PDA

View Full Version : Long day at range with LBT bullets

AzShooter
01-15-2009, 08:52 PM
I've been spending a few days at the range with my 627 and a number of bullets I've moulded up from my new LBT 180 grain mould. Great mould. E-mailing Veral and reading his book I've learned so much more about my casting and how to get better accuracy from my revolver.

I was worried that my loads would be too hot with this heavy bullet but the exact opposite was the case. Most of the loads I tried had primers falling out of the pockets. I thought that was an indication of a hot load but later found out that it means there wasn't enough pressure to insure the brass was sealed in the chambers when fired causing the pressure to come back to the primer instead of going forward with the bullet.

I now have a number of safe loads that I can use for IRC ( International Revolver Competition) and for USPSA both shooting minor power factor.

Veral said I should be able to get 1 inch groups if I followed his instructions. I'm finding it easy with 6 shots but I'm having trouble consentrating for 8 to fire all of the cylinders.

Here are a few groups.

http://photos.imageevent.com/azshooter/groups/websize/Best%20group%20so%20far%20%206%20shots.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/azshooter/groups/websize/Best%20Unique.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/azshooter/groups/websize/Trail%20Boss.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/azshooter/groups/websize/750%20%20180%20lbtt%20close%20enough_1.jpg

454PB
01-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Just to clarify....if the primers actually "fall out of the pockets", it does indicate too much pressure.

Down South
01-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Just to clarify....if the primers actually "fall out of the pockets", it does indicate too much pressure.
+1 A light powder charge might cause a primer to back out some when fired. But primers that fall out after the rounds are fired indicates high pressure or some other problem. What primers are you using?

GLynn41
01-15-2009, 11:09 PM
if they went in fine -- especially with light loads the primers should stay in---- in firing "polishing loads" with polish media and these are very light-- the primers will back out but they do not come out-- curious>>>>-- in testing a new spring in 4" 57 with primers only again they will back out but not fall out-- there is some in and out with a primer anytime we fire-- but never heard of fall out-- good shooting though

Lloyd Smale
01-16-2009, 08:04 AM
how old is your brass? did the primers seat loosly in them.

Dale53
01-16-2009, 12:01 PM
AZshooter;
Those groups are lookin' FINE. It looks like you now have a handle on things.

Shoot Center!:mrgreen:

Dale53

AzShooter
01-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Brand new brass. The higher I go with my loads, the primers stop coming out. When I was at 550 to 600 fps I was having lots of problems.

My hotest load so far is 4.5 of Unique. One loading manual suggests a starting +P load of 5.5 grains. I started everything on the low side to be concervative and safe.

9.3X62AL
01-16-2009, 03:15 PM
A different way of asking the questions from above--are the primer pockets from which the fired primers "fall out" still snug when you seat another unfired primer?

AzShooter
01-16-2009, 03:54 PM
I have reloaded cases that the primers have popped out of and they seat exactly like the other cases and don't pop out a second time. Good question and I tried it to be sure.

It's interesting but all reloading is. I experiment but do not go above practical.

I was surprised to see that most published data was a lot hotter than what I was loading. I backed off like all manuals state but backed off too much.

Lee's new loading manual explained my problem best. There are no flattened , flowing or pierced primers.

Dan Cash
01-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Actually your unusual events are a product of your home location, Surprise, AZ.

GLynn41
01-17-2009, 06:36 PM
May not should go that low --starting loads are just that starting here loads--

AzShooter
01-17-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm pushing to the max on hot powders like Bullseye, Solo 1000, and 231. The hotter the better.

Today I tried 5.4 grains of Unique. Got 940 pfs as an average and groups were excellent. Still two blown primers. Two 6 shot groups were all bullets touching at 25 yards. I still have a difficult time getting all 8 shots from the 627 in the same hole.

The primers are confusing me. I measured all cases before shooting. New cases mike out to be .374 inches in diameter and primer pockets are .170

After shooting, the cases miked out to .374 on average with my Solo 1000 load with two cases going to .375 and two casses going to .378. Both of the .378 cases had the primers fall out.

Primer pockets measure new at .170. After firing they measure .169 - 170. Must be dirt making the difference. One of the blown primers was .168 after shooting. The other was .170 so the pockets are not expanding.

With the 5.4 grains of Unique load cases stayed at .375 inches with one case going to .378 inches but no primer problem with that case.

I had two fall out primer and both measured .375 for the case and .170 for the primer pocket. Again, no signs of excessive pressure.

MORE TO COME...

TCLouis
01-17-2009, 07:39 PM
"I'm pushing to the max on hot powders like Bullseye, Solo 1000, and 231. The hotter the better."

Shoots in another state

TCLouis
01-17-2009, 07:39 PM
"I'm pushing to the max on hot powders like Bullseye, Solo 1000, and 231. The hotter the better."

Shoots in another state