PDA

View Full Version : New RCBS 505 scale?

leadhead
12-14-2021, 05:00 PM
Anyone have or use the new RCBS 505 powder scale? I've noticed the new ones don't
have the + or - markings on the pointer marker. Probably to save money. How is the
quality otherwise? Are they just as accurate as he older ones? Thanks for any info.
Denny

fc60
12-14-2021, 08:13 PM
Greetings,

A lot of the current RCBS tools are being outsourced to Communist China.

I did find a Made In USA RCBS ten pound casting pot at the local store.

Watch eBay for Ohaus, Lyman, and RCBS scales. You may find what you are looking for.

Also, scales show up on the Swapping and Selling portion of this forum.

Look for one in the original box with all the accessories. Odds are it will have seen little use.

Cheers,

Dave

oley55
12-14-2021, 11:24 PM
Anyone have or use the new RCBS 505 powder scale? I've noticed the new ones don't
have the + or - markings on the pointer marker. Probably to save money. How is the
quality otherwise? Are they just as accurate as he older ones? Thanks for any info.
Denny

sent you a PM about a M500 vs a 505.

gwpercle
12-15-2021, 07:34 PM
I found a used 5-0-5 , made in the USA , on e-bay ...no box but complete and in good condition for about 1/3 the cost of a new 5-0-5 .
Midway USA shows new , made in USA 5-0-5 , in stock for $99.99
e-bay has a couple , used USA made , nearly new , $50.00
I checked one e-bay scale and it is a nice USA made model .

I like the devil out of my 5-0-5 ...beats the old oil dampened Redding #1 I had Seven Ways To Sunday !
Gary

fc60
12-15-2021, 11:28 PM
Greetings,

I just checked MidwayUSA and the users comments say MADE IN CHINA. Where did you find MADE IN USA on the Midway site?

Cheers,

Dave

I found a used 5-0-5 , made in the USA , on e-bay ...no box but complete and in good condition for about 1/3 the cost of a new 5-0-5 .
Midway USA shows new , made in USA 5-0-5 , in stock for $99.99
e-bay has a couple , used USA made , nearly new , $50.00
I checked one e-bay scale and it is a nice USA made model .

I like the devil out of my 5-0-5 ...beats the old oil dampened Redding #1 I had Seven Ways To Sunday !
Gary

1hole
12-16-2021, 12:41 AM
Gary

IIRC, Redding was the first to offer a reloading scale with any kind of damping at all; a thin metal paddle dipped in a puddle of thin oil was much better than no damping at all. But the oil tended to be messy and surface tension on the oil in the small damping cavity pulled on the paddle a little and that could affect the accuracy a tad.

Ohaus was a giant in the small scale business in those days (mid 1960s). They were the first I know of to add magnetic damping to scale beams and it quickly became the standard feature, thank God! I have no use for undamped OR oil damped powder scales. (Or digitals.)

Ohaus has sold many powder scales in several models and under their own name plus at least Lyman and RCBS; they are ALL great tools.

Taterhead
12-18-2021, 01:26 AM
RCBS did not make the 505. Ohaus did, and even they eventually outsourced production. The most recent re-release of the 505 by Ohaus is now made by a Chinese contractor. Ohaus is completely out of reloading scale manufacturing, as confirmed to me by their office.

Best to find an old USA made RCBS branded 505 or Ohaus. The good news is that many were made so they are around on the classified sites. I recently acquired a new, old stock locally for a spare 505 to complement my Ohaus 10-10. The 505s are very handy and reliable scales.

leadhead
12-18-2021, 11:23 AM
I just bought a Dillon Eliminator scale that is made by Ohaus and looks just like the 505.
The base is different, but the beam setup is the same. Same scale from what I see.
Denny