PDA

View Full Version : Best Iron Sight System for Tiring Eyes......

Dak47
12-14-2021, 11:57 PM
Probably been beat to death but what iron sights are the best for a traditional flinter for a set of aging eyes? At 57, still not bad but I can see the subscription moving a bit. I don't use glasses as much as possible and I run tri-progressives. I thought to get a distance only pair but where does that leave the sights? I think I'm still better with the naked eye but, what have y'all been doing to combat this BS?

indian joe
12-15-2021, 06:36 AM
Probably been beat to death but what iron sights are the best for a traditional flinter for a set of aging eyes? At 57, still not bad but I can see the subscription moving a bit. I don't use glasses as much as possible and I run tri-progressives. I thought to get a distance only pair but where does that leave the sights? I think I'm still better with the naked eye but, what have y'all been doing to combat this BS?

cut em coarse, one of my competition guns wears a front blade close to 3/16" wide - big wide square notch at the back - you will shoot much better with something you can see. set the back sight a few inches farther down the barrel helps too.

Shawlerbrook
12-15-2021, 07:27 AM
I find a peep or aperture sight placed as close to the eye as possible and a gold or ivory front bead or even front fire sight.

beagle74
12-15-2021, 07:29 AM
I prefer plain square cut partridge sights. I just cut the rear sight a lil wider to give me more light. Perfect for the ranges I shoot a muzzleloader.

carbine
12-15-2021, 08:15 AM
went to a peep sight with a post front 35 years ago. Really helped

Trapper-Jack
12-15-2021, 09:01 AM
My wife and I shoot where only open sights are allowed. We went with a full buckhorn rear sight. It seems to help frame in the front sight and target like a peep would. I too shoot a coarser front sight, more so than my wife. I sighted in her rifle with a buckhorn the other day and really had to work to see the front blade.

kungfustyle
12-15-2021, 09:02 AM
Peeps work great, so do Williams fire sights. I have the fire sights on my Hawken's and it doesn't detract from the look. They are affordable too. https://shop.williamsgunsight.com/ecommerce/c/long-gun-sights-844

hc18flyer
12-15-2021, 09:36 AM
My brother and I really like the Williams Fire Sights on our caplocks. hc18flyer

GregLaROCHE
12-15-2021, 10:51 AM
I would go for a diopter sight. A peep sight is not necessary a diopter. The opening has to be less than 1mm for the true diopter effect to happen. When it does, it’s amazing how clear the sight picture becomes. I used a peep sight on a 45/70 for years and then was amazed at the difference with a real diopter on a Swedish target rifle I bought.

Hickok
12-15-2021, 11:15 AM
For me, shooting targets vs hunting differs in the sights I prefer. When simply target shooting, I prefer peep sight with a black square post. (M1 Garand, M1A, AR15 sight picture), using a 6 o'clock hold. When the sunlight/cloud cover changes I do better with this type of sight.

BUT, when hunting, I prefer peeps with a green fiber-optic/ firesight. For low light shooting at deer, coyotes, etc, I can pick up the sights better. I realize it is easy to add some paint to front sights to brighten them up for hunting, but the fire sights seem to give off a glow even in dawn to dusk conditions.

It really is a "give and take" for me,...gain in one option, loose in the other.:rolleyes:

waksupi
12-15-2021, 02:43 PM
I put wider front sights on, widened rear sight notch, and made sure I had light on both sides of the front sight when
I looked through the rear notch.

Then I got cataracts removed and welded up the rear notches, and narrowed the front sights again!

LAGS
12-15-2021, 03:16 PM
I went with the Hi Viz sights up to the point I had my cataracts removed and corrective surgery done.
Now on most rifles , I reinstalled the original sights except for the ones set aside for hunting in low light conditions.

todd9.3x57
12-15-2021, 04:36 PM
i use fiber optics on my flintlock. rifles are aperture sights.

https://rmcoxyoke.com/product/rmc-aim-right-fiber-optic-muzzleloader-sights/

ShooterAZ
12-15-2021, 04:58 PM
I have the Lyman 57sml on a 54 Cal caplock, and a Firesight front sight. This combination works extremely well for me. You can also get different sized apertures for it which makes it pretty flexible depending on what you do. My eyes aint' what they used to be either, and this setup really helped me a lot.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman-57sml-and-57gpr-receiver-sights

Winger Ed.
12-15-2021, 05:32 PM
I've become a big fan of those open sights with the little colored fiber optic thing in them.
I put True-Glow ones on my Henry .22, and really like 'em.

Hick
12-15-2021, 07:08 PM
I have good distance vision but need glasses for inside 4 feet-- So I use a peep sight on the rear and an aperture (globe) sight on the front. With my vision it is easy to see the target crisply through two holes.

panhed65
12-15-2021, 07:27 PM
I like a square front and rear sight, am 73 now and can still shoot my tc renegades pretty well, had a hawken, did not shoot well with the bead sight. works for me, and I get to try again, Dec. 27 opens Pa flintlock. my favorite deer season. and we don't have to wear funny colored clothing for it.
Barry

ihunts2much
12-15-2021, 09:42 PM
I set up one of my slug guns with a skinner peep and blade. Works awesome. May want to look at his sights.

charlie b
12-15-2021, 11:35 PM
I have good distance vision but need glasses for inside 4 feet-- So I use a peep sight on the rear and an aperture (globe) sight on the front. With my vision it is easy to see the target crisply through two holes.

This is what I use. I use a circular aperture that is just a little larger than the bull on the target (I don't hunt). It is still a bit difficult for me to be accurate but I can manage 2-3" groups at 100yd with it.

ogre
12-15-2021, 11:49 PM
cut em coarse, set the back sight a few inches farther down the barrel helps too.

I went this route as my eyes aged, for the worse, over the years. My rear sight is now closer to the muzzle than my front sight.

Geezer in NH
12-22-2021, 08:38 PM
Same sights that were on my .54 FL just moved the rear sight forward towards the muzzle 8 inches. I can see it again!!!!