PDA

View Full Version : Ideal No. 1 Lube/Resizer stuck die

Boomer308
12-13-2021, 04:56 PM
I have an Ideal No. 1 lubricator/resizer with dies for my .357 and .44 Special. Several years ago I used it to size some .357's. I haven't used it for a few years. I recently got it out and found the die is stuck. There is no lube in the lube tube. How can I get the die out? I really like this oldie.
It is complete with clamp, wrench, dies, etc.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-13-2021, 05:08 PM
I have an Ideal No. 1 lubricator/resizer with dies for my .357 and .44 Special. Several years ago I used it to size some .357's. I haven't used it for a few years. I recently got it out and found the die is stuck. There is no lube in the lube tube. How can I get the die out? I really like this oldie.
It is complete with clamp, wrench, dies, etc.

Welcome to the website.
The #1 is an oldie for sure. I have one also, and use it exclusively for 22 boolits because of it's roomy finger space above the die.

Now, the #1 is not very robust, as you probably know, so be careful not to put too much force on it, to remove the die. It's likely just old dry lube residue holding the die in place. I'd spritz the die area with kroil and apply some heat with a heat gun. I prefer to have the press mounted to the bench when trying to remove a die. With the press hot to the touch, I'm sure the die will slide out with ease.
Good Luck.

Rickf1985
12-14-2021, 08:31 PM
Put papers under it if you have a decent floor to catch the dripping lube as it melts out. That stuff is a nasty mess on the floor.

Winger Ed.
12-14-2021, 08:39 PM
The lube around the die gets hard over time.
As said, heat will loosen it back up.
Then clean everything and it'll be good as new----- maybe better.

Green Frog
12-14-2021, 10:10 PM
Captain obvious here; don’t forget to completely loosen the locking screw that holds the die in place. :groner: