PDA

View Full Version : Where to find lead 40-65 bullets

Logangrimnar
12-14-2021, 12:12 PM
As the title say,
I'm trying to find lead bullets for a badger barreled ruger #1 in 40-65. The barrel slugs at .408 and the original owner says .410 shoot the best. I'm looking for .409 or .410 and see nothing but backorder. Also, can't find brass but could work some 45/70 so not as worried about that. If anyone's got a lead on the lead let me know.

cwtebay
12-14-2021, 12:21 PM
I have used the ones offered by Graf's in the past, and the copper plated as well.
I have mostly used moulds made for 41 magnum bullets - since you're looking for 0.410" that should work great!
(Disclaimer - I use them in loading 401 WSL which is the same diameter).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

FLINTNFIRE
12-14-2021, 03:08 PM
I bought my mold from RCBS , sorry no info as I am at work , and RCBS has updated their system so I can no longer look back on orders , they still have it listed as in stock , I also have a Saeco mold I got with my 40-90 Sharps Straight .

Logangrimnar
12-14-2021, 06:01 PM
I would love to make them myself. I just don't have time right now so I was hoping to buy them from a company but it seems harder Tham anticipated

Old Caster
12-14-2021, 06:46 PM
I would love to make them myself. I just don't have time right now so I was hoping to buy them from a company but it seems harder Tham anticipated

Where do you live. I have a fair amount of them because a friend of mine and I used to shoot BPCR in a very competitive fashion. I made them for he and I and when he died I got a bunch back plus I had some for myself and no longer shoot them Without looking I have some that are 385 grain and some 410. The 385 that I originally had were Lyman and they shot real well up to the turkey distances but for the ram, I had to go to the heavier ones. I won a mold from some big time mold maker that I can't remember the name of and had him make me a custom mold just like the Lyman because the Lyman nose was not perfectly round in my estimation. Amazingly the Lyman shot better but I imagine it was a tiny bit different and it mattered in my gun. They are lubed with Black powder lube and I guess it would be possible to send them but they are perfect ladle cast and categorized according to weight and I would be afraid of them getting messed up in shipping. I live in Chesterfield Mo which is 20 miles west of St. Louis

Logangrimnar
12-14-2021, 07:34 PM
Old caster,
That is an incredible offer. I live in the northern tip of Illinois so not really a drive able distance. I do appreciate the offer. I'd certainly pay for some plus shipping if you figure a good way to send them

Wayne Smith
12-15-2021, 09:50 AM
Go to your range and find the plastic/Styrofoam .40/45 pistol round containers. Put a boolit in each, wrap them up, and you can ship safely.

Logangrimnar
12-15-2021, 11:26 AM
Where do you live. I have a fair amount of them because a friend of mine and I used to shoot BPCR in a very competitive fashion. I made them for he and I and when he died I got a bunch back plus I had some for myself and no longer shoot them Without looking I have some that are 385 grain and some 410. The 385 that I originally had were Lyman and they shot real well up to the turkey distances but for the ram, I had to go to the heavier ones. I won a mold from some big time mold maker that I can't remember the name of and had him make me a custom mold just like the Lyman because the Lyman nose was not perfectly round in my estimation. Amazingly the Lyman shot better but I imagine it was a tiny bit different and it mattered in my gun. They are lubed with Black powder lube and I guess it would be possible to send them but they are perfect ladle cast and categorized according to weight and I would be afraid of them getting messed up in shipping. I live in Chesterfield Mo which is 20 miles west of St. Louis

Old caster
I sent you a private message.

Tom Myers
12-15-2021, 12:25 PM
Try Buffalo Arms

https://www.buffaloarms.com/41-cal-410-210-gr-xtpr-hor41000.html

https://www.buffaloarms.com/409-410-grain-quality-hand-c-61740-409.html

https://www.buffaloarms.com/409-diameter-370-grain-quali-61640-409.html

Hope this helps

Logangrimnar
12-16-2021, 11:48 AM
Thank you for the information!!!

gwpercle
12-16-2021, 12:08 PM
A Ruger #1 in 40-65 ... SWEET !
Could you ask for a more perfect deer & hog hunting and just plain fun shooting Single Shot Rife ...
I can't ! Nice Score Logan , hope you find boolits !
Gary

Logangrimnar
12-18-2021, 04:34 PM
It is really nice. I can't wait to shoot it

45-70 Chevroner
12-18-2021, 05:07 PM
As the title say,
I'm trying to find lead bullets for a badger barreled ruger #1 in 40-65. The barrel slugs at .408 and the original owner says .410 shoot the best. I'm looking for .409 or .410 and see nothing but backorder. Also, can't find brass but could work some 45/70 so not as worried about that. If anyone's got a lead on the lead let me know.

Old caster
I sent you a private message.

If you have a seal A meal machine it works great to protect boolits. I have shipped them that way with some newspaper cushioning.