PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894 Chamber Problem

PJEagle
12-13-2021, 09:50 PM
Can the chamber be relined? An overload expanded the chamber, but the barrel is fine. After replacing the bolt group the rifle functions fine with mid-range 357 loads, but the brass expands too much.

cwtebay
12-13-2021, 10:23 PM
Following, just took in a 44 mag with the same issue.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Baltimoreed
12-13-2021, 10:26 PM
Not a gunsmith but I don’t think you can. Believe that the chamber will need to be cut off, new bbl threads cut and the bbl rechambered. Of course the magazine tube and forearm will get shorter. What happens if you just use .38 spcl?

Winger Ed.
12-13-2021, 10:29 PM
I don't see getting out of that one without fitting a new barrel.

JimB..
12-13-2021, 10:52 PM
If it expands too much to feed, then you need to do something, but if it still feeds can you just neck size and call it good enough? Not a “solution” to be sure.

cwtebay
12-13-2021, 11:39 PM
Would it be possible to rechamber to 38-40? Of course a barrel change would be necessary as well, not sure if the same extractor either.
I was thinking of going to 45 Colt with this 44 mag, but looks like a whole lot of changes. Going to the GS Saturday to see about a possible chamber sleeve (didn't know such a bird existed).

John Taylor
12-14-2021, 09:38 AM
The chamber can be sleeved but I would be concerned where the bulge is. Most lever guns have a thin area where the mag tube is and this is weak area in the barrel. Might be best to set the barrel back. Going to 38-40 will not work as the bullet diameter is .401 and it would be a bit hard to get it down a .357 bore. Also the mag tube may not work with the larger diameter rim.

rockrat
12-14-2021, 05:33 PM
Maybe a re-line would work for you

Nobade
12-14-2021, 06:35 PM
If it did that to the chamber I would pull the barrel and check the receiver for cracks before going too far.

PJEagle
12-14-2021, 11:04 PM
I would like to thank each of you for your helpful suggestions. Loading rounds from the feed tube feels just the same as it did in the past. My main concern is that it takes a little more pressure on the lever to extract the fired brass from the chamber. I am going to test some more HP-38 loads in the Marlin and the same loads in my Henry single shot and then measure the fired brass for a comparison. Actual data is always better than a guess. Then I will decide my next step.

The bolt assembly broke and releived most of the extra pressure from the chamber and barrel. I will report back with my measurements after testing, but it will probably be a couple of months before I find a warm day when I have time to make it to the range.

samari46
12-15-2021, 02:24 AM
If the bolt broke, I would suggest getting the headspace checked as well. Frank

dverna
12-15-2021, 10:18 AM
You are a braver man than I. I would not shoot it.

2152hq
12-15-2021, 07:42 PM
If the overload 'broke the bolt' and 'bulged the chamber',, I'd pull the bbl and do a close examination of the bbl at the breech end and that of the frame & threads.
The frame and it's bbl threads for possible cracks or other damage from the bulged bbl.
Metal expands and has to move somewhere.

Broken Bolt can be a lot of things but having to replace it to 'fix' the problem means it must have been damaged pretty good.
The locking bolt at the rear of the breech bolt would be suspect as well for damage as would be the support channel in the frame that it slides in.
Headspace and just the fact that things are still in allaignment would be something to look for.

If everything checks out,,
A bulge in the chamber area from an overload,,, I'd consider a new bbl
or setting it back and rechambering.
Both remove that weakened area from the overload.

Geezer in NH
12-18-2021, 03:40 AM
You are a braver man than I. I would not shoot it.
I am with you on that.

Baltimoreed
12-19-2021, 10:14 PM
If the bbl is bulged at the chamber will it even unscrew out of the recvr without cracking it? Thinking you might want to use light loads and live with it. Cowboy action shooters who shoot .38s only use light loads.

rockrat
12-19-2021, 11:29 PM
I would send it somewhere to have it disassembled and Magnafluxed to check for cracks in the receiver.

Jedman
12-19-2021, 11:36 PM
Man that must have been quite a overload as the shank size on your M 1894 is the same size as the M 1895 in 45-70 . Numrich use to have replacement barrels in 357 mag for the 1894 but a friend of mine bought about a half of dozen of them about 5-6 years ago and I believe they have been out of stock since.
With that much pressure you would probably have quite a job getting the barrel out of the receiver and like was said there may be other damage to the gun. I don’t know of a fix that would be worthwhile, maybe it would be best to sell it all for parts as you can usually do quite well parting out a gun but it’s a lot of bother.

Jedman

john.k
12-22-2021, 10:15 PM
I have always wondered if electroless nickle plate could be used to repair a chamber .......not just the OPs ,which IMHO has trashed the action,but all the gouged and scored chambers...and rust pitted too...not to mention those little issues where a chip scores a chamber being reamed.

beechbum444
12-24-2021, 02:26 AM
im a big 1894 marlin fan, ive had a few apart .....kinda with the above thinkers...not sure how the barrel could bulge at the chamber and not stress crack the receiver, but im not an engineer.....the barrels screw really far back into the receiver. anyways..........hope the project works out for you, if you ever part that thing out for safety reasons, im always on the look out for parts to these rifles, just not the receiver, that can be a desk paper weight , regards

cwtebay
12-24-2021, 03:55 AM
Update on my bulged chamber - it is a fairly effective, though expensive, paper weight! Barrel is bulged into the threads, a hairline crack extends a couple of inches up the barrel, and there is something wrong with the bolt that I'm not clear about. Needless to say, I may have a bucket-o-parts to peddle here shortly.

Winger Ed.
12-24-2021, 04:24 AM
, I may have a bucket-o-parts to peddle here shortly.

And something to keep on your desk so people can come by and say, "Wow. That's interesting. How'd that happen"?

cwtebay
12-24-2021, 01:17 PM
And something to keep on your desk so people can come by and say, "Wow. That's interesting. How'd that happen"?Unfortunately - the only "how it happened" story is what I got from the fella that had it. He claims that he used factory ammunition and just got a big BOOM after pulling the trigger. I asked him if there was a barrel obstruction, etc and didn't get very far. I paid $50 and an old spoon type ice auger for it so I'm not out much, but dang it - now I may have to find a useable one so I can have these spare parts fit something......

missionary5155
12-24-2021, 06:49 PM
You have a good pile of salvagable parts there. Sights, stocks, springs, tube, follower, hammer and sear...... ECT...
Well over $50 worth.
If you want to sell it as is I will offer you $50 ad I will pay shipping. Strip the receiver, cut the receiver in half and send as it now is a parts kit.

dverna
12-24-2021, 07:40 PM
Update on my bulged chamber - it is a fairly effective, though expensive, paper weight! Barrel is bulged into the threads, a hairline crack extends a couple of inches up the barrel, and there is something wrong with the bolt that I'm not clear about. Needless to say, I may have a bucket-o-parts to peddle here shortly.

That really sucks. Nice gun to go to waste. If you decide to part it out, I would be interested in the buttstock.