PDA

View Full Version : Networking pays off

Budzilla 19
12-15-2021, 11:52 AM
Rolled up to a scrapyard I deal with, young man says, “ you got any use for these?”

So, after a little negotiations took place, I rolled out with 27 pounds of already cast 3585” lead boolits! At a very good deal of a $1 per pound price. Yeah, I snatched them up quick, fast, and in a hurry!
Not bragging, just posting to let people know that, establishing a relationship with your friends always pays off! Make those connections, they really pay off sometimes.293150

lightman
12-15-2021, 10:05 PM
I've been preaching (promoting) networking for a long while. It really does work. Its not always instant, it sometimes takes time for it to produce. But be warned, it can continue after you are no longer needful!

Nice pile of bullets by the way!

Budzilla 19
12-15-2021, 10:18 PM
lightman, thank you! I just put the word out, and then, it started slowly trickling in, you know what I mean, sometimes it’s a lot, then nothing for a month, then, wham! A load! It’s going to be fun loading these boolits, for sure.

I’ve found a few cast boolits before, but, nothing like this quantity!

RogerDat
12-16-2021, 12:46 PM
Show your appreciation for the deal and the guy will talk about it. Expanding your potential network in ways you can't know in advance. I have a lifetime supply of shot (at least for me) because when the guy set aside some old bags of shot for me I let him know how much I appreciated it at the time and dropping off a $6 pizza on Saturday.

Those guys were a steady supply of old shot after that. I bought it even when I really didn't feel like I needed more shot. But that relationship lead to other things being set aside that I might be interested in.

People may forget exactly what you did but people seldom forget how you make them feel. Appreciated is a feeling that leaves an impression.

Soundguy
12-16-2021, 12:52 PM
Nice find. I usually tip my scrap guy a bit. He looks out for me..finds me lead..calls me..etc.

Yup..networking is good.

Budzilla 19
12-16-2021, 04:09 PM
Soundguy, Roger Dat, I tipped the man well! Now when I show up, he says,” come see if you can use this “ They never buy sodas or pizza , that’s for sure!

I just appreciate them, and I show it when I can.

SoonerEd
01-14-2022, 11:35 PM
I take the workers and owner occational deer sausage. They now keep a bucket with my name on it to dump wheel weights where they have been sorted and the steel clips removed. Been getting 100-150 lbs per month at 65 cents per lb.

farmbif
01-15-2022, 01:13 PM
yup, I love scrap yards. that was a great find, last pile of cast bullets I found were wadcutters that were aloxed and a bit more than a gallon ziplock bag but they had been dropped in sand so had to melt them down.

wwmartin
01-15-2022, 01:29 PM
My brother in law delivers isotope meds to the area med facilities for the local isotope pharmacy . I have more than I need but don't turn any down. Around #350 a year at a fixed $.50 a pound. Lately it's all been the 20oz bevel. No paint, clean, no smelting. Add to the pot as needed. 10.5 BHN , what's not to like.

Bill

Bakebfr480
01-15-2022, 04:07 PM
Are you going to clean them before you lubricate them?

Budzilla 19
01-15-2022, 07:33 PM
Bakebfr480, yessir I’m going to clean them up, powder coat them,size to .358” and go loadin’! I rarely use alox type lubes anymore, but when I do, it’s mostly BLL over some factory lube. Powder coat almost 100% now. I’ve washed them twice now, clean and ready to go!

Chaparral66
01-15-2022, 07:47 PM
I've put the word out and now have tire guy suppling me and my mail man that does house cleanouts on the side. Currently talking with a local roofing guy for his scrap. And then there are the 6% antimony pieces of x-ray shielding from discontinued x-ray power supplies and discarded 63/37 tin lead from our wave solder machine. Might need to sell some before SWMBO complains.

beagle
01-16-2022, 12:08 PM
Lead is where you find it and sometimes in stray places. Got a friend that works for the water department. Has to test the town's water supply on a periodic basis. After the test, he has to seal the port with a lead seal that's about the size of a .25 cent piece. Over the years, he saved all the used ones and gave me about 5 pounds. Made good .38 bullets. You never know where it will pop up./beagle