PDA

View Full Version : Beartooth bullets?

Tazman1602
12-08-2021, 09:47 PM
Oh woe is me….I’ve used BTB over the years and after the purchase of a new Sharps last weekend went to their site….or tried to. I do like to try different bullets that I don’t have a mold for —- wife couldn’t believe that.

Anyhoo the site appears to be down and I really miss the technical notes Marshall used to write. No one I could find had a definitive answer but I did find an archive of their technical notes here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180904213442/http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/index.htm

Does anyone know what’s happening here? If this is the wrong forum mods please feel free to move it, really liked some of their heavy 45 caliber bullets and the information there.

Many Thanks,

Art

oley55
12-08-2021, 10:27 PM
I need to be careful here not putting out bogus or defamatory information, but a couple years ago (or longer) I came across some news/internet reports that Marshall had run afoul of the law for reasons unknown. Searches today generate virtually no information one way or the other.

The maintenance of their site has been in decline for a couple years and yes the loss of Marshall's tech notes and his personal (fairly aggressive) load data is a great loss in my opinion. There was a time when I believed The Shooters Forum (https://www.shootersforum.com/) and BTB were very closely associated (they use the same bullet profile logo on their sites), but at this point I am clueless.

All that said I plan to guard and keep safe my copy of J. Marshall Stanton's book, Beartooth Bullets, Technical Guide, A Comprehensive Guide for Attaining Unsurpassed Performance Using Cast Bullets. A go to for so many firearm to cast bullet fitment areas, especially for barrel slugging and fire lapping. Before I began casting my own, I purchased cast bullets from him and still have some left. Following his advice I managed to fire lap and tune a 357mag Rossi R92 with 24" barrel that consistently generates 1.5" groups at 100 yards with 185gr GC'd bullets with a tang sight.

Wherever Marshall is today I wish him and his family well.

Tazman1602
12-08-2021, 10:30 PM
I agree Oley , I found almost zero explanation as to what happened but I sure miss those bullets, I have one box of 500 grain bullets left that I’ll just have to make do with. Very sad….

Art

oley55
12-08-2021, 10:45 PM
I agree Oley , I found almost zero explanation as to what happened but I sure miss those bullets, I have one box of 500 grain bullets left that I’ll just have to make do with. Very sad….

Art

you would think we could find some mention or discussion of what happened on a shooting/reloading forum, but I have not found them.

Mr Peabody
12-09-2021, 07:47 AM
Last I knew he sold the site and wasn't involved in any of it. I was able to come up with an address but got no reply for an order. Too bad too I always enjoyed him and his wifes efforts.

PhilC
12-09-2021, 03:09 PM
Last word I read on Shooter's forum 3mos ago stated he's swamped and dealing with broken supply chains. Another post a month ago was referred to the same. The individual who posted that response implied he is in contact with Marshall outside of the bullet business so I take that to mean he's still working toward filling orders.

I'm waiting on an order placed 3/1/21 and my brother for one plaecd a short while later.

winelover
12-10-2021, 07:22 AM
Twenty years ago, Beartooth was filling orders at a snails pace. I guess nothing has changed. Still have some of his 235 grain .338 caliber bullets on the shelf.

Winelover

Groundpounder17
12-17-2021, 05:37 PM
I didn't realize his site was down until I recently looked. So is this temporary or permanent?