PDA

View Full Version : Uberti High Wall trigger spring

fn1889m
12-14-2021, 03:31 AM
I have a Uberti Highwall in 45 LC, purchased from Taylor. The trigger pull weight is very light. The trigger moves freely (flops around), and the trigger spring does not appear to engage until after the sear releases the hammer, or about the same point as the rifle fires, and then only enough to act as a stop on the trigger. It appears the sear has a separate spring. I am not unhappy with the trigger. I only use this as a target gun, but based on complaints I’ve heard about heavy trigger wts, I wonder if the trigger and spring are not set up right. I called Uberti USA and described the question and they did not seem concerned.

I think there is spring action on the trigger to keep it forward enough to engage the sear, but the parts diagram shows a flat spring, and with the hammer held back it is obvious that there is no spring weight on the trigger until the sear releases the hammer.

So my question, if anyone else has a single trigger Uberti 1885, do you have a floppy trigger, cocked or not? Or is there a constant spring pressure on the trigger even when the gun is not cocked?

I am able to disassemble the firearm and inspect, but if this is normal, I’d rather not.

Wayne Smith
12-15-2021, 10:20 AM
Don't know where you are, but contact Taylor. They have a gunsmith there who should be able to answer your question.

fn1889m
12-15-2021, 04:29 PM
Don't know where you are, but contact Taylor. They have a gunsmith there who should be able to answer your question.

Contacted Uberti and they were oblivious to the issue.

I may just take it apart. I suspect the screw holding the flat trigger spring is backed out.

Green Frog
12-19-2021, 02:48 PM
Notice Wayne said contact Taylor, not Uberti. While Taylor is “only” a distributor for Uberti, they seem to have their act together and be willing to be helpful. Their in-house gunsmith should be able to get things right, especially since the rifle was sold under their name as well as that of Uberti. Also, they are a relatively small operation that seems to genuinely care.

Froggie