PDA

View Full Version : Canada province requires all vehicle owners to run snow tires.

Idaho45guy
12-10-2021, 04:06 PM
I was doing some research on the 3-peak snowflake rating on the new tires I bought and ran across a statement that said Quebec passed a law in 2014 that requires all passenger vehicles to run winter tires. The law states:

"There is a great deal of confusion regarding enforcement of the mandatory use of tires designed for winter driving. To help you make sense of the changes, here is a summary of the draft Regulation Governing the Use of Tires Specifically Designed for Winter Driving, to which Section 440.1 of the Highway Safety Code refers.

From December 1 to March 15, ALL tires mounted on a TAXI or PASSENGER VEHICLE must be specifically designed for winter driving.

Offenders will be required to pay a fine ranging from $200 to $300. No demerit points will be deducted for such an offence, however.

Studded tires are not covered by the Regulation Governing the Use of Tires Specifically Designed for Winter Driving, and they are still permitted from October 15 to May 1."

https://www.caaquebec.com/en/on-the-road/advice/tips-and-tricks/tip-and-trick/show/sujet/mandatory-winter-tires-important-clarifications/

Seems crazy that the government makes you buy snow tires, but then again, I guess they know better than you.

Ithaca Gunner
12-10-2021, 07:10 PM
I hate any gov't intrusion, but in this case, (knowing how some people are bankrupt of any common sense) it may be a law that makes perfect sense. Seems every winter I meet at least one of these afore mentioned ''bankrupt'' people on a snowy road with street tires or the wonderful, ''all season'' tires on their car or mini van causing problems on snow covered roads. Yup, every winter they're out there, stuck in the middle of a road, can't go forward or back, blocking everybody else with four wheel drive or good snow tires from going anywhere until their poorly equipped car/van gets moved. I've no sympathy for them.

porthos
12-10-2021, 08:14 PM
i've seen (more that once) pretty smooth tires on vehicles in the winter. (i live in western pa.). the owners should if caught be heavily fined and vehicles towed off the road

Cast_outlaw
12-10-2021, 08:29 PM
It is a good thing tire chains are also acceptable if you have all seasons the law came about after they researched it and like 80%+ accidents in winter driving conditions (most of Canada for half the year) were on all seasons or summer tires and testing data proved that winter tires are superior in all testing in winter conditions so up here the law makes sense especially when a kid you work with did not even know his car had oil in it

Polymath
12-10-2021, 08:34 PM
You can't legislate morality, but you can legislate stupid. Too many were running baldies and then getting into trouble. Yes, it's serious. Fly off the road and get hurt or freeze to death. Got to remember this is Quebec. Home to ice storms and lake effect storms, etc.

rbuck351
12-10-2021, 09:19 PM
I don't mind if stupid people kill themselves but all too often they take someone else with them. Some laws do make sense even if they force folks that know how to drive in winter and have 4wd to get different tires. I believe all season with studs work better that winter tires but laws are made by folks that often don't know what they are doing. Steel or carbide dig through ice better than any type of rubber.

BJK
12-11-2021, 12:21 AM
Except there are studless stud grip tires that work better than studded tires. Normal rubber requires studs for grip because the rubber hardens as the temp' drops. The tires I mentioned have a special compound that stays pliable when it gets cold and maintains grip. I've been using them for many years and they work great. Yes, they also work great with chains.

TyGuy
12-11-2021, 01:01 AM
I have a set of winter tires for both of our AWD Elements. They are an absolute game changer when the sky water turns white, fluffy, and slick. As mentioned above, there are far too many who have no idea how to drive in icy weather and who’s vehicles are woefully prepared to do so. That said, I can’t say I’m a fan of mandating things like this. I’m also not surprised they have in the Great White North.

Brassmonkey
12-11-2021, 01:10 AM
i've seen (more that once) pretty smooth tires on vehicles in the winter. (i live in western pa.). the owners should if caught be heavily fined and vehicles towed off the road

They don't even get faulty equipment violations when they cause an accident.

Idaho45guy
12-11-2021, 04:16 AM
I drove home last night in my spare car, a 2007 Chevy HHR wagon/thing.

Has all-season tires with about 30% tread and are low-profile tires. I lose grip in the rain. I figured it would be bad in the snow, so when I got off work to discover 2" of fresh snow on the un-plowed roads, I knew I was in for a fun 14 mile commute on a rural highway.

