PDA

View Full Version : Graphite it be!

pcmacd
12-11-2021, 11:17 PM
My friends, I used to use this mold preservative and lube from LETS (Leade Engineering Tool Service) from some place in Missouri. They went south, but not w/o gracing me with a can of their WHITE GRAPHITE mold lube.

It was awesome stuff. Kept molds from rusting. Took a few casts to make the graphite bake off, not a problem.

Then LETS went away. There is another by that name but they don't sell the same stuff.

So? If WHITE GRAPHITE works well on molds, why not CONVENTIONAL BLACK GRAPHITE in a spray can with a carrier that will totally evaporate?

Let me tell you, friends that this CONVENTINOAL BLACK GRAPHITE is exclusively awesome for a mold release, and mold preservative.

Buy it at Home Despot. Any of these brands rock, as long as the carrier is totally evaporative.

hawkenhunter50
12-11-2021, 11:28 PM
This stuff works to prevent rust? If so might give it a whirl. Thx for the tip.

GregLaROCHE
12-12-2021, 12:30 AM
I can see that it could work well to lube molds, but if it protects against rust, there must be something else left behind. That could potentially cause problems.

smithnframe
12-12-2021, 06:20 AM
I’ve used the Blaster brand…….it works as a mold release.

fastdadio
12-12-2021, 01:34 PM
Interesting. I keep a can of that stuff in the boiler room for lubing valve stems and packing. It dries to a very thin film. Guess I'll give it a try.
Thanks for the tip.

Jack Stanley
12-12-2021, 05:43 PM
NEI used to sell a product called mold prep , it was not an aerosol product though . It is a liquid applied with a toothpick or Q-tip , I think alcohol is the carrier and regular graphite is the black .

Jack

pcmacd
12-12-2021, 05:54 PM
All of the "mold prep" stuff I've seen except the LETS always had silicone in it, which you really don't want in your lead molds.

The LETS white graphite definitely prevented rust. The conventional graphite seems to, but I can't guarantee that.

gwpercle
12-12-2021, 08:25 PM
The Black mould release spray that Midway USA sells is marketed as Drop - Out Mould Release .
I'm sure the blaster stuff is just as good . It does prevent rust but be careful of mould build up ...
It gets a build up and is hard to remove ...scrubs off with Acetone ... but it does work .
Gary

vagrantviking
12-14-2021, 12:38 PM
Forget the brand name but I've got a can of similar stuff that works fantastic. Use it instead of soot or on the faces, top or sprue plate.
The layer left behind is very very thin and lasts a long time. Haven't thought about the rust prevention side of things but it should have at least a bit of a protective effect.

fixit
12-14-2021, 03:43 PM
I've also heard of using those coatings as a spray on cast bullet lube.

porthos
12-14-2021, 08:30 PM
wait a minute ; keeping a mold rust free isn't hard. when i'm done casting and the mold is cool. i do nothing but wrap it in VPI paper and keep the molds in a 50 cal. ammo can. i have molds that i have not used in 30 years; and they are still perfect.

fastdadio
12-14-2021, 09:51 PM
I've also heard of using those coatings as a spray on cast bullet lube.

It's been done with mixed results.
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?207653-Liquid-graphite-as-bullet-lube
I have two cans of graphite sitting on the shelf wondering what I can do with it.

pcmacd
12-22-2021, 10:13 PM
wait a minute ; keeping a mold rust free isn't hard. when i'm done casting and the mold is cool. i do nothing but wrap it in VPI paper and keep the molds in a 50 cal. ammo can. i have molds that i have not used in 30 years; and they are still perfect.

That, sir, is a failsafe way to conserve your tools!