PDA

View Full Version : We’ve probably all done it

Tazman1602
12-09-2021, 08:30 PM
…OK so it’s been a while since I cast. My typical routine is to cast several hundred if not more then size, lube and shoot for a year or more.

Recently I’ve aquired a new Uberti Sharps 45-70 and found I only had a few dozen BRP 420gr hollow point left so I fired up the lead pot — I had a new Miha 400gr Keith style mold I wanted to try. Heated up the hot plate and got to casting —- YUCK! Cold mold, wrinkly bullets ARRRGGH! Keep throwing them.

At last I started throwing really nice bullets, dumped the mold and thought “DANG that one is niicccc Aaaaaahhhhh!

I am now drinking coffee with my left hand for a week……as thumb and forefinger of righty are blistered…

Keep casting!

Art

Thumbcocker
12-09-2021, 08:33 PM
Been there done that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hossfly
12-09-2021, 08:35 PM
Yea my new motto is every thing is hot all the time.

Wheelguns 1961
12-09-2021, 08:52 PM
I was casting in my garage when my neighbor came over for a visit. He is a shooter and hunter, but he doesn’t reload or cast. He had never seen anybody cast bullets. Well, he started to reach in my box to pick one up, when I quickly stopped him. I said they are very hot. He thanked me.

Biggin
12-09-2021, 09:00 PM
Yeah it's like blacksmithing or welding just cuz it ain't glowing mean it ain't hot. Guilty as well.

Biggin
12-09-2021, 09:01 PM
Dang phone! Don't mean it ain't hot.

Dusty Bannister
12-09-2021, 09:03 PM
A good friend of mine used to teach Metals at a High School nearby. One of the students may not have been paying attention but was watching another student cut off a piece of angle iron for a project. The first kid picked it up and immediately dropped it. Teacher asked if it was hot? Kid said, no, just does not take me long to look at it. That is what he told me, but I think it is a story.

txbirdman
12-09-2021, 09:06 PM
Yep. That’s why I cast in mechanic’s gloves.

charlie b
12-09-2021, 09:07 PM
ROFLMAO. I still get reminded of what hot is every now and then.

First I remember was as a little kid (6yo??). Mom had finished cooking on the electric oven. I knew that red meant hot but I just wondered what black was like, so, planted my hand on the still hot burner. The burners must have cooled a bit cause I just raised one blister. :)

Three44s
12-09-2021, 09:09 PM
That joke is used by our ranch hand and I. If there is something hot around and he gets in range of it, I warn him, “It won’t take you long to look at that one”.

We both get a chuckle as he brought that joke to me!

Three44s

G W Wade
12-09-2021, 09:11 PM
Funny thing is when you grab that hot one your natural reaction is the squeeze harder cause you think it's slipping. Too late GW

Winger Ed.
12-09-2021, 09:15 PM
Now days, I don't take off my heavy gloves until I'm done and push away from the bench.

country gent
12-09-2021, 09:48 PM
I used to tell Dad No matter how pretty they are they are still hot.

Minerat
12-09-2021, 10:23 PM
Do you know the even green PC'ed boolits right out of the oven are hot. and if the PC is still fluid it is even hotter.:cool:

Baltimoreed
12-09-2021, 10:41 PM
My .45 pc’s don’t stay hot for long as when they come out of the oven they get dropped into a 5 gal water cooler jug about half full of water. Cools them right off. Never gotten burned bad, knock on wood.

45workhorse
12-09-2021, 11:07 PM
Nope, never ever done that before[smilie=1:

in high school we would make aluminum casting of different things. Well pouring the molds you would get a little splatter on the ground I would wait till they were good and cool, pick up a piece and lay it on someone's hand/arm while they are watching, they would still jump like I just burned them.

Stephen Cohen
12-09-2021, 11:13 PM
normally cast at a purpose built table with rolled up edges so no danger of lead running down my lap, so I though, I dropped a 230gr .452 cast and it bounced into my lap, now all would have been good but I closed my legs to catch it. Missed the important bits but I still carry the mark above the knees. Regards Stephen

tazman
12-10-2021, 07:39 AM
That is one of the reasons I water quench from the mold.

buckwheatpaul
12-10-2021, 07:47 AM
…OK so it’s been a while since I cast. My typical routine is to cast several hundred if not more then size, lube and shoot for a year or more.

Recently I’ve aquired a new Uberti Sharps 45-70 and found I only had a few dozen BRP 420gr hollow point left so I fired up the lead pot — I had a new Miha 400gr Keith style mold I wanted to try. Heated up the hot plate and got to casting —- YUCK! Cold mold, wrinkly bullets ARRRGGH! Keep throwing them.

At last I started throwing really nice bullets, dumped the mold and thought “DANG that one is niicccc Aaaaaahhhhh!

I am now drinking coffee with my left hand for a week……as thumb and forefinger of righty are blistered…

Keep casting!

Art

Been there done that.....I learned a long time ago to wear welding gloves....glad you are going to be ok....a year or so ago someone rerun a post on safety and casting boolits.....like you it has been a while since I cast so .... at least at my age I need to review those safety...get well brother and have a wonderful and blessed Christmas!

pworley1
12-10-2021, 08:11 AM
Lead is like glass. You can't tell how hot it is by looking at it.

ioon44
12-10-2021, 08:40 AM
I use 4" needle nose pliers to pick everything when casting but here is another way to get burnt, while Hi-tek coating bullets I placed my hand on a tray of bullets to see if they were cool enough for the senond coat but placed my hand on the tray I had just taken out of the 400 deg F oven. Helps to pay attention

Bigslug
12-10-2021, 09:43 AM
You went full Joe Biden!

Never go full Joe Biden!

:kidding:

Markopolo
12-10-2021, 09:47 AM
"Use the Force Luke"

i have also found myself doing something like that... usually when I drop a bullet from water quenching....

georgerkahn
12-10-2021, 09:56 AM

Keep casting!

Art

Tazman - Obviously not the brightest bulb in the fixture, I (too-)readily get confused. I read your post assuming, as I've done more than a few times, that your stressed hand and blisters were from mould handling -- not heat?
I've been there/done that with many a brass mould, where it seemed like it took one zillion drops before (as close as I might get to) perfection. Due to age, atrophies, and/or ??? -- I've pretty much retired most many-cavity moulds for this reason, as well as stacking however necessary pieces of the free-be laminate flooring sample pieces from Home Depot under my mould to carry most of its weight while I cast.
Anyhoos... "curious George" here -- were you referring to maladies from heat; or, the activity?
geo

lightman
12-10-2021, 01:41 PM
It don't take long to look at a hot horseshoe!!!

Hope you heal quickly. Watch closely for any sign of infection.

gwpercle
12-10-2021, 04:16 PM
I've never done it ... but I don't wear gloves so I pay strict attention to what's hot and what's not ...
I also tend to pick up my moulds by the wood handles ... just a habit I've devolped ...just in case.
I also touch boolits lightly before picking them up , the hot ones look just like the cool ones !
Gary

parson48
12-10-2021, 04:55 PM
Aw, c'mon guys- I watched Daniel Boone (Fess Parker) release round balls directly from the mold into his hand! Guess that we just ain't that tough nowadays!;)