PDA

View Full Version : Home for cap and ball revolvers?

curioushooter
12-11-2021, 08:17 PM
Is this the home for cap and ball revolver discussion? Or does that belong in Muzzloaders?

ReloaderFred
12-11-2021, 08:29 PM
You can post about them here.

Hope this helps.

Fred

stubshaft
12-12-2021, 04:37 AM
Either one works.

curioushooter
12-15-2021, 12:39 PM
Anybody think that maybe there should be a cap and ball forum, as they are pretty unique?

I mean I can think of reasons not to have a separate forum, too. Like fewer people interested.

It's just that I think most people who talk wheel-guns either have zero interest/knowledge of Cap and Ball. I was this way till recently. That was a mistake!

Bazoo
12-15-2021, 11:01 PM
A non bored through cylinder forum? I have interest in cap and ball revolvers, but not like I do in cartridge arms.

charlie b
12-15-2021, 11:37 PM
There is a lot of C&B discussion in the muzzleloader section.

armoredman
12-16-2021, 08:51 AM
Mmm, cap and ball wheelguns...mmm.

pill bug
12-16-2021, 04:20 PM
Interest in C@B revolvers started me on the road to casting bullets 50 years ago. It began with a 36 cal Navy arms "yank" and one of those repro brass conical and ball molds. As a kid, I was thrilled to have that gun and used the heck out of it. Jeez, that was in 1971, time really does fly.293178

sharps4590
12-16-2021, 05:37 PM
Sounds like my story pill, 'bout the same time too but I was in the Air Force.

Texas by God
12-16-2021, 09:42 PM
They are Wheelguns, after all.
I gave my last one to a friend a couple of years ago. Once that you get them hitting where they look, they are pretty useful. I want to try a Italian Remington the next time that I get one; I've only had Italian Colts thus far starting with a Colt 1980s reissue of 3rd model dragoon. My dad, my uncle and I fired it in the lot behind the dairy barn- great memories!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

charlie b
12-17-2021, 12:23 AM
Before you buy a Remington see if you can find one to handle. I didn't like the grip on mine at all. I eventually turned it into a birds head shape. A gunsmith friend liked it and traded for it. He shortened the barrel and used it as his belly gun to match the full size he carried in the belt holster. After the barrel was shortened (5" IIRC) it balanced nicely with the round grip shape.

smithnframe
12-17-2021, 04:25 AM
I built my first brass framed 36 caliber Colt Navy when I was 14! Bought the kit from an ad in Shooting Times magazine for $24.95. My dad and built it (he being a gunsmith/rifle builder) in his shop. I used to shoot the heck out of it. Read this thread and went and got it from the safe. We’re bringing our 8 year old grandson here for Christmas for 4-5 days and we’re going to take it out back and do some shooting!

shooting on a shoestring
12-18-2021, 06:56 AM
Got my first one as a Christmas gift from Dad about 1974 or so. He got it from Walgreens Drug Store in Clovis, New Mexico when they closed out their black powder stuff. They still sold primers and a few smokeless powders for a few years afterward but quit carrying black powder, caps and pistols. Drug stores were much more interesting back then.

Still got it. It’s a Pietta Remington Navy .36 clone. Good gun, except for the front sight was to short.

I crudely used a new-fangled product called J-B Weld to glue on a piece of aluminum I filed to shape. It’s held up very well. Got the pistol to hitting to point of aim.

I also learned from a good friend who was an accomplished black powder burner to carry a used 20 gauge hull in my pocket to slip over the end of the loading lever when seating balls to protect my young tender palm from load lever rash.

Shot a prairie dog with it in the late seventies. I rushed up on a prairie dog town in my ‘65 Flacon Ranchero from down wind. Saw a dog on the edge of the town run for a hole. I kept focused on that hole and stopped about 20-25 yards down wind of it, got comfortable and turned on the radio (am only and could only get one station out there). After half an eternity, the critter got curious enough and edged an eyeball over the rim for a couple of seconds. That’s when I knew I was in business. After it disappeared again I cocked the piece, put it out the window and took up a rough aim on the hole. About the third or fourth time it popped up to look at me, it got brave and showed it’s full head for a two-eyed hard look at me. He disappeared at the shot. I walked up and saw the blood splatter on the berm and about 2 feet down the hole was a coyote supper waiting. Oh I miss the days of sharp eyes and steady hands.

Good Cheer
12-19-2021, 10:19 PM
Oh gosh. Yeah, a Navy Arms 1861 got me to casting in the 70's and here I am still designing boolits.
Don't care if there's a separate forum for percussion revolvers any more than if there's one for black plastic that goes bangety-bang-bang. One thing I do wish is that folks in Italy would have sold revolvers that were made to use the off the shelf molds in .36, .40. 41, 43 and .45 diameters. A nice 1851 style revolver designed to use ".44 caliber" semi-wadcutters and round noses would be just about the bestest with the mostest.

gwpercle
12-22-2021, 03:01 PM
Mmm, cap and ball wheelguns...mmm.

LIKE LIKE LIKE :awesome:

Gary

Good Cheer
12-27-2021, 07:18 AM
Got a spare .36 caliber 1858 and a hankerin' for something to use .44 Special molds.
Probably use 44-40 rifling. Already have molds like Lyman #429478 and Herters #44253. It could use .437 round ball too. But then I'd need a rifle to shoot .437 round ball...
Already got a rifle that shoots .453 ball so maybe I should just stick with shooting the .44 caliber Pietta's.
[smilie=l: