PDA

View Full Version : I had some left-over parts...

Ithaca Gunner
12-11-2021, 06:38 PM
So I made a ''Frankinpistol''.

Cleaning up my shop and sorting things out, including a large supply of Gov't/Commander model parts. I found enough loose parts I wasn't going to use on a serious build, including a Stealth Arms 80% aluminum Commander frame and a Wilson Combat .22 conversion unit which I hadn't used in years. Short version, throw everything in a bowel, mix, and this is what I came up with. An ultra light .22 plinking pistol.

Other than 10 round test for function I haven't really shot it yet, however I do expect a little better than average for the unit since I fitted it to the frame with very little slop. The unit shot minute of paper at 25yds, if I get minute of 7-8 ring accuracy from it, it'll be better than it was on any Gov't model frame I shot it on, (it's pretty much a Cyner unit with Wilson Combat stamped on it).

Next clean up project might be a SS G.I. fitted frame for my 1948 Colt Conversion Unit with a lot better quality parts, maybe a fitted Briley bushing. I won't be looking for match grade accuracy, but if I can get consistant 8 ring out of it, I'll be happy.

barkerwc4362
12-11-2021, 08:40 PM
I have a Ceiner Commander length conversion kit on an Auto Ordnance aluminum Commander frame. Looks a lot like yours except mine is all blue. I have used mine regularly for target practice and gun handling training. It has also killed a lot of varmints that invade the garden and can't stay out of the catch traps.

Bill

uscra112
12-12-2021, 01:09 AM
You mixed them in a bowel? Ugh. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Ithaca Gunner
12-12-2021, 12:11 PM
You mixed them in a bowel? Ugh. Doesn't bear thinking about.

In a manner of speaking, I selected parts I wasn't going to use in a serious build and tossed em in a parts pan then pulled the ones I was sure I wouldn't use for the project. Given the conversion unit of plinker quality I used like parts.

starnbar
12-12-2021, 06:30 PM
Nice looking build and that is one of the best 22 conversion kits you can buy they make very good suppressors too.

Ithaca Gunner
12-12-2021, 10:14 PM
I've only had that unit on a G.I. frame before and it didn't shoot all that well. I have it fit to this Commander frame and hoping for better this time. It's always been reliable, but no better accuracy than a Colt conversion unit. Amazing how light it is!