PDA

View Full Version : Bad RCBS 10mm 170 gr mold

DanH
01-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and enjoying it very much. I've been casting bullets for 37 years and I still have plenty to learn.

Recently I bought a Smith & Wesson 10mm auto and I want to cast bullets for it for use as practice loads, a reduced load that is fun to practice with.

Back in the 1970's I can remember ordering Lyman 2 cavity bullet molds and often being disappointed with them because they cast bullets that were smaller than the size I was looking for. For example .357 bullets were coming out .355, and so on.

In the early 90's I tried RCBS molds and bingo, the bullets came out the perfect size. So I thought RCBS molds were good.

So after I bought this 10mm, I bought RCBS 170 grain 10mm mold, which is supposed to be able to be sized to .401, and they come out .399 one way, and .4005 measured 90 degrees from the first measurement. Very frustrating. And they were coming out 10-15 grains too heavy. Too small and too heavy, never heard that before.

So I ordered the Lyman 150 grain 10mm mold, and bingo, they come out of the mold .403 and .404, and some at .402, and they size to .401 easily. They run about 156 grains 157 grains, which I can live with.

I am using wheelweights, and maybe I'm not stirring the mixture enough, I am NOT fluxing with wax or anything else, which could cause all of the lead to settle to the bottom, where my melting pot discharges.

But having bullets come out too small and too heavy is something I've never heard of before.

Has anyone else had bad RCBS molds?

mooman76
01-16-2009, 01:01 AM
They do come out a little small some times if they keep cutting bullets and don't replace the cherry often enough as it wears down. I have a RCBS 44 SWC mould that is was) little (.001) undersized. Beageling the mould might help.

RogerWatsonfromIdaho
01-16-2009, 10:00 AM
DanH,
I suggest you send the mould back to RCBS and give them a chance to fix the problem.
Roger

Ben
01-16-2009, 10:18 AM
RCBS will " Jump through Hoops " to please you with your problems of undersized bullets with your mold.

In my opinion, RCBS has the very best customer service in the reloading industry.

Ben

44man
01-16-2009, 10:58 AM
They will take care of you.
Cherries are expensive so they are re-sharpened. Those molds come out smaller.

Calamity Jake
01-16-2009, 11:09 AM
After sending back a 308-168 twice for casting undersize I ask RCBS to substatute a 308-180 and they did, it's big enough, I'm happy.

Send it back!!

DanH
01-16-2009, 01:37 PM
They do come out a little small some times if they keep cutting bullets and don't replace the cherry often enough as it wears down. I have a RCBS 44 SWC mould that is was) little (.001) undersized. Beageling the mould might help.

Hi,

Thanks guys for the replies. I thought I was the only one that ever bought an undersized mold. I will look into sending it back to RCBS.

For my own information, what is the process of "Beageling the mould?"

9.3X62AL
01-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Welcome to the board, Dan!

"Beagling" is a method of gaining a few thousandths of diameter for a casting that involves the use of adhesive HVAC aluminum tape applied to mould block faces. The term is derived from the practice's developer, a member here whose sobriquet is "Beagle". Lots of threads on the subject, and there should be at least one "stickied" thread on its practice somewhere on this board.

+1 to the idea that the mould should be returned to RCBS, though. They will make it right.

Matt_G
01-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi Dan,

If you can't find the post on Beagling, scroll down to the bottom of this (or any) page.
Click the CastPics icon. On that page on the left side click "Articles by Members"
The top left link in the new page is the one you want; "Beagling" a Mould

94Doug
01-16-2009, 05:19 PM
I just sent back a mould to RCBS that was not working right, and received a new replacement in a week.

Ben
01-16-2009, 06:32 PM
You won't beat RCBS's customer service !

TAWILDCATT
01-17-2009, 08:01 PM
now me onthe other hand have Lee molds and they have all been correct.since they are lath bored they only have to keep an eye on the spec no cherrys to make.I cant complain on the price either.I do have Lyman and Modern Bond.nothing wrong with them.:p