PDA

View Full Version : Frontier Rust Remover Scrubber- This stuff rocks!

Hanzy4200
12-10-2021, 09:42 PM
I have been using this stuff for about 10 years. It is awesome! As great as it is, I rarely speak to anyone who has used it. It really is a hidden gem. It looks like a Brillo pad from your wife's sink. It takes off rust, carbon, and lead smear like a dream. The kicker is that it will not harm your bluing or scratch your mold surfaces. And they last, a long time. 2 pads have lasted me almost 10 years. I just spray it down with brake cleaner and throw it back on the shelf. Tonight I ordered 3 more direct from them, which is what prompted this post. I just used one, torn down and wrapped on a old bore brush, to clean out a badly pitted .50 cal inline bore.

I am in no way affiliated with them. I urge you to give them a try. They're $6 apiece, free shipping on 2.

Here's they're link - https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

MUSTANG
12-10-2021, 09:49 PM
How do you think they would work on Brass cases to take the powder fouling off when neck sizing only and not wanting to run through all our normal cleaning steps for brass?

Nueces
12-10-2021, 10:03 PM
How do you think they would work on Brass cases to take the powder fouling off when neck sizing only and not wanting to run through all our normal cleaning steps for brass?

I've used the Frontier pads with good results, but think them too aggressive for soft brass. For that, I recommend some bronze wool, which also is good for cleaning rust and crud from fine blued surfaces.

MUSTANG
12-10-2021, 10:25 PM
I've used the Frontier pads with good results, but think them too aggressive for soft brass. For that, I recommend some bronze wool, which also is good for cleaning rust and crud from fine blued surfaces.

I have been using 0000 steel wool for this over the last 3 decades.

RickinTN
12-10-2021, 10:51 PM
Steel wool will take the blue off. This is probably bronze wool which will not.
I just ordered two myself. I made the mistake of steel once several years ago. Been using bronze wool for about 20 years.
Rick

MUSTANG
12-10-2021, 10:58 PM
The 0000 steel wool I mentioned is used on bottle neck brass cases ie. .223, .308, 30-06 that have dirty powder stained mouths from Cast Boolit loads (often if developing loads and they are too light to expand necks sufficiently).

Walks
12-11-2021, 12:22 AM
A dime size ball of 0000 steel wool dipped in Ballistol and Gently rubbed in a circular fashion over rust spots on blued guns with lift off the rust without damaging the blue.
Of course with the rust gone the bare metal where the rust was will be exposed. So some of Brownell's cold blue Properly applied will protect that bare steel. If done Right only a close inspection will reveal there ever was rust in the first place.

JimB..
12-11-2021, 12:38 AM
The Frontier pads look like a soft stainless steel, maybe a nickel alloy. Keep thinking about sending a sample to @BNE just out of curiosity.

It is not brass, bronze or lead wool.

AndyC
12-11-2021, 02:20 AM
Just ordered 2 - thanks for the tip.

Jsm180
12-11-2021, 09:11 AM
Looks like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CQTXBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been around for a while.

Hanzy4200
12-11-2021, 09:20 AM
Looks like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CQTXBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been around for a while.

It may look like those, but it is not. Frontiers won't harm blueing. Please, give your rifle a hard scrubbing with a Scotch Brite. Do it for science.

Hanzy4200
12-11-2021, 09:22 AM

I'm sure it would take it off, but I would assume it could easily take off material as well. Brass is soft, and the pads are not rated to clean brass.

fivegunner
12-11-2021, 09:24 AM
Thnk you for posting this I just ordered a few.

cuzinbruce
12-11-2021, 12:53 PM
From the website: "The coils are composed of a proprietary alloy containing stainless steel, nickel silver, monel (a corrosion resistant nickel based alloy), and zinc"

Interesting. I just ordered a couple to try out. Thanks for the link.

dverna
12-11-2021, 01:58 PM
I ordered two as well. Thanks for the post.

JimB..
12-11-2021, 04:45 PM
From the website: "The coils are composed of a proprietary alloy containing stainless steel, nickel silver, monel (a corrosion resistant nickel based alloy), and zinc"

Interesting. I just ordered a couple to try out. Thanks for the link.

I believe it is a proprietary alloy, I just don’t think it is his proprietary alloy. Like most things, it was probably developed for something else and has found its way into the hobby.

But whatever it is, it does work!

lastditch
12-11-2021, 05:49 PM
I been using the pads for years to clean up bayonets and knives. Does not scratch any metal surface I have used it on,YET!

lesharris
12-11-2021, 06:55 PM
I just ordered 2. They do work nicely. Had them years ago and forgot where I bought them.

Hanzy4200
12-11-2021, 09:48 PM
I just ordered 2. They do work nicely. Had them years ago and forgot where I bought them.

Same here! I bought 2 from a crusty old gun shop owner over 10 years back, and had no idea where to start looking. They're one Ebay and Amazon, but priced hiked near double. It's nice to buy straight from a American company.

GregLaROCHE
12-12-2021, 01:57 AM
Sounds interesting if it does what you say. Should be good for cleaning bores, hard to believe it won’t damage blueing.

dondiego
12-12-2021, 01:26 PM
Outers used to sell a kit with 2 of the pads and a bottle of oil. It sure works well. I bought 2 of the Frontier pads several years ago when it was mentioned on here.

rbuck351
12-12-2021, 02:03 PM
Sounds like good stuff. I just ordered 2.

Lee-fan
12-12-2021, 02:41 PM
100% agree, they work great. Work good on lead deposits in the bore as well.

ScrapMetal
12-13-2021, 05:36 AM
I ordered four! Two for my firearms and two to do work on a '58 Triumph motorcycle I'm trying to get back on the road.

Thanks for the "heads up" as I had forgotten about these.

-Ron

gwpercle
12-13-2021, 01:42 PM
I must be the only person who doesn't like the stuff .
The pad I got was very coarse , looked like the stainless steel pad I scrub big pots with ... the curls are large , thick and wide ... I would never use it on a firearm .
I looked at the stuff and tried some on a stainless steel cooking pot bottom , scratched the dickens out of the pot ... and went back to #0000 steel wool .
No way I'm scubbing one of my finely blued guns with nasty looking coarse pad .
If you buy one ... test it on something like a pot bottom before scrubbing a nice blued gun with it .
Gary
Maybe there is a finer pad but I don't remember being offered a choice .

dondiego
12-14-2021, 02:25 PM
I must be the only person who doesn't like the stuff .
The pad I got was very coarse , looked like the stainless steel pad I scrub big pots with ... the curls are large , thick and wide ... I would never use it on a firearm .
I looked at the stuff and tried some on a stainless steel cooking pot bottom , scratched the dickens out of the pot ... and went back to #0000 steel wool .
No way I'm scubbing one of my finely blued guns with nasty looking coarse pad .
If you buy one ... test it on something like a pot bottom before scrubbing a nice blued gun with it .
Gary
Maybe there is a finer pad but I don't remember being offered a choice .

They work great! You didn't even try it on a blued gun! I have.

mongo40
12-14-2021, 03:13 PM
I just placed an order for 4, I'll give it a try, thinking it'll work great on my Sharps when I'm cleaning them up after shooting a few rounds of Blackpowder through them.