PDA

View Full Version : Pulling GC boolits

Lead melter
01-15-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm working on a somewhat faster boolit load for my trusty old 336 over on the Ranch Dog forum and after loading several test rounds that did not work out, I had some boolits to pull.
The RD TLC311-165-RF is the boolit of choice and the Gator gas checks were applied sized to .309". A total of 20 boolits were pulled with the RCBS inertial bullet puller and only 4 of the checks stayed attached. 16 came loose and had to be fished out of the case. 20% success ratio.
The next round of loads used Hornady checks sized at .309" and 6 boolits had to be pulled. All 6 checks stayed attached. 100% success ratio.
Lube was LLA in all loads, brass was mixed headstamps, as that is all I ever shoot anyway, boolits were all cast at the same time, so alloy was the same, all were crimped with the Lee factory crimp die, OAL on all loads was same.

Anyone ever notice this much disparity before?

NSP64
01-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Sooooo. Whats the question? Pulling the boolit doesn't replicate shooting it. After ignition and the trip down the barrel the gater checks may not come off.
I take it the checks were seated below the neck into the case?

Bret4207
01-16-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm betting there's a difference in the metalurgy of the 2 brands, maybe the Gators spring back a little more or the Hornadys have more of a rough edge that holds the GC shank better. Since neither was designed to do what you did, I wouldn't worry about it.

Lead melter
01-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Bret,
Those were some of the thoughts that crossed my mind as well.

In a side-by-side comparison, the Hornady appear to be more of a gilding metal composition whereas the Gators seem to look more like copper. If that were the case, the copper would probably be a bit softer and pull loose a bit quicker in the "pulling" process. The softer composition of the copper may have a bit less spring back than the harder gilding metal.

Not having access to an inside micrometer, I really can't tell for sure if the Hornady check have a rougher or more pronounced lip than the Gators. I do know that on this particular lot of Hornady checks, this particular lot of Gator checks, and this particular lot of cast boolits, the Hornady fits onto the check shank just a bit easier than the Gators. It might be that the 'mouth' of the Hornady is just a bit wider.

As both of you guys have stated, and I know it too, the process of pulling is one for which the checks are not designed and would have no adverse effects on the performance of the product. It was just an observation I came across and figured to see if anyone else had come up with the same results.

No biggee. Just my mind [such as it is] working.

mold maker
01-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Hornady checks are made with a crimping (wedge shaped) lip that is made to bite into the bullet creating a lock.
That was the original difference between Lyman and Hornady gas checks. Now both are made the same.

corvette8n
01-16-2009, 05:18 PM
I use the Hornady checks and pulled a couple of bullets and had the checks come off in my 30-30 rounds. I couldn't fish out the check either.

STP22
01-16-2009, 07:41 PM
When I pull down CB loads and the checks remain, I first use cottton swabs to remove any residual lube in the necks, then I expand the necks back up again with the Lyman M-die. A pair of tweezers to grab and pull them from the necks is usually all that is needed. I do tap out as much of the powder as I can after the necks are re-expanded first. Works pretty well for me. Wish I had the means to open up the checks to reuse, but end up tossing them.