It was not the worst car I have ever driven in a snowstorm. That honor goes to a `65 Dodge Dart GT with a narrowed rear posi-trac rear-end, 500hp, short wheelbase, and big fat BFGs on the back and skinnier tires up front. And it was a 4spd. I had to drive it 30 miles in a surprise snow storm in rural Iowa. No idea how I made it home. You touched the gas and it was headed sideways...

No, the HHR was not as bad. Not even close. But it still was very touchy and I didn't dare go over 40 mph.

Oh, and then I discovered that it didn't have ABS. I looked it up and it was a $400 option on that model. This was my dad's car and he is/was a multi-millionaire when he bought the car new, but decided not to spring for the $400.

So, my drive home was slow and puckering, but I made it home safely. I will only be driving the car to work when the roads are clear.

Seems silly that some think the government should force me to spend $500 on snow tires for a 2nd vehicle that will only be driven when the roads are clear.

Newboy
12-11-2021, 08:03 AM
I am shocked by the number of people who support more government intrusion in our lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

almar
12-11-2021, 09:39 AM
I lived there for long time. You don't like government intrusion? oh boy...you don't know the half of it. And the provincial police there are absolute fanatic enforcers too. I can make this a huge post, but it will be a rant. Lets just say that when I and other coworkers got here, we were absolutely bewildered with the freedoms we had now and not just firearm related either. They always add more restrictions and control little by little, not enough to cause a stir but eventually leads to complete control. I have family there but let me tell you, although I love seeing them, I count the days and am relieved when I cross the border again back into a free country. Its such a shame because Canada is such an incredible country for its vast untouched wilderness and incredible hunting potential. But I would rather live in a rat infested apartment in a horrible city like los angeles than be a millionaire in a mansion in Canada.

William Yanda
12-11-2021, 09:49 AM
Where do you think the Tories went after the Revolution in 1776? That's where some of my relatives went. Two centuries later and they still haven't figured it out.

Geezer in NH
12-11-2021, 01:14 PM
They had to many morons trying to drive without snow tires. If you are a moron drive in snow without snow tires but don't think others will help you when you skid of the highway during a storm.

gwpercle
12-11-2021, 03:12 PM
I would love to say something about passing laws and good sense ...but I would just get in trouble .
I'm learning ... My Mom always told me it was my smart mouth that kept me in trouble ...

Merry Christmas to all those who need to be told when to use snow tires ...

I live in Louisiana ...what's a Snow Tire .
I've seen snow 5 times in my life and never made a snowman .
Gary

bedbugbilly
12-11-2021, 06:53 PM
Won't be required when electric cars are mandated - I heard the will all be furnished with special equipment to defrost the highways and you'll be able to dry your hair at the same time - of course you'll only be able to drive the length of your extension cord and in Canada you will have to have an extension cord in meters and not feet.

I fully agree that common sense needs to prevail and snow tires should be used - but the government is sticking its nose way too deep into personal lives and rights and freedom. I would suggest that Canada use the U.S. as an example but that would be a waste of time because the current Administration can't be bothered to follow the laws of the land.

Just curious - does Canada have a law requiring a minimum tread depth on the snow tires> In my long lifetime I have seen MANY bald snow tires on cars - or are they like our lawmakers who only half think things out?

rockshooter
12-11-2021, 07:22 PM
also note that in Quebec you are required to buy "pneus d'hiver", not "snow tires" since the official language is French, not English
Loren

Noah Zark
12-11-2021, 11:04 PM
I don't need a law to force me to run snow tires on all four corners; I spent the winter of '83-'84 in Sweden for my employer observing $650 million worth of equipment being built, and writing english-text operation manuals on an electric typewriter.

My long-term rental was a rear wheel drive Volvo 244 with four studded snow tires and it went like a tank. The Swedes don't plow and salt a road bare; it's sorta plowed but they make a "base" to drive on and they maintain that. I asked my "mentor" at the office why the four snow tires and he said it was a law, and anyway the front wheels do 90% of steering and 70% of braking, so the physics dictate having snows on front, not so?

When I got back to the US, ever since then all my vehicles have had an extra set of wheels and either Bridgestone Blizzaks, Nokian Haakapelliitas, or Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice snow treads on them.

