PDA

View Full Version : First powder coat bullet results and sight foolery with my 45-70 Encore

rickt300
12-08-2021, 04:28 PM
Well I powder coated a couple of bullets the shake and bake way. Some 340 gr. from the lee mold and some 255 grain bullets from another Lee mold this one designed for the 45 colt. The 340 gr. Lee bullets as coated and unsized were in the .465 diameter area. The bullets from the 255 gr. RF mold were around .460 so I loaded some of them as powdercoated as my size die has not arrived yet. The first 5 showed my my front sight was too short so I took a taller one from another Encore barrel I had and mounted it. This turned out to be too tall as at 30 yards my bullets hit some 3 inches low. Accuracy was much better though with the second set of 5 because of the load. I used 28.0 grains of I4227 with the first 5 which did not obturate the case leaving them smoky all the way back to the rim and powder fouling big time in the barrel. The second load was 31.0 grains of the same powder which did have enough juice to obturate the case and enough pressure to leave a pretty clean barrel. However there was no leading or anything else coming off the bullets which with the second load were going at least 1700 fps. So next try will be with 14.0 grains of Unique. Possibly a slower load will hit higher.

rickt300
12-08-2021, 05:07 PM
Nope hit to the same POI. Still no sign of leading. Guess I will wait for my RCBS 405 gr. mold to get here and see if it offers a higher poi. I will say the Encore with these loads is just fun to shoot though it is a pretty light rifle.