PDA

View Full Version : DIY style two-ball 20ga

hondamikek
12-15-2021, 04:23 AM
Just wanted to share with you guys, as we've had excellent results with these for hog, deer, or just raising hell.

Came into possession of several boxes of 20ga Win Super X 1oz #5 shot. Just carefully pry the crimp and dump the shot.. replace with two Hornady .530" muzzle loader roundballs. Recrimp, rock and roll. Yes, these fit just fine in the existing wad.. and the difference in payload is miniscule like 18 grain I think? They shoot awesome and have decent accuracy at 25yds(all I tried).. haven't had access to a chrono, but hopefully soon. Between me and buddies we have gone thru about 60-70 of these so far, and no blowouts or weird **** with the hulls. Seems to be totally safe.

Hope some of you can put this info to use! Figure $15 for a box of 100 Hornady balls.. hell of a lot more fun than normal #5 game load at the gravel pits.

Grayone
12-23-2021, 10:36 AM
Just wanted to share with you guys, as we've had excellent results with these for hog, deer, or just raising hell.

Came into possession of several boxes of 20ga Win Super X 1oz #5 shot. Just carefully pry the crimp and dump the shot.. replace with two Hornady .530" muzzle loader roundballs. Recrimp, rock and roll. Yes, these fit just fine in the existing wad.. and the difference in payload is miniscule like 18 grain I think? They shoot awesome and have decent accuracy at 25yds(all I tried).. haven't had access to a chrono, but hopefully soon. Between me and buddies we have gone thru about 60-70 of these so far, and no blowouts or weird **** with the hulls. Seems to be totally safe.

Hope some of you can put this info to use! Figure $15 for a box of 100 Hornady balls.. hell of a lot more fun than normal #5 game load at the gravel pits.

Good info. Thank you.

missionary5155
12-23-2021, 11:03 AM
We have been doing the same with 12 gauge field loads and a .685 soft RB. Out penetrates many slugs and only costs 25 cents to shoot.

Petander
12-23-2021, 01:14 PM
Yep those are what I call "Economy slugs".

In 20 gauge trap loads I cut the crimp, pour the shot out, put in a cork and one ball. Roll crimp tight.

Puts ten balls in 3-4" / 35 meters / red dot / rifled choke. I just found a target pic from couple of years ago.

In 12 I do the same without cork, just put a Lyman style pellet slug in the cup. Or a .690 ball.

Cheap short range practise slugs.

I never got double balls accurate enough though.