PDA

View Full Version : 270 loading information

DCB
12-12-2021, 02:03 PM
140gr gas check diameter is .278 after sizing. my brass measures inside neck diameter .274 which makes it pretty tight for seating the bullet.
Question is would you use a larger expander or just go with it. try not to bulge the neck or shoulder.
#2 would or do you use any kind of lube on the bullets?

gumbo333
12-12-2021, 03:13 PM
I've loaded 270 for many years but never a cast boolit. I'd try a dummy and see how much it does bulge? .004 seems a bit much. Then see if that round will chamber in your rifle.

Winger Ed.
12-12-2021, 03:18 PM
I'd try it first.
And use a hard alloy to get up around 2,000 fps or a little more.

You'll want some form or fashion of either lube (I'm a big Lyman Orange Magic fan) or powder coat.

hoodat
12-12-2021, 03:18 PM
A .004" difference makes for a pretty tight fit, even if you expand the case mouth. I'd try to get that difference down to about two thousandths, and still expand the mouth. Finish with a light crimp. jd

quilbilly
12-12-2021, 03:34 PM
I have been shooting CB's in my .270 Mod. 70 for about a year. Of the three molds I have, the 130's seem to shoot best. The 140's shoot almost as well with the 118's bringing up the rear. My best groups with the iron sights (fiberoptic front) have been consistently about 2" at 100 yards when my old eyes cooperate early in the day. Velocity has been about 1780 fps with RE-7 but Red Dot has also shot well. All have been gas checked so far but the NOE mold I have also has a plain base cavity. I am anxious to seriously try the plain base boolits at about 1300 fps soon since the times I briefly tested it, there was no leading and it seemed accurate at 50 yards. My lube has just been the Lee ALOX since I have so much of it. The sizer I am using is the standard Lee push-through. For the record, my alloy isn't particularly hard.

DCB
12-12-2021, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the ideas, This is my first try at cast bullets and gas checks.
They turned out real nice. I may powder coat some in the future, But i wanted try some bare to start with.
I have some different types of lube Ill try some Alox

Calamity Jake
12-12-2021, 04:51 PM
Some one here makes custom size "M" die expanders, you need one, I can't remember his CB allis

DCB
12-12-2021, 05:33 PM
Thanks , I do have a few different expanders. I made them when I got bored once.:Bright idea:
I did make up a dummy round and it turned out good, Chambered good as well.
I think I was just overthinking OCD [smilie=b:set in on an occasion.

Winger Ed.
12-12-2021, 05:46 PM
I think I was just overthinking

It's easy to do, maybe even hard not to at times. I see it here all the time.

I try to keep in mind this is all 4-500, or more year old technology that got 'modern and improved' about 100 years ago.

Larry Gibson
12-12-2021, 06:12 PM
Thanks , I do have a few different expanders. I made them when I got bored once.:Bright idea:
I did make up a dummy round and it turned out good, Chambered good as well.
I think I was just overthinking OCD [smilie=b:set in on an occasion.

Give them a try as is. If that doesn't work the suggest making an expander than expands the inside neck to .268.

DCB
12-12-2021, 06:19 PM
Thanks Larry I put that Idea in my reloading notes for 270 cast bullets

gwpercle
12-12-2021, 08:15 PM
I found a Lyman M-Die neck expander ... made all the difference in the world when loading cast boolits in a 30-30 Winchester . The neck was sized for a smaller J-word bullet ... seating the larger cast boolit kept bulging the shoulder of the case ...no chambering .
The M-Die enlarged the neck to accept the larger cast boolit .
NOE makes their own Die that has inserts for different calibers and diameters of cast boolits ...
Regular 270 dies will be set up for smaller J-word bullets and may give problems with larger cast boolits ... try a correctly sized M-Die or NOE Expander Die and insert if you are having problems seating the larger / softer cast boolits . These things solve a lot of seating problems .
Gary

sigep1764
12-14-2021, 12:26 AM
Im sizing mine to .280. They worked at .278 but accuracy was greater at .280. They have been lubed with Carnuba Blue and Orange Magic, both working just fine. 10 grains of Red Dot gives about 2 inches at 100 yards and deer seem to hate it. If you wanna go fast, W748 has worked quite well for me. I used the Lee 135 mold for awhile, but have switched to the RCBS 150 grain mold. I use a 280 expander from NOE. The brass springs back a bit and I use a Lee die for crimping. Annealing the brass helps with pulling the expander back out.