Noah

Idaho45guy
12-11-2021, 11:14 PM
I grew up in Northern Idaho and have only bought snow tires once. Studless with walnut shells in the tread, back in `99. They were great on the packed snow and ice, when we actually had any. But since we rarely get snow these days that lasts more than a few days, the extra $1200 expense for special snow tires and rims seems silly when simply slowing down and being a good driver works just fine.

Ithaca Gunner
12-12-2021, 02:26 AM
Let's see if I got this right. You live in N-W Idaho and there isn't much snow these days, and I trust there's no law requiring snow tires in Idaho? This law requiring snow tires is in Quebec Canada, 1,000 +/- miles away where they apparently do get some nasty winters. All I know about Quebec drivers is, they're a lot worse than drivers from N.Y.-N.J.-MASS and that's saying something!

Idaho45guy
12-12-2021, 03:00 AM
Let's see if I got this right. You live in N-W Idaho and there isn't much snow these days, and I trust there's no law requiring snow tires in Idaho? This law requiring snow tires is in Quebec Canada, 1,000 +/- miles away where they apparently do get some nasty winters. All I know about Quebec drivers is, they're a lot worse than drivers from N.Y.-N.J.-MASS and that's saying something!

My point is that I have experience driving in snow with and without snow tires, and while snow tires are superior, they are not a necessity. I can get by just fine without them if I pay attention and slow down. There are places in the US that get as much snow as Quebec that don't force their subjects to buy snow tires.

Ithaca Gunner
12-12-2021, 11:18 AM
They might even have a mandatory dash-cam law, I know some countries do. Somebody in Russia makes a lot of money on you-tube with silly dash cam clips!

Here in PA there are signs stating snow tires or chains are required to drive on some roads during a snow emergency. Both the wife and I have 4wd and M&S tires year round, it makes sense in our rural area. Other wise it would be like driving in the rain without wipers, you might be able to do it, but...

There's a bunch of laws I don't believe in, and places here in the U.S.A. I don't go to because of their laws, I have that choice too. I don't see why a law in Quebec about snow tires effects me, they shouldn't HAVE to have it, the people should know themselves and do according to their environment. Maybe they don't.

MaryB
12-12-2021, 02:51 PM
I have always used an aggressive all season radial year round. No issues driving in snow... but being from MN that is a 4 months out of the year thing and you learn how to drive on snow(well some of us learn... some stay year round idiots who can't drive no matter what the season is!).

jonp
12-12-2021, 05:11 PM
All seasons rated M/S satisfy the law. They are trying to stop idiots running summer tires in a snowstorm from blocking traffic.
On the border we always took off the summers and ran sand treads or winter tires but upgrades in road clearing and AWD made that less important.
Best winter tires i ever had was a set of Hakkapelitas.

BJK
12-12-2021, 06:14 PM
I've always put 4 M/S tires with the mountain symbol on my car in the winter up here in Maine. It just made sense to me It's not just about going, but steering and braking too.

But a go'vermin mandate? Sounds like an invitation for the vermin to pay for my tires. Or stay out of my business.

BTW, Maine does mandate that if we have snow tires on the back we also must have them up front. I guess they figure a stuck car isn't going to hurt anyone, but if you can get it moving it needs to be under control.

Idaho45guy
12-12-2021, 11:59 PM
I've always put 4 M/S tires with the mountain symbol on my car in the winter up here in Maine. It just made sense to me It's not just about going, but steering and braking too.

I'm replacing the aggressive mud tires on my SUV with a set of All-Terrains with the 3-Peak snowflake symbol next week. I've never ran a set of pickup/SUV tires with that symbol and am looking forward to seeing the difference. Going to do a video comparing before and after snow performance.

jonp
12-13-2021, 11:36 AM
Tires with that symbol are made with a different rubber compound

Baltimoreed
12-13-2021, 11:48 AM
Can’t fix stupid. Growing up on Baltimore in the 50s-70s we had big old snow tires in the basement and every year I would help my dad put them on. Eventually we bought all season radials and didn’t need them. In the early 70s we moved to eastern NC so snow wasn’t much of an issue thought I’ve gotten snowed in at work when our reliefs couldn’t get in.

Petander
12-13-2021, 12:00 PM
Greetings from snow,thaw,rain, -20°C changing back and forth.

Many tires can keep you going but what if someone else makes a mistake and you have to brake? Children? Moose? Another summer tire truck losing control?

