PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 56 6"? Help ID'ing

Hanzy4200
12-11-2021, 09:46 PM
Guy at work has a list of guns up for sale. One that caught my eye is a S&W Model 56. I don't know a ton about Smith revolvers, but I recall these are uncommon. Using the Google, it appears most of these are 2" barreled, correct? The only other distinguishing mark I can see is "U.S." stamped above the left side trigger guard. Also, the second line of the 4 on the right side, reads "Marcas Registradas". Any input? Guy is asking $900, but I could haggle.

Was this a service pistol?

oldblinddog
12-12-2021, 12:33 AM
That’s not a model 56. The 56 had a 2” heavy barrel and was chambered in .38 Special. Around 15,000 were made for the Air Force and almost all were recalled and destroyed. There are very few in existence. The ones that are out there sell in the $7000.00 and up range.

It’s hard to tell from the pics you are showing but that one looks like a model 15 or 14. This is a 14 293013
Is it worth $900.00? Maybe. Get it checked out by a qualified gunsmith before you buy.

Oh, and they all say that.

skeettx
12-12-2021, 12:46 AM
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/44/3528/smith-wesson-56-revolver-38-sw-special

Hanzy4200
12-12-2021, 08:45 AM
That’s not a model 56. The 56 had a 2” heavy barrel and was chambered in .38 Special. Around 15,000 were made for the Air Force and almost all were recalled and destroyed. There are very few in existence. The ones that are out there sell in the $7000.00 and up range.

It’s hard to tell from the pics you are showing but that one looks like a model 15 or 14. This is a 14 293013
Is it worth $900.00? Maybe. Get it checked out by a qualified gunsmith before you buy.

Oh, and they all say that.

That's what I was feeling also. What is with the US stamping though?

Noah Zark
12-12-2021, 09:37 AM
Unfortunately stamping dies are widely available. Just ask any collector of WWII German / Nazi stuff. 30 years ago in these parts (Middle Atlantic) we had a gun show vendor who sold mostly Kar98k and other Grrman Mausers and every one of them was stamped in multiple places, wood and metal, with SS runes. He'd sell them to people with non-functional BS detectors, but the Interwebz and/or poor health / old age put him out of business.

Not saying that's the casewith this revolver; .gov back in the day may have bought Model 14 Smiths for National Match competition, and had them stamped.

Noah

1Hawkeye
12-12-2021, 03:29 PM
That looks like a pre model 14 probably 1950's production around here they sell in the mid 600's to upper 700's. His price would be pushing it unless its a mint in original box piece as for the U.S. stamp that could mean it was one of the old air force team guns or someone just wanted to spice up there model 14. Unless he's got paperwork about it it means little. to the value.

jsizemore
12-12-2021, 05:01 PM
All kinds of countries used S&W's so the stamp on the right side forward of the side plate is the usual stamp.

The model number and series are stamped on the frame hidden by the cylinder crane. When you open the cylinder it will be stamped. Or not. The right side plate will have 3 or 4 screws holding it on. One is hidden by the grip. The 4th is high on the plate near the rear sight. If it has a 5th screw, it's at the front of the trigger bow on the underside. Looks like an older 14 or pre-14 from the front sight blade.

I'd check the action for function if you plan on shooting it. If cylinder doesn't lock up before the hammer comes to full cock in single action or hammer release in double action, action work is in your future. Check for end play in the cylinder. If you aren't mechanically inclined, your gunsmith will be a good friend.

14's are target guns and meant to shoot lead. If it has a light trigger/hammer pull make sure you have plenty of Federal SP primers.

1Hawkeye
12-12-2021, 07:17 PM
The markings on the right side of the frame are standard smith markings still used on the newer production revolvers.
Top line Made in U.S.A
2nd line marcas registrads
3rd line Smith & Wesson
4th line Springfield , Mass

MT Gianni
12-12-2021, 09:01 PM
Serial number will be found on the butt under the grips. I am pretty sure that gun is post 1957. Before that year there were model names not numbers. No model stamps for the named guns. If you pull the grips the original ones should have pencil markings with the serial numbers. FYI, the Model 12 was the lightweight version for the AF. Most of them were destroyed or made non firing as well.