulk discounted purchase, repackaged (in 1972, '76' and '78), sealed, and distributed various powders to his select club of shooters. Those sealed powders remain as energetic, accurate, and consistent as their 2020 namesake equivalents.

Boxcar quantities of sealed powder, especially surplus military powder, was the source of more than one startup reloading business. There is no "expiration date" for powder kept sealed, dry, and cool - even after opening. The seal is everything.

"Rotating stock" isn't as important in firearm and reloading supplies as say new cars, which Auto Mfg's work especially HARD to discourage all but their LATEST, and the Produce Department of every grocer in America.

elk hunter
12-16-2021, 10:35 AM
Powder of post WW-2 manufacture is very stable if properly stored. Powders made before and during WW-2 can and do deteriorate and can spontaneously ignite even if properly stored. According to what I've read the hurried production of powder during the war did not remove all of the acid used in the manufacture of the powder which can cause the powder to deteriorate. I've seen a number of cans of old pre WW-2 powder that were rusted enough, due to acid leaching, that you couldn't pick them up as they would fall apart. In 2015 I had 16 pounds of surplus 4831 cook off and the resulting fire took the roof off my shop/garage and filled the house with smoke. We lived in a motel for months. Check your stored powder frequently and discard any that smells of acid. I had pulled the bad powder from my powder storage and set it outside intending to destroy it but it cooked off before I got back to it. Lessen learned.

Green Frog
12-16-2021, 12:18 PM
Looks like you got lucky.

I’d like to follow that advice, but my store of powder isn’t big enough to rotate!

Sam Sackett

Sure it is, SS! I rotate the tires on my car… by driving it down the road. You can rotate your powder stock by turning each bottle or jug in its place on the shelf. :bigsmyl2: