PDA

View Full Version : Lead shot

dearslayer
12-12-2021, 06:46 PM
A friend of mine gave me a bag and a half of hard lead shot. I don't really have a use for it so can this be melted down and mixed with COWW or would it make the alloy too hard for bullets? 293036

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

Baltimoreed
12-12-2021, 06:53 PM
On the edge of where? Find someone to swap lead with. If you were in NC I’d swap ww or bullets in a skinny with you if the shot’s small enough. Bought some a month ago and paid 60.00 for 25# of no9.

Dave W.
12-12-2021, 07:04 PM
Probably would not mix it CCOW unless you are needing something very hard. it can be mixed with soft lead to harden the mixture up, might have to add some tin also.

Winger Ed.
12-12-2021, 07:07 PM
You can melt & mix it in, but is kind of a hassle.
You have to do a lot of stirring and mash it against the side of the pot.

Shot has dried up like all the other components.
Marketed properly, that hardened magnum shot worth way more than ingots or scrap.

dearslayer
12-12-2021, 07:09 PM
On the edge of where? Find someone to swap lead with. If you were in NC I’d swap ww or bullets in a skinny with you if the shot’s small enough. Bought some a month ago and paid 60.00 for 25# of no9.
Ontario Canada....guess I'll try to swap for lead with someone.

243winxb
12-12-2021, 07:49 PM
Shot contains 2% to 6% antimony. Good as is for cast bullets. I have used it for 44 magnum, 240 gr cast lswc , after oven heat treating, with 10 grs of Unique.

Chaparral66
12-12-2021, 09:02 PM
I shoot with a bunch of avid shot shell reloading guys that would buy that shot in a heart beat.

Carrier
12-12-2021, 10:31 PM
I went through this same thing a few months ago. I thought I had desecrated the Virgin Mary when I said I wanted to melt it. Not only did it melt beautifully the coating on it worked like a flux. I used some beeswax to flux but really didn’t need it.
I made ingots and then into the casting pot and made some of the best bullets I’ve ever casted with straight shot. I kept some of it to mix with straight lead and works great.
Like 243winxb said they work and work well.
I’m from Alberta and tried selling it for months with no takers. Mine was the same brand as yours in #4 shot.

dearslayer
12-13-2021, 01:05 AM
I went through this same thing a few months ago. I thought I had desecrated the Virgin Mary when I said I wanted to melt it. Not only did it melt beautifully the coating on it worked like a flux. I used some beeswax to flux but really didn’t need it.
I made ingots and then into the casting pot and made some of the best bullets I’ve ever casted with straight shot. I kept some of it to mix with straight lead and works great.
Like 243winxb said they work and work well.
I’m from Alberta and tried selling it for months with no takers. Mine was the same brand as yours in #4 shot.

Hello from Ontario... I haven't even had time to open the bags to see what condition the shot might be in. Bought it home and dropped in the garage. Not even sure of the shot size. Hummasons is only 30 mins from my place where this was probably purchased ( probably quite a while ago ).

GregLaROCHE
12-13-2021, 07:50 AM
Seems a shame to melt it down. I’m sure someone would be happy to make a deal with you for it.

Chaparral66
12-13-2021, 11:55 AM
Nooooooooo... don't melt it down. We have avid Sporting Clay reloaders that are having to, gulp, buy factory ammo because shot it expensive and hard to get. Granted primers and powder may be more difficult to get. Except for the distance and the Can/US border there ought to be some trade value, like equal weight of 6% antimony.

Patrick L
12-13-2021, 12:07 PM
With the prices of lead shot, I'd sell it to a shotgunner. Believe me they'll be glad to get it.