My 2002 Suburban Z71 (5.3) got new studded Hankook winter tires. So far so good, icy wet highways need completetly different tires than deep,dry snow. Not deep snow yet so I can't tell, looks like a road thread to me. Small snowy roads go very well even with Auto 4WD.

I also have a 1992 Toyota 4Runner with 33" BFG All Terrains. Very good in deep dry snow but when it turns thaw, not so good anymore. Icy wet highways, downright dangerous. I think BFG changed the rubber at some point, it wasn't this bad on ice in the 90's. I had an 84 Bronco with the same 35 BFG:s and it was... ahem... tolerable on icy roads But not very safe.

I also have a set of studded Hakkapeliittas for the 4Runner, they are very good on highways and town... we have that ice cover most of the time. But I don't use them now , I change cars, 4Runner is for short local dry snow offroad-type trips like range.

kootne
12-13-2021, 12:59 PM
I'm in NW MT now, but have lived in in Mt. all my life. Most of that time was on the eastside where it is colder but the sun shines a lot more. Cold ice isn't slippery and the sun will vaporize the ice off the pavement even when it is below zero Fahrenheit. Living up here gives about 5 times as much actual slippery road driving as the east side. Up in this corner the sun may only shine a day or 2 a month in the winter and the temps run generally mid teen to 40's and the ice stays on the road lots longer than it does on the cold side of the state. It's as likely to rain as snow. Wet ice is no place for a bad choice of tires. I'm no fan of big govt. but I really weary of the idiots that don't have good tires. In our state you may not drive drunk because of the high percentage of wrecks and deaths attributed to that. Several towns in this state also have laws you may not drive while on the phone or texting for the same reason. I think Federal law says new cars need anti-lock brakes, to help people stop better. The law here in Mt. also says you are not to drive on publicly maintained roads without car insurance. I've been run into by drunks, I've been run into by people without insurance, I had to take evasive maneuvers many times due to "phonies" who just couldn't be bothered to stop to make their call. And I have been run off the road by people sliding out of control on ice. So I am not outraged at Quebec over the snowtire law. Good tires on ice ARE a form of insurance.
YMMV, just don't slide into me, I am tired of it.

Ithaca Gunner
12-13-2021, 01:22 PM
My point exactly! ^^

MaryB
12-13-2021, 03:26 PM
Oh I have had plenty of idiots run me off the road... the morons who think they can drive 70mph on ice.. it isn't the going, it is the stopping... I slow it down to 35-40 on ice and open up my following distance to 10+ car lengths. Can dang near coast to a stop at that range. Add in the idiots who think 4WD makes them invincible! See them in the ditch all the time! Last winter one dude was tailgating me for 5 miles, I was doing 60... he finally went screaming around me at 80... 1 mile later on the curve he was in the ditch standing next to his upside down truck. Someone was helping him so I just gave a wave with 1 finger!

My tires have the snow symbol on them, I should change to a different tire in summer but I drive so little now(3500 miles a year max) that it doesn't pay to have 2 sets of tires. I just get a little extra wear in summer. And I can choose when to drive to town. If roads are crappy I stay home!

Snow/ice rated tires are a softer compound so it can grip the rough surface of the ice. Thy wear faster on dry pavement.

TyGuy
12-13-2021, 03:34 PM
I have a friend who exclusively runs winter tires year round but he is a Rally racer and does RallyX events with his car in the summer time as practice for real Rally events. The winter tires are much cheaper than legitimate Rally tires and they do pretty well in the mud. My biggest issue with winter tires is the noise drives me crazy. I don’t mind having an extra set of wheels and tires to swap out for the seasons.

BJK
12-13-2021, 07:19 PM
Those different rubber compound tires... Old rubber gets hard in the cold, so they no longer grip and need studs. The new stuff stays soft in cold temps and grips. I love the things. I asked a child salesman at a tire store to see what he had for studless stud grip tires and he looked at me like I had 2 heads, totally clueless. It's all I run in the winter. On the truck I just don't change them for summer tires. I swear they'll climb a tree as long as it's covered in ice. No need to pay attention to the last date to remove the studded tires either.

Petander
12-14-2021, 01:23 PM
Over here in Finland,many folks use their studless winter tires up the next summer, then get new tires each fall. Can't go for another winter with them after summer use,at least not here on wet ice.

I had old Nokia winter tires on a Suburban last summer, very very prone to hydroplaning on badly worn out highways with mile long, deep ponds.