PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Mag

GregLaROCHE
12-09-2021, 08:47 AM
I just received a Mighty Mag in the mail today. I am planning to use it on my mini lathe to hold a dial indicator. While inspecting it and testing how strong the magnet was, I started to wonder if the magnet could harm my indicators. I’ve seen some indicators advertised as not being magnetic. Do I need to worry about a strong magnet damaging dial indicators like they can mechanical watches ?
Thanks
https://www.penntoolco.com/mighty-mag/

country gent
12-09-2021, 08:59 AM
It will affect the magnetic indicators over time but a pass thru a demagnetizer will fix it. I have a starrett mag back for the 2" indicators and it is hard on indicators.

Better is a block that clamps on the ways to hold the indicator,

Deadeye Bly
12-09-2021, 10:26 AM
I've used one for years with no ill effects on my indicators. I use it for length measurements as well to true up parts in the 4 jaw.

country gent
12-09-2021, 01:16 PM
There have been 2 that I know of the mighty mag base that mounted the indicator on a machine bed or table direct with no rods. And one of my personal favorites the mini mag that was basically a small magnetic base with rods swivels and fine adjustment. I like these small bases as less room is required (only about 1" square base). I have and use both the mighty mag mounts the indicator closer to the magnet almost right on top of it , inside the magnetic field possibly causing issues with unprotected indicators. They may become sluggish and or "sticky" until ran over a demagnetizer.

GregLaROCHE
12-09-2021, 02:41 PM
I’ve been planning to install this one vertically with the indicator sticking out at 90* to save space. If I had known about the Mini Mag, I might have gotten it instead.

Stockcarver
12-10-2021, 01:27 PM
Made this one some 35 years ago. WWII Federal Dial indicator and a mag base that was originally made for use with K&E Optical Measuring Equipment.

Works great, never had any problems with the indicator.

https://i.imgur.com/f0bJcky.